Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after a few years hiatus(I'm honestly surprised my membership here is still active it's been so long!) I think the time has come to buy another toy.

I've been throwing around the idea of trading my 2012 wrx in for a older m3, audi, porsche, something along those lines...but then it dawned on me I never had as much fun in a car, as I did on my old 92 ninja 500(I had it for 3 years and absolutely loved it, and it was perfect for me at the time, 16 years old-19 years old)

So, this time around I am definitely thinking a i4 600 or b*****, although I imagine a 600 will be far more than I ever need. If the opportunity arises I will purchase something b*****, but not needed.

I am looking into the early 2000 lineup, from cbr600(I've owned many honda vehicles over the years so if reliability is similar, I can see why the used ones I am seeing have such high mileage), zx6r(all seem to be fairly low mileage, still asking a pretty high premium), gsxr600(I honestly do not know much about suzuki)...

The one thing I notice is how VARIED all of the pricing is, from ebay, to local classifieds, there are no constant rules for anything(that I can tell). I know I am wanting something that:
1. Doesn't need any fairing repair
2. Has not been laid over in a major way
3. Has been well maintained/garaged

I've got all my gear lined out already. Would it be unreasonable to be looking to pick up something in good condition from the years listed for around $2500?

Thanks in advance, and I am GLAD TO BE BACK!

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Well after a few years hiatus(I'm honestly surprised my membership here is still active it's been so long!) I think the time has come to buy another toy.

I've been throwing around the idea of trading my 2012 wrx in for a older m3, audi, porsche, something along those lines...but then it dawned on me I never had as much fun in a car, as I did on my old 92 ninja 500(I had it for 3 years and absolutely loved it, and it was perfect for me at the time, 16 years old-19 years old)

So, this time around I am definitely thinking a i4 600 or b*****, although I imagine a 600 will be far more than I ever need. If the opportunity arises I will purchase something b*****, but not needed.

I am looking into the early 2000 lineup, from cbr600(I've owned many honda vehicles over the years so if reliability is similar, I can see why the used ones I am seeing have such high mileage), zx6r(all seem to be fairly low mileage, still asking a pretty high premium), gsxr600(I honestly do not know much about suzuki)...

The one thing I notice is how VARIED all of the pricing is, from ebay, to local classifieds, there are no constant rules for anything(that I can tell). I know I am wanting something that:
1. Doesn't need any fairing repair
2. Has not been laid over in a major way
3. Has been well maintained/garaged

I've got all my gear lined out already. Would it be unreasonable to be looking to pick up something in good condition from the years listed for around $2500?

Thanks in advance, and I am GLAD TO BE BACK!
$2500 is a pretty tall order. I've noticed that bikes worth buying usually start at $3000-3500 at a minimum for a 600 SS. $4k-5k gets you a pretty damn good bike.

Also think about the Triumph Daytona 675.
Not at $2500.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Take your time. The worst thing you can do is an impulse buy. Be patient and eventually you'll find a really good deal.

You sound kind of undecided on what bike you want. Do some more research and use the extra time to save money. The more money you have to play with, the more choices you will have.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I'd save up another 1-1.5k. You may find a decent F4i in the 2500 range, but it's probably going to need work and it's going to be very high mileage. Not that high mileage is bad, especially on a Honda, but it's bad if it wasn't taken care of well. I'm at about 65k on my mileage, but with brand new fairings I could probably still get 2k for it.

·
Swollen Member
745 Posts
$2500 would get you another stellar 500r...

Around here, $2500 is at the low, unrewarding end of the price/condition curve. For an additional 50% ($3750 total) you would be looking at bikes that are nearly twice (100% again) as good of condition. To be less windy, double the money will give you 5 times the bike.

Exceptions exist in the cruiser world, but with the sportbikes/standards market I follow, that is my opinion.

$2500 is workable, but you must be very patient for the opportune moment, I mean bike. For that money, an F3, F4i or FZR600 may present itself and be worthwhile.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'd bump it to 3000. You can talk most 3500 bikes down to 3200ish.
If you wait for a while, prices will go down since its winter. Atleast around here.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the responses, gentlemen! There is a 09 ninja 650r 3500 miles for 3k..thinking about it, but really want to go the inline 4 route. I will definitely adjust my pricing..i can afford more but i just kind of set that as a baseline.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
280 Posts
The Ninja 650r is a great bike to get your feet wet again. Any reason you want an inline 4 vs Twin? Twins make great street bikes. Of course, the bikes you're originally looking for are very fast and scream. The 650r isn't as aggressive.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wonder how much performance difference there is between the 500 I had & the 650. Is what i posted a pretty reasonable price?

I remember thinking my 500 was fun, but I always wanted to feel what a i4 was like. Seeing as I was 16 when i purchased it I did the responsible thing & went with the twin. Thinking I would really like the i4.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
I wonder how much performance difference there is between the 500 I had & the 650. Is what i posted a pretty reasonable price?

I remember thinking my 500 was fun, but I always wanted to feel what a i4 was like. Seeing as I was 16 when i purchased it I did the responsible thing & went with the twin. Thinking I would really like the i4.

The 650R has about 15hp more. The i4's are roughly twice as much hp. The 650R is better ergonomics for riding on the street, the SS bikes are better at the track/aggressive riding. Insurance is going to cost much more on the i4's along with gas/tires/chains.

Just depends on what you want to get out of it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tempting on the 650r..for $3k I think I could flip it pretty easily & make a decent profit & then have the excess to pick up the 600 I am wanting.

I imagine the insurance is considerably different.

The reason for wanting a i4 is purely speed related lol. Honestly I am looking at a i4 because I think it will help fuel my need for speed as opposed to getting a older m3(even though I realize there is no comparison speed wise), or a rs4, or something equal to that.

I have no problem with the more agressive positioning. I would definitely like to track it if I can find something close by.

I think I am leaning toward the cbr600rr line as of now. Styling is very cool. Otherwise possibly the r6.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Been wrecked? I know it's been painted. No decals, and only 1 mirror?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think this will be a great purchase... Assuming the bike is well sorted. Don't think that you can't go fast on this bike. There's something to be said about making a slow bike go fast rather than trying to ride a fast bike slow. Take it to the track! Learn a thing or two and then just get better at riding it. Then, when you step up to a more aggressive (notice I didn't say I4) bike, you'll know what to do with it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 28 Posts