Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

My name is Lance and I am 19 years old. I live in Virginia and have wanted a bike for quite some time now. I'll be driving to college this fall (one way is about 45 miles, route 20 in central VA) two or three days a week. Anyways, I'm thinking of taking the MSF course this summer and then picking up a bike this fall before school starts. I'd like to ride the bike to school and back at least twice a week, other times I'd be driving my truck. Of course if it's rainy or snowy I'll take the truck. It's a simple two lane country road to my college.

As for the bike, a Suzuki GS500 or something similar is my choice. Am I foolish in thinking that I could take MSF, get a bike and go ahead and run to college and back? Or is that too much to undertake as a new rider? It's a great road to drive on and has a variety of turns/straights. Any comments would be appreciated. I know no one here knows the exact road, but I'm just trying to decide if it's too much to bite off as a new rider.

Thanks,
Lance

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Pratice first and only when you feel confortable then ride on the road. Good choice on first bike.

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
Welcome to the board!!

I personally think that the best thing for a new rider to do (after taking the MSF course) is to just put some miles on their bike and get plenty of seat time to gain experience. You would be amazed at how many little, unique situations you will run into just on a normal daily commute. Dealing with these little things that come up during the course of normal riding just help you as a rider. Plus getting experience on a familiar road is much better than learnig on a strange road that you don't know very well. That's just one less thing to worry about while you are learning.

Good choice on the GS500.

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
Well that's basically the same time and way I started - except my 20 miles was Washington State's Route 522 which at the time was one of the deadliest roads in the USA. Seems like they had a major collision on there once a month or so. (Two lane rural highway with some big hills so the trucks would bog down and then people would try to pass.) I survived and, if you use your head, so can you. I think it's a pretty typical way to start out, trying to save gas on a longish commute - that's good.

Read all the stickies and find out what you should know to start with. Then, if you think it's for you, go fo it.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
first off hello and welcome. The gs is a good bike to start out w/and w/the msf course under your belt just keep practicing and keep an eye out for cars and you should be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts