Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't watch TV a whole lot and I just can't follow a schedule...

For example, I know there will be a football game on Monday nights, I will usually realize I missed it 2 hours after it ended. So usually, when I watch a sitcom or something else I care about, it's online.

But there is something cable does for me, I can't sleep without the TV being on. I used to live in a condo by a very noisy street, so I had to have the TV and the fan on to drown the street noise. Sometimes it also helps give my mind something to think about and keep my anxiety lower.

So I was thinking about getting some Android TV Dongles, plugging them into the TVs and building a media server. That way I can play random content on my bedroom TV and I can go online for new tv shows or whatever.

Then I went and did some maths...

Cable bill: $40 a month
Android dongle $80 x 2
Media server $400

Just the gear needed to cut the cable would cover the cable bill for 14 months! And Netflix, and other services, are not free. With my current cable service I'll be able to see Moto GP races, a WSBK race here and there, old movies at odd hours when I can't sleep, etc. So on top of the cost of the gear, I'd have to add to that the cost of those online services, like a MotoGP suscription...

So, unless I'm missing something, I'm keeping the cable.

Any ideas on how to get rid of the cable in a more cost effective way?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I'm thinking the same thing, but if my cable bill was $40 I'd be happy as can be. Mine is double that for a basic package.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I haven't had cable for over 2 years and when I did it was only because my ex wouldn't let me get rid of it. My setup is a Jailbroken AppleTV2 (You can't break the ATV3s) running XBMC. As much as I'm not an Apple fan, I'm pretty happy with this setup. You get the standard viewing options (netflix, hulu plus, apple tv/movie rental, etc) then with XBMC I'm able to stream any format video file as well as install 3rd party apps to be able to watch live tv, sports, movies, etc. Problem is, it's almost impossible to get a cheap ATV2 now that everyone knows you can't jailbreak the ATV3s. Oh yeah, don't forget the rabbit ears.

I hear you can do slightly the same with the newer roku boxes, but I have no idea how easy it is to set those up. If you have an Xbox360, I know there's a way to install XBMC which is where the real powerhouse of the streaming comes from. So for the cost of my 20mb cable line (45/month) I'm getting everything I want.

I also hear you on the noise thing. When my son was first born we used to sleep with the TV on because it provided a night light/noise for the kiddo. Eventually we cut it out so he would sleep all night long and it took awhile to adjust to it. Now I only sleep with the fans on because it helps drown out the alleyway noise, but otherwise the TV stays off.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I have amazon prime, netflix and primewire.ag and tubeplus.me with adblock installed on chrome.

dont pay $400 for a media server, buy a cheap computer. i have one hooked up to my tv and use this wireless keyboard with touchpad: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-Built-In-Multi-Touch/dp/B005DKZTMG[/ame]

works perfect and you can stream movies from the computer to any tablet or tv or laptop. I have a few external hard drives hooked up to backup all my devices and to store all the movies, etc. i have.

i do not miss my $100+cable bill at all.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
I never had a $100 cable bill, but it was close to that with Cable and Internet for a while. Now I'm down to $26 for internet, and $80/year for Prime.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
DVD player yo. or you can fall asleep to broadcast. broadcast is free, you get like 5 channels. I had it for about 4 years

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DVD player yo. or you can fall asleep to broadcast. broadcast is free, you get like 5 channels. I had it for about 4 years
Broadcast around here is THE SUCK. Honestly, I haven't bothered even trying it in the last 4 years, it is THAT bad. There are only 2 TV stations, 5 channels, and 75% of the time they are running ads.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
also keep in mind netflix and others may not work in mexico. just look into it so you don't cut off the cable and find out nothing on that media player is able to work.

and btw, i also do not have cable or sat anymore. I also live in an area that I cannot pick up anything with an antenna. so I have very limited choices. my area is a monopoly. so I can only get time warner cable or direct tv for sat. sat is close to $100 a month and basic cable has such poor picture quality it is like watching a old worn out vhs tape that got stuck in the player 10 times. that's not a stretch of the truth either.
so I do the internet player stuff.
but netflix and hulu plus etc are paid subscriptions and do not have all the shit they like you to think they do. sometimes netfix will have newer movies that are actually worth seeing but it's rare and only for a small window of time. hulu has better up to date tv shows but are often shown 1 -2 days behind their air date.

theres a few sports channels but again, you have to subscribe to them to watch.
all in all it's not that great of a deal if you factor in all of that on top of the internet bill. also keep in mind the brand of media player you get will not offer what the other brand might. it's not a free for all of choices on these things. something none of them mention on the box etc.
so I might be able to get MLB (major league baseball) with my western digital player but not on another brand.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My $40 a month gets me two TVs, one with the basic package and one HDTV with HDTV channels plus the basic package.

