Sport Bikes banner
81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Keyser Söze
1,360 Posts
great post man!!! i have been hearing about the guy with the f4i and the miles on the bike. then i heard about the wreck and wondered how far the motor would have taken you. i'm glad to hear that everything is back up and running man. also i'm glad to hear that i have chosen the right oil for my bikes. i have used moble 1 in the last two bike and the current bike i have now. i hope i can hit 17x,xxx+ as well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
WOW!!!! Congratulation!!!!! Thanks for all those pictures and writings!!!! I have not visited this site for a long time, but then I feel that I am really lucky to catch this thread!!!! I also put a lot of efforts in maintaining my sets of wheels, but for whatever reason I couldn't keep them for long; I had to move a few times, and I had to give away or sell them. I didn't get a chance to see if all those careful steps in maintenance does any good to the machine in the long run. YOU DID IT! Long live MAN and Machine! Once again, Thank You!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Congrats on bringing the bike back to life!

Question: What kind of commute do you have to put so many miles on that thing? You probably go through a set of tires every month or two?

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Great stuff here, takes me back to building/rebuilding racebikes back in the day. Awesome job brother! And PS the I 285 Gran Prix made my chuckle lol.

·
They call me a ride whore
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Well guys, just figured I'd post a little update on how she's doing. Not all too much to say other than.... bike is running great!!

Just went out and snapped this a few mins ago... logged exactly 15,316 miles since April 3rd when I got her running again after the wreck (177,428). In that time she's taken me all throughout North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Virginia, and Maryland without even so much as a hiccup, and still going strong as ever and ridden each and every day. She did the 120 mile/day commute thing every single day (M-F) for 2 months straight without even batting an eye (errr headlight)

Only issue I've had was a couple weeks ago, I was over in Hickory, NC on my way to Best Buy, sitting at a long stop light and noticed I hadn't heard my cooling fan come on. Look down at the temp and it's at 231... 235... 239... uh oh! Quickly pull into a parking lot and discover my cooling fan blade is broken right in the center where it attaches to the motor shaft, so the motor is spinning but not the blade... arg! I just replaced this blade about a year ago for breaking in the exact same spot. I just put my old one back on for now that I fixed with some JB Weld and it's working fine for now... gotta go order another one tomorrow. That's the only thing though... everything else motor/trans related is perfect!

That's about it... 7,256 until the big 200k mark, shouldn't be too long. I think she'll make it there just fine.... :)

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Glad to hear everything's still running good Jared. I may be headed down your way in a few weeks once I get my GPS back from being fixed. I've got an itch for a road trip lately.

·
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Glad to hear everything's still running good Jared. I may be headed down your way in a few weeks once I get my GPS back from being fixed. I've got an itch for a road trip lately.
Oh yea?? Sweeet!! Def let me know when you head down this way...

And if you need a place to stay, you know my door is always open if you need it. I got all moved into my new house, so plenty of space :banana

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Oh yea?? Sweeet!! Def let me know when you head down this way...

And if you need a place to stay, you know my door is always open if you need it. I got all moved into my new house, so plenty of space :banana
I got a Saddlesore 1000 route planned out that takes me down to the dragon/skyway/28 etc. so I may be going that way. I would have to meet up with you and then you could break off whenever. Maybe stop for a quick bite to eat, but I'll likely have to use up the entire 24 hours to get it done since it's a lot of slow twisty roads halfway through.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
... That's about it... 7,256 until the big 200k mark, shouldn't be too long. I think she'll make it there just fine.... :)
:dblthumb

PhilB

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,896 Posts
Just went out and snapped this a few mins ago... logged exactly 15,316 miles since April 3rd when I got her running again after the wreck (177,428). In that time she's taken me all throughout North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Virginia, and Maryland without even so much as a hiccup, and still going strong as ever and ridden each and every day. She did the 120 mile/day commute thing every single day (M-F) for 2 months straight without even batting an eye (errr headlight)
I remember when you got that job. Did you move closer or did you get a different job?

·
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
I remember when you got that job. Did you move closer or did you get a different job?
Still working at the same place, just moved closer about a month ago. Was supposed to live in the old house for another month to fulfill my lease, but shit hit the fan bad with the landlord after the house began growing black mold everywhere and we were all getting sick, and she wouldn't do anything about it. So all 3 of us broke our lease the same week and moved out. I found an awesome place way out in the sticks, and I'm now about 20 miles away from work. I can't remember if I posted up picture of the house on here or not... I'll check here in a sec and post them up if I haven't yet, keep an eye out

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Man, m4d props for you! Really! I would never have done all that work lol...much respect and I must say, great pictorial. It looked like almost a DIY tutorial lol.

At the same time, thanks for reminding me of all the good times I had in my college F-SAE team. I spent a great deal of college time watching that same exact engine (both outside and inside) :)

Bring on the 200k!!!

·
5,366 Posts
it definitely wouldn't have been worth rebuilding if you had to pay someone to do all the work you did. Seriously cool story man.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Wow, I don't know how you do it. There seems to be a ton of steps involved in a rebuild, you are definitely talented! Thanks for the pics too, it was very cool to follow you through the process.

·
Registered
78 Posts
awesome write up. Wish I had those kind of skills.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,896 Posts
Wow, I don't know how you do it. There seems to be a ton of steps involved in a rebuild, you are definitely talented! Thanks for the pics too, it was very cool to follow you through the process.
Nevermind the steps, those are "easy" if you have a service manual... (you know, "reassemble X, Y or Z", wich to the mere mortal means, you're screwed, and can only be understood by a trained mechanic)

What is really terrifying is the ammount of parts involved. I've rebuilt small 150cc 4 stroke motors (chinese CG150, 4 stroke 5 speed) and you have to be extremely carefull with all the little parts, the order in wich they go, even the orientation of some parts, that really look the same either way, could make the engine blow up.
In the case of the Chinese CGs there was a little locking tab, but the service manual nor the parts manual said how it would fit, and you could put it in there three different ways. Had to remove the stator/flywheel on another one to figure it out.

·
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Not sure if anybody cares or not..... but just figured I'd update in here that as of today it's now been exactly 100,000 miles since doing this whole motor fiasco back in 2010. Being that I re-used all the old stuff (bearings, rings, pistons, etc) I honestly wasn't sure how long it would last, I mainly just wanted to get past the 200k mark. Well here I am at 277,428.... exactly 100k from when this originally happened, and she's still running like brand new, and I've had zero engine problems whatsoever (unless you count a thermowax valve, lol). She's done me 6 flawless trackdays in this time, and continued to put many smiles on my face. Unless I have another spat with gravity, I don't think she'll have any problems making it to 300k. And yes, still on the same original clutch, lol

Anyways.... a few pics from my ride home from work today

She's got some battle scars for sure.... but still try and keep her somewhat clean

And of course I had to take the scenic route home. Nothing wrong with that, right??

Still runs smooth and quiet, doesn't burn or leak any oil, no smoke, and starts right up every time

F4i start - YouTube

From a couple months ago..... had gone a little over on one oil change, this is what drained out after almost 7,000 miles. Doesn't look half bad, I'd say

Anyways.... I'm happy, she's still going strong so I guess we'll continue to see just how far she'll go!

81 - 100 of 105 Posts