Sport Bikes banner
61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
You're a Daisy if ya do
8,534 Posts
Man, that was AWESOME. Thanks for taking the time to let us see your work!!! I'll bet positng the pics in here was no small feat either. LOL

I'm curious though, did you put in a new CCT? I thought those engines had a lot of problems with them.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
What kind of oil did you run for the majority of that 177K miles?

·
They call me a ride whore
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
What kind of oil did you run for the majority of that 177K miles?
When the bike was new, I broke it in using the regular Honda dino oil. Then at 5000 miles switched it to Mobil 1 full syn 15w-50 at the time, now 10w-40 (they didn't have the 10-40 way back when). Yes, the car oil... it works just fine :) Been using that ever since, changed like clockwork every 5000 miles

I used the Rotella here just because I didn't want to use the synthetic right off that bat, and let everything get settled into place. And I knew I'd be changing it again shortly after (600 miles). Next oil change I'll go back to the Mobil 1... it's treated me well!

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Looks real good thirdgen. I'm hopefully finishing up my F3 mechanically tomorrow. It had been knocked over twice by different goons, so the plastics came off to get painted, and it was around 55000 miles, so it got a nice valve adjustment, new cam chain, and a lot of other little stuff. Interestingly enough though, my exhaust cam came out with a crack near the threads where you bolt the sprocket onto it. That set me back a bit waiting for a new cam, but oh well.

It's kind of cool to see how very similar the F4i top end is to the F3. They definitely look related, but I do have two cam covers instead of the one piece cover.

Congrats on getting her back on the road!

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
HOLY SMOKES!!!

I change my oil and feel super proud of myself.......can't imagine how you feel!

Good job dude! Simply fantastic accomplishment.

edit--just watched your youtube video of the bike turning over at 100k. The anticipation made me feel like a little kid [email protected]

:cheers

RC

·
Now an official Cyborg...
235 Posts
Wow, thats one hell of a project. Nice job...

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
great job on the rebuild! you put so much work into that bike, you deserve to just enjoy it.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Really nice job. Very well documented as well.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Your threads never cease to draw me in; this one especially. You did one Hell of a job, and big, big kudos to you for keeping the engine as original as you could. As soon as I started reading about the new engine, I was crossing my fingers that you'd use as little of that engine as possible lol. The results couldn't have been better.

Congrats on getting her back up and running down the road again. Here's to another 178K miles and more! :cheers
+1000000!! Good for you man, such an awesome story as always, I actually smiled when I watched that video clip. And good decision to use your parts. :bowdown

·
Making Horizons Vertical
1,871 Posts
You are the man, nice job, you definitely have waaay more patience than I have.

·
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Awesome. I, for one, am glad you decided to use your internals. Keeps it mostly original. Good on you, man. I don't know if I would have been able to strip my bike down and pull apart the engine like you have. I'm slowly getting there, but not there yet.

Let me know if you head north on the Parkway so we can meet up. I'll be riding up the entire Southern section of the BRP into VA on the 25th so maybe you can meet up with us on our way back from Deals Gap.
Thanks!! I too am very glad I decided to use my original internals.... had my fingers crossed for awhile there hoping it would work, but it all worked out in the end so now I'm glad that I did, lol

And yea I'd love to meet up with you guys!! Blue Ridge Parkway is literally just up the road from me... I take it all the time. If you come down by Asheville just keep in mind that the Parkway is still closed south of 191 going into Pisgah. What day you guys coming through? 25th as in 5 days from now?? I'll send you a PM with my contact info, regardless give me a call or shoot me a text when you guys get down in NC and we'll definitely set something up wherever. Even if we don't get to ride, at least meet up for lunch/dinner or something... I love meeting up with new people!

·
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Wow... Major Props!! That is just awesome you saved a bike most guys would have scrapped.

I have a question... When you bought it back from the insurance company after being totaled did you get a branded salvage title and need to get it inspected or did you get to keep your clean title? I have bought totaled vehicles before and always got the salvage title but never bought one back I already owned.
Thanks!! Unfortunately it is now a salvage title. Although it doesn't really change anything, and I'm not planning on selling it so that's not a problem. Didn't have to get it inspected (we do have annual inspections though so it will be inspected later this year regardless, so I can renew my sticker), and it didn't change anything with my insurance... still have the same full coverage that I always did and my rates did not change. So it's really not affecting me at all, I was just proud of my nice clean and clear title, lol

·
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Awesome! So glad to see her back up and running. Here's to another 200k

Out of curiosity, have you always used Rotella?
Actually no.... believe it or not this is the first time I've ever used it. Known tons of people that have been using it in their bikes for a looooong time though, so I knew it was good oil. I normally run strictly Mobil 1 full syn 10w-40 (yes, the car oil....) ever since the bike had 5,000 miles on it, and it's changed like clockwork every 5,000 miles. I only used the Rotella here because in a sense, it has to 'break in' again, so I didn't want to use the synthetic. Rotella is a good yet cheap oil, and I knew I'd be changing it out again in a couple hundred miles, I went with that. I changed the oil after 600 miles cuz it was getting a little funky from washing out all the assembly lube I used (which is black). Put some more Rotella in again and it's staying much cleaner this time. I'll run it up to 180k and change it again, and go back to the Mobil 1 I was using, and get back on my normal 5,000 mile oil change intervals

·
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Impressive to say the least!!!
It's really cool to see someone not just throw away a great bike
when the skills and motivation are obviously there.

One question, did you do a final total on everything that went into
putting that gem back together?

Parts list and $???
Thanks!! Yea I've always been one to try and get the most out of everything I own, so it seemed like the only logical solution to me. I guess growing up dirt poor you learn to make the most out of what you have and making it last cuz you couldn't afford to buy new stuff, lol. I'm that way with alot of stuff

Final total... I didn't go through and add it up to an exact amount, but it was right around $1100, including the plastics and new engine. Really not that bad considering!

·
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Man, that was AWESOME. Thanks for taking the time to let us see your work!!! I'll bet positng the pics in here was no small feat either. LOL

I'm curious though, did you put in a new CCT? I thought those engines had a lot of problems with them.
Thanks!! Yea posting pics on this forum is always a chore with the 5 picture per post limit, lol. 207 pictures here, so lots of cut/paste, hahah

F4i's are indeed known for having CCT problems (pretty much the only problem they have). My original CCT started rattling around 32k miles, I replaced it with another OEM one and it lasted about 11k miles. At that time I did a little modifying to the OEM CCT with a longer bolt in the end of it with a locknut to lock the piston in place. That worked great and I never had another problem with it until 100k miles. Then I had to take it out to adjust a couple valves, and for whatever reason it just didn't want to go back into place properly. So I replaced it with an APE manual CCT at 100k. Problem solved.... never had another CCT noise since! Best $50 I ever spent!

·
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Anyways, thanks guys soooo much for all the compliments and kind words!! Really glad you enjoyed the pics and story!! Makes me feel good knowing I'm not the only one that appreciates all the hard work that went into this project. I've now logged just over 2,000 miles on her since I got her up and running again, and have not had a single problem! I changed the oil once already after the first 600 miles (it was getting a little funky from washing out all the assembly lube, which was black). Put some more Rotella in again and been keeping an eye on it, and it's staying perfectly clean, but gonna change it at 180k and go back to the Mobil 1, and get back on my normal oil change schedule. Not burning or leaking a drop of oil! Or any fluid for that matter, lol.

I rode her down to the track at Road Atlanta in Braselton, Georgia over the weekend to watch the AMA Superbike races (awesome!!), and she did great!

61 - 80 of 105 Posts