There is Netflix here, and other services, content is a bit different though.

I think I'm keeping the cable, the "startup costs" to cut it are too steep and considering the cost of other streaming services, it just doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
AT $40 a month I would probably keep cable. My cable was over 100 a month so I went with Roku 3. I use it for everything now and cant complain one bit. Never watched alot of TV so its no big deal. I get plenty of stuff for free and only pay for Amazon Prime which I had before anyway. I signed up for Netflix and Hulu plus which total like $10 or something a month. I dont miss cable at all. Internet I already had so that is nothing extra. Basically I save about $100 a month.

I also only use 1 TV in the living room. I have one in the bedroom but not sure why. If I am in the bedroom I am sleeping or having a form of fun relationship building :banana :bigkiss... not watching TV for sure.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I haven't had cable TV for over 4 years now. I just have a broadband connection.

I do pay for Netflix and I have paid for Hulu Plus. I use gaming consoles to stream Netflix, Hulu Plus, or Amazon movie rentals. The few time's I've needed to see something that I can't stream through a PS3/XBox/Wii, I just watch on my PC. I have hooked the TV up to my PC's vid/audio out; but I've gotten into the habit of just watching whatever it is on the computer directly.

I'm not a big televised sports fan, so living without live TV is pretty easy for me.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I haven't had cable TV for over 4 years now. I just have a broadband connection.

I do pay for Netflix and I have paid for Hulu Plus. I use gaming consoles to stream Netflix, Hulu Plus, or Amazon movie rentals. The few time's I've needed to see something that I can't stream through a PS3/XBox/Wii, I just watch on my PC. I have hooked the TV up to my PC's vid/audio out; but I've gotten into the habit of just watching whatever it is on the computer directly.

I'm not a big televised sports fan, so living without live TV is pretty easy for me.

this is me- minus all the gaming stuff. TV hooked to computer- watch all things via that way. it's nice. I'm an internet junkie- bad TV is on Netflix- so I'm straight!

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
I was without cable for a year and did not really miss it. I just hooked my laptop up to my TV with an HDMi cable to watch movies on amazon prime, or MotoGP with a video pass. I eventually got a blue ray player with a bunch of apps, like Pandora (which I already subscribed to for years anyway), and hulu (which I began subscribing to). I have cable now, but I hardly ever watch it. Mainly the weather channel.

I still prefer hulu because it has more stuff I want to watch than cable ever did. There's another app called vudu that is hulu for movies, but I don't watch movies enough to make it worth paying for.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Been highly debating this myself. Currently I pay $189-ish per month for Comcast Cable. I have 1 dvr, 1 HD box, Starz and 15/5 internet. The only thing I watch with any regularity is the morning news to see the weather report.

Now I have a smart tv, PS4 and PS3. I watch Hulu+ regularly and use Vudu for prime movies. I could up my internet speed significantly, drop cable tv and still cut my bill in half. My only real issue is I guess the local broadcasts. Haven't tried hooking the coax directly into the tv. And Comcast can get nasty at times, using a RF filter to trap out video signals and encoding everything. I know, I used to work for them

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts
I quit watching TV almost 15 years ago when I lived in South Korea. All we got was AFN and a bunch of local channels off-post.

We have a TV, but the only reason we had a satellite was so my wife could watch. I'm fine with a laptop hooked up and about 6TB of movies. Other than that I use series-cravings or cokeandpopcorn to stream TV series. News I read or ocassionaly watch video clips on the net.

Haven't looked back since. Now on the other hand, if I loose internet or it is slow, I go absolutely mental....

·
The Coconut Man
1,553 Posts
Kill it. I cut out all cable/satellite services over 10 years ago now and really don't miss all the BS that's on. Yeah, I like to watch a game now and then, but it's not like I HAVE to. That's what friends are for! We did the Netflix route and library movies for entertainment. Add up a years worth of what you spend and think about what else you could have spent that on (it's a chunk of change).
That being said, I know that cutting out television isn't for everyone. Some people just have to watch all the arcane crap that comes out of the networks. Me? I like to spend time doing other things.......my two humble bits.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I Jo, you are alive?

YES!!!!

:cheshire

barely- but yes! Running around holding down 3 + jobs and getting my "live my life" on- so it's been crazy- I need to sign up for the mobile app for this- I don't use stuff that I can't access easily from my phone!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts