Sport Bikes banner

41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
They call me a ride whore
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The wreck happened at exactly 177,428 miles..... been riding her for about 5.5 days now and logged exactly 951 miles (as of this posting... 8 days and 1300-ish miles). Still running absolutely perfect, and haven't had a single problem! First full tank of fuel I burned through I got 42.87 MPG, so I would venture to say she's running pretty good!

And last but not least..... one INCREDIBLY happy thirdgenlxi

Phew.... that's all the pics! Thank god, I've been typing this for about 5 hours now, and really getting a headache, lol. But yea, everything ended up working out in the end, and I'm just happy to have my baby back, and still running on about 95% of her original engine. I swapped EVERYTHING from my old engine to the new block, everything down to the neutral indicator switch, oil pressure sensor, and thermostat housing. Only parts used from the new engine were the block, crank and crank bearings, and starter (mine started giving probs after I took it out). Every other part in or on the engine.... original. It may not be 100% anymore like it was, but hey, given the situation I think it's the best solution I had to keep her as original as I possibly could. And it worked! And for all the people that kept telling me it wasn't worth it, and it was gonna cost more to fix it than it would be to buy a new bike, hear this: Grand total for EVERYTHING I did was right at $1100. I used the remaining $2200 to pay off a $2200 credit card debt that's been hanging over my head for waaaayyyy too long now, so it's completely gone. So now I have MY bike back, and no debt at all.... I think I like my way of handling this situation a little better than alot of the responses I got, lol. Plus I've got a box full of engine parts to sell, maybe make a few bucks back!

Anyways, hope you all enjoyed the pics! Sorry if I made your computer crash. Roadtrip pics will be soon to follow!

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
respect. looks great, amazing job!

and amazing how a well maintained and properly used engine can be in such great shape than one with less than 10% the use

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Awesome. I, for one, am glad you decided to use your internals. Keeps it mostly original. Good on you, man. I don't know if I would have been able to strip my bike down and pull apart the engine like you have. I'm slowly getting there, but not there yet.

Let me know if you head north on the Parkway so we can meet up. I'll be riding up the entire Southern section of the BRP into VA on the 25th so maybe you can meet up with us on our way back from Deals Gap.

·
Jive Turkey
4,528 Posts
Your threads never cease to draw me in; this one especially. You did one Hell of a job, and big, big kudos to you for keeping the engine as original as you could. As soon as I started reading about the new engine, I was crossing my fingers that you'd use as little of that engine as possible lol. The results couldn't have been better.

Congrats on getting her back up and running down the road again. Here's to another 178K miles and more! :cheers

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Wow... Major Props!! That is just awesome you saved a bike most guys would have scrapped.

I have a question... When you bought it back from the insurance company after being totaled did you get a branded salvage title and need to get it inspected or did you get to keep your clean title? I have bought totaled vehicles before and always got the salvage title but never bought one back I already owned.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Looks like fun, man!

Kinda jealous that you have your bike all fixed... I have like 3 sitting in my trailer that need the same kind of treatment, and no place to work on them... it'll be at least another year before I even LOOK at them, probably.... :(

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Congratulations.

If it had taken you about another week, I could have caught up with your mileage for a moment, before you pulled away again. Harumph. :D

Anyhow, here's to many more safe miles. :beer

And thanks for the writeup and pics.

PhilB

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
you totally just made me hella late for work cause I couldn't stop reading- that was awesome thank you so much for spending the time to write that up. I have no ability to do that whatso ever and it blows my mind that you did that- congrats on getting her up and running.

:D Keep her shiny side up!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Impressive to say the least!!!
It's really cool to see someone not just throw away a great bike
when the skills and motivation are obviously there.

One question, did you do a final total on everything that went into
putting that gem back together?

Parts list and $???

·
Registered
539 Posts
I owned an F4i and this was soooo cool! to see exactly what the engine internals looked like, and how tough and reliable of a bike it actually was!!!

ps I am and Engineering student and I don't think I would trust myself re-building a bike like this ha ha props man, you have serious talent!!!

·
My baby's daddy...
304 Posts
Awesome write up.
I'm not jealous of your reason behind needing to do the build, but...just on the skills and the drive to do it.

·
BIRDMAN
2,559 Posts
This was a great read. Thanks for your efforts putting it all up here.
You should feel proud of the work you did.
Too another 177k miles, cheers

41 - 60 of 105 Posts