Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local bike shop has a brand new 2004 RC51 (zero miles and never titled). The salesman says that they bought 4 of them back in 2004, and this is the last one that they have. I was looking at it, and he said that he would "give me a deal" on it. He said they would sell it for $10,000. Before I try haggling with them on the price, I was wondering if this is a good deal, and if not, what price should I be aiming for? We worked out all the financing and everything, and with $5500 down, my payment would be about $109 a month for 60 months. Should I do it, or should I keep looking?

The bike does not have all of the sponsor decals that the 2004 usually comes with, but the shop says that they would order them for me.

Also in my shopping today, I found a dealership that has a brand new 2005 titanium ZX-10R that was "knocked over back in the shop". The upper and lower fairings are a little scratched, along with the bar end and the edge of the front cowl. They want $9400.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have never rode a RC 51 but man what an awesome peice of machinery. I think the price is reasonable w/ no miles. And financing doesnt sound to bad although I dont know the details, I say if it fits you and you like it go for it. Also being a Kawi rider myself the ZX-10R is a great bike, but you need somethin mint. RC-51 all the way.

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both bikes have 0 miles and are new...I realize these bikes are as different as two sportbikes can be. I have always wanted the RC51...

·
Registered
148 Posts
You can find nicely set up used RC's over the net. Alot of places have left over ones that should go for less than 10G's. If you have never ridden one you might look to do so. Twins are a love hate kind of thing and you may not like it. It's a nice ride but you also have to think about it being 6 year old technology. It's heavy, it's hot, it pumps out HP comparable to a 636...I will never sell mine.

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. This is the kind of information I am looking for. Sounds like the RC is a little high priced. Also sounds like I could do better on the ZX-10R, if I decided to go that way. I will find an RC eventually. I am just tired of bidding on them on ebay and coming up as the high bidder, but the reserve not being met. My opinion is that most RC owners overvalue their bikes. Every ebay auction for an RC but one in the past two weeks have not met the reserve.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts

·
Go #214!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2,390 Posts
aaronk said:
I just bought my '05 ZX10R with no miles for $8998. Something to think about.

Thats a hell of a deal...my 02 GSXR600 was only 1000 bucks less brand new.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
aaronk said:
I just bought my '05 ZX10R with no miles for $8998. Something to think about.
I was thinking the same thing. $9400 for a bike that has been "knocked over " and is scratched up isnt a good deal. Especially if they arent gonna replace the fairings. People get that deal on brand new mint condition bikes. If you have always wanted the RC then go for it...I think you could get a better deal on it though.

·
Registered
92 Posts
thats not a good deal cuz there only taking off $1000 for something thats almost 2 years old i got my GSXR-1000 for $9200 as a left over model this time in 2003

·
pick your poison
2,972 Posts
I bought a 05 zx10 6 months ago for $9900.

I will add a RC51 with the right set of pipes, is one sweet
sounding machine!

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
freeky929 said:
So, what do you think I should offer for the '04 RC? The MSRP is $11,599. $9,000? $10,000 out the door? What would be a fair deal?

I would offer them the $10k out the door at the local shop. They are not makeing any money if it is on the floor collecting dust. I know 2 people that bought the 1000RR in the past couple of months just by showing the dealer that they could get it elsewhere cheaper. I offered America's Motorsports $7k+tax for a 05' R6 and they accepted it....and that was almost $1800 off their sticker. If they don't go for the $10k OTD they might get a little closer to a better number. The high retail according to N.A.D.A. right now is $9100. Not sure if the link will show up correctly to NADA but this is what I found
http://www.nadaguides.com/Values/Va...&Letter=H&Com=0102&Year=2004&Model=1200017047

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
"My opinion is that most RC owners overvalue their bikes."

One reason for that may be because the RC is the most expensive sportbike in Honda's lineup, despite not being mechanically updated since 2002.

+1 on riding the RC before you buy one. I love mine and wouldn't want anything else, but on the other hand, I know if any of my friends had one, they would have it up for sale the next day. Seat is typically Honda and gets hot, must slip the clutch to get moving, 30mpg is doing great, jerky at low rpm's even with a custom map and the best pipes on the market, eats tires, etc. I love it!

Oh yeah, it makes cruisers with drag pipes crap their pants :lao

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Josh D said:
"My opinion is that most RC owners overvalue their bikes."

One reason for that may be because the RC is the most expensive sportbike in Honda's lineup, despite not being mechanically updated since 2002.

+1 on riding the RC before you buy one. I love mine and wouldn't want anything else, but on the other hand, I know if any of my friends had one, they would have it up for sale the next day. Seat is typically Honda and gets hot, must slip the clutch to get moving, 30mpg is doing great, jerky at low rpm's even with a custom map and the best pipes on the market, eats tires, etc. I love it!

Oh yeah, it makes cruisers with drag pipes crap their pants :lao
Thanks! I have ridden one and loved it. Sounds like my kind of bike. I didn't mean anything negative about saying that they "overvalue" their bikes...just that every auction that has ended in the past two weeks for an RC has ended "Reserve Not Met".

I feel like once I get one, I'll never sell it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I know it's hard but be patient and get the bike you really want. You can check RC51.com or maybe superbikeplanet.com classifieds for more used rides. CycleTrader might help you out too.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts