Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Speed limits are primarily for revenue generation.

I just think of it as the "Speeding Tax."

I look at it this way: suppose when Florida sends me my tag renewals every year, they gave me an option to check a box on the form and pay an extra $50. In return, I'd get a sticker for my license plates that would allow me to speed. Not reckless driving, mind you, but a cop would see the sticker and not pull me for 10 or 15 over.

I'd check that box in a heartbeat.

As it happens, every 3 or 4 years I get a speeding ticket. On average over the past 30 years or so, it works out to about $50 a year. A bargain.

So I just consider it a tax that I have to pay every few years and don't worry about it any more than I worry about paying for my license plates.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
I see it as a threshold for the WORST of vehicles. Think of the 1980 Monte Carlo out there with blown shocks thats still on the road. Sure OUR cars and bikes are safe at 100mph on the interstate but is the old worn out le mans? I dont favor