Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, let me start by saying that I'm a little on the cocky side and have the speed bug. I'm been drag racing cars for about 6 / 7 years or so now. I took the drag car off the road and parted it for a whole new engine. Going from the stock motor with 650 / 700 HP to hoping 1400 HP (87 Buick Grand National, hense the Username). Project is not going to be cheap and is going to take some time. So in the meantime, I got my first bike about 2.5 months ago to keep me busy enjoying life while the car is being worked on. It's a 02 748 CC Shadow Ace. With the mods, it's putting out crazy power...45 RWHP, at best. I got the bike as training wheels. But now, I'm already getting the power bug. A good friend with an 02 CBR does not want me to jump up to the R1. He'd like me to get some thing like this bike or a R6...some thing on that level. I don't want to keep jumping and I'm just in love with the R1!!!! I think that bike is just sex on two wheels!!!! So what do you all think? When will I be ready? What do you all think of the R1? Going to wait until Oct at least (company rise). Maybe even until the 2006 comes out. This is the one that I'd get...love that color!!!

Matching helmet:

Thanks,
Jason

P.S. I don't recall if this is my first, sorry if it is, without an introduction.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
+1 on Raven_r1. you stated yourself you have a speed bug. Having said that, there is no way in hell you will not get your self into trouble some how. I didn't have a speed bug and got a speeding ticket the first night on my R1. (okay, now I have a speed bug which is why I no longer ride the street)

i would strongly suggest an R6, it will be more than plenty to satisfy your speed "bug" and still be able to get you into trouble. Way more than plenty.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If u wanna go b***** than get the R6. Plenty of speed for a thrill seeker. Looks badass too! Maybe not as badass as the R1 but its a looker. Also if u need to jump up in a lil while than dont sweat it and just do it. However that is only if u NEED to jump up. Anyways good luck !!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm surprised everyone has gone so easy on you so far. R6 would be a bit much for riding for 3 months. I also think if you like the look of the raven R1 (center pipe, black/grey), Honda has a 600rr with a very similar color scheme. Litre bikes after only 3 months on a cruiser? You might be best to reconsider.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
shouldn't this be in the NEW rider section

and NO just cuz your "race" "fast" cars, doesn't qualify you to be on those kinda bikes...........

but i doubt you have enough sense to listen to any common sense.

·
Registered
809 Posts
what alot of people who dont ride sportbikes dont realize is the power of modern 600SS bikes.

for example... an acura tl is pretty quick for a production car. 270hp. 3582 pounds.

thats about a 1:13.3 power to weight ratio. (hp to lbs)

my little ninja 250 is REALLY slow for a sportbike. It puts out 30 horsepower and weighs 300 pounds. Thats a 1:10 power to weight ratio. faster than the TL.

a modern SS sportbike puts out about 110hp and weighs 360 pounds. That's a 1:3.3 power to weight ratio.

To be as fast as the 600ss, the acura would be putting out 1094.5 horsepower to the rear wheel.

THATS FAST!!!

The litre inline 4 sportbikes put out closer to 140-150 horsepower, but thats really overkill for the street.

Make your own decision, but keep in mind that insurance costs are much higher for litre bikes.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
ExtraJ said:
what alot of people who dont ride sportbikes dont realize is the power of modern 600SS bikes.

The litre inline 4 sportbikes put out closer to 140-150 horsepower, but thats really overkill for the street.

Make your own decision, but keep in mind that insurance costs are much higher for litre bikes.

as an example, my 2000 (5 year old) R1 puts out 144 rwhp w/a full system and a jet kit. my buddies 04 R1 puts out 160 (152 stock), my bf 03gix 1k puts out 161 w/full Ti Arata and PCIII.

The new r6's are putting out silly amounts of HP. you seriously do not need anything more than a 600ss after 3 months of riding.

·
Registered
488 Posts
ExtraJ said:

for example... an acura tl is pretty quick for a production car. 270hp. 3582 pounds.

thats about a 1:13.3 power to weight ratio. (hp to lbs)

my little ninja 250 is REALLY slow for a sportbike. It puts out 30 horsepower and weighs 300 pounds. Thats a 1:10 power to weight ratio. faster than the TL.

a modern SS sportbike puts out about 110hp and weighs 360 pounds. That's a 1:3.3 power to weight ratio.

To be as fast as the 600ss, the acura would be putting out 1094.5 horsepower to the rear wheel.

THATS FAST!!!

Bravo on the statistical analysis!

And yea, I'm surprised that your ass isnt on fire yet..R6 and call it a day, no need to kill yourself on an R1. Save the money and put it towards plastics/mods/medical bills/gas/insurance/hookers..

·
Registered
243 Posts
ExtraJ said:

GREAT Point. . . :dblthumb (except for the fact that the TL is front Wheel Drive) But Awesome on the numbers. Many people dont realize that it's all about power/weight

·
Registered
464 Posts
heh..I knew as soon as I saw the "YZF" included in the post title that it had to be a n00b

I wouldnt even go for an r6 personally, just an old cbr or something. a couple months on a cruiser can't really prepare you for a ss sportbike. heck, I just got a brand new 636 after riding an old f2 for a while, and I almost had to learn how to ride all over again it seemed like. but of course, nobody wants to have to ride around on an "ugly" sportbike for a season or two...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey man, im enjoying the hell out of my ex500 so far. Yes I will be upgrading to a r6 or a cbr600, or a ninja 636 next year. By that time I will have 5k+ miles on the bike, hell, ive put 1k on it in a month. Start small, even the power of this little ex500 suprises me sometime.

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
as others have said, the R6 comes in that color combo, and it will be more than double the HP of your current bike at the rear wheel and probably quite a bit lighter.

you'd be surprised how fast the R6 is when it is in it's power range.

she's fast enough for you old man...(sorry, star wars quote)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Going from a cruiser to an R1 would be crazy in my book. If you do decide to do that, all I can say is good luck. We're all counting on you. (Sorry, that was a line from Airplane).

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But in my mind, both the R6 and the R1, are MORE then enough to get me in trouble! Yes as I said, I have the bug, yes I am not perfect, but for the most part, I’m not stupid. I know where I can push it, how far I can push it and where I cannot! So, really, what is all that of a difference between the R6 and R1.

Jason

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
okay, boys, it's all on you now, I got to go to bed...I'll check in on this thread when I get up.

don't rip him any new ones mkay?

·
Registered
809 Posts
H2Omax1 said:
GREAT Point. . . :dblthumb (except for the fact that the TL is front Wheel Drive) But Awesome on the numbers. Many people dont realize that it's all about power/weight
damn front wheel drive...

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
silent_R1 said:
okay, boys, it's all on you now, I got to go to bed...I'll check in on this thread when I get up.

don't rip him any new ones mkay?

you have to go to bed?wtf? hahah its like 930am where your at. :lao

1 - 20 of 86 Posts