Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On paper it seems like the perfect bike and it sure is beautiful!

How is the riding position? I live 3 hours from the nearest dealership so I would like for some owners to comment on how comfortable it is and if it is more of a straight up riding position.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Lots of guys on here love them. I'm sure they'll speak up shortly.

I've been wanting to pick one up ever since the redesign in 05. :drool

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
It's a great bike. I get more compliments on mine than anything I've ever ridden. Even a new 1098 owner tells me it's lusty

I'm 6'5", and for me it was too upright, so I bought some handlebars off a 2000 that were probably 5" lower. Most folks seem to get risers to get even higher!

I spent about 6 hours in the saddle on saturday, and about 14 hours on sunday.

BTW - it's very much on the sport side of the equation. I run with the aforementioned Ducati 1098, ridden by a racer. The rest of the group is gixxers and kaw 636's mostly. It's always the Duc and I out front, and everyone else way behind. My bike is probably 100 lbs heavier, and I'm probably 150 lbs heavier, but I'm out front. You can ride the Sprint pretty hard, it performs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A few Things About the Sprint you should Know....

1. The stock headlights are useless unless you have the "brights" on.

2. No rear hugger which make cleaning a real pain. You can get one for $389.00 but you have to drill and tap 3 holes on the swing arm. (same one that is stock on the new Speed Triple). There is another I found on the internet for $179 but you cannot use the panniers with it.

3. Not a lot of aftermarket stuff available for the Sprint.

Other than that the Sprint is an awesome bike. Like stated earlier on this thread the Spint is one good looking bike. Lots of compliments. And a very original bike which is also nice to not look like every other sport bike out there.

But the most awesome thing about the Sprint can only be noticed in the upper revs. THAT TRIPLE SOUND. It will make you immediately fall in love with the Sprint.

·
Registered
54 Posts
you are right about the headlights , soi adjusted them up a little higher , now they are good -- also check your headlight plug , they are bad about getting hot and corriding.

·
Registered
15 Posts
New Sprint 08 or 06 Ducuti ST3

I've curious to get your opinion (and anyone else) since you now have ridden it for a month, do you have any thoughts on; heat from engine, under the seat heat or brakes soft. I ride in south Florida, it's hot half the year. I'm ready to pull the tr*****, but I cannot make up my mind, either a perfect 06 red Ducuti ST3 no abs (2000 miles) or the Sprint (new/wabs). About 4g's differant in price. The ST3 is adult driven and perfect, but I have no service dealer anywhere near me and I'm leery of the reliablity. How is the Sprint on reliability thus far? Anyone have a history on a Ducuti? Most riders of D's have a real issue with saying anything negitive about their ride. I don't post often because I dont' have ride rate now, but I find everyone comments and infromation first class. Help me make up my mind. The new one is red abs. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To Answer Some of Your Questions....

HEAT-Heat from the engine is not as brutal as most claim. Like any other bike (mostly with under tail exhaust) at a stand still in traffic you can feel it but it is not unbearable.

Brakes- The brakes are fine. A little softer than a lot of Sport bikes but function well. You can remedy the "Soft" brakes with aftermarket parts.

Reliability-No issues here at all. The Sprint is a totally reliable machine. Never an issue.

Personal opinion-I would go with the Sprint. THe Sprint is a very good looking machine who's beauty is NOT only skin deep. I even get comments from the Harley guys on the Sprints looks and Sound. This bike leans more toward the "Sport" side of sport touring the Sprint also has 20 more HP than the Ducati and a little more torque also. The Ducati is leaned more toward the Touring Side of the equation. I can't say to much about the ducati as I have not ridden one to really compare the two. Not to knock the Ducati but the Sprint is a more sporty ride. Both are great bikes, Just different.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sprint or Ducuti

Thank you. It's been recommended to do two "fixes" to the Sprint (And of course the brakes you mentioned), a rear tire hugger, but I can't find one after market. And to add a "NASA type" heat sheild under the seat. Both suggestions came from the tech I found smoking outside the shop. He won't do either, said his boss would fire him for making "non dealer" alterations. Understand but a little strick don't you think. Have you heard of any "special" financing coming up? I know they have it on the Rocket now. Again one of the things that's putting me off is the dealer doesn't really offer suggestions. You have to "pull" every answer out of them. Most likely management policy. Even if I buy in Fort Laudersdale, I don't want to have to take it 125 miles for service etc. Dont' get me wrong, I not complaining just thinking out loud. (Sorry about the spelling, don't like downloading outside programs.)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't know if you have made the decision yet, but check out Triumphrat.net to get more info on the sprint. I've had my '01 for over a year now....enjoy it more each day. I am not a speed demon, although it wants to be, and I really enjoy the torque available. Good hunting.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
My two favorite ST bikes are the Aprilia Futura and Triumph Sprint ST, and would pick up either in a heartbeat. Pics if you get one! :cheers

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
Which year sprint to get 05-09? Any changes they made between years? Also which color is the best as i haven't seen all of them in flesh. I did see a blue silver and red on craigslist. Blue and red look hot!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts