Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found another 749 that's about three hours away from me. It's been wrecked, but doesn't seem to be too bad. One side is rashed, the other is fine. I am going to buy another one for track use anyway(I like to have the same bike for both street and track), and I expect that I could pick this one up for a really good price.

Damage seems to be all aesthetic except for a broken shift lever. I checked the bike out this weekend and it starts fine. Obviously I couldn't ride it due to the shift lever, but the thing that concerns me is this: The bike makes some sort of strange high-pitched squealing noise when the throttle is turned...similar to the sound that a car makes when a belt is loose. It seemed to come from the right side near the front of the bike. The guys said it didn't make that sound before he dropped it. Anyone have any idea what that could be? Thanks!

·
Ducati Twins Rock
267 Posts
Cam belt?

·
Registered
73 Posts
The first thing I thought of was the cam belt, I would think that it would make the noise because it was loose or worse is a pulley or shaft is bent and the belt is rubbing :(
I've never looked at it on my bike and not positive how it is set up but that's my two cents.

·
Ducati Twins Rock
267 Posts
Luckily, it isn't too hard to get to them. Just pull the side fairing and remove the cam belt covers. You should be able to get a better idea of what's going on after that.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
If the cam belt were slipping enough to make that noise the engine would have went bannanas the second you tried to start it!

I bet is some cover making contact with the clutch or stator, or the belt covers making contact with the belts. It may be worse as it could have suffered from oil starvation if it was running while on its side and now one bearing or something is fried.

Your best bet would be to remove the fairings and all the plastic covers on the engine and run it, if the sound is comming from inside the engine...

I'd say pass.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I noticed that it didn't do it at higher revs..just off idle a bit and up to around 4k RPM...

And yeah, Weasel you can demo this one :)

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
It's not the cam belt, I can promise. Cam belts have teeth, just like drive belts on belt driven bikes. If they slip as little as 1 tooth, the engine will run like hell. If it slips more, bent valves are possible as well as it just plain won't run.

Check engine covers for being bent/damaged.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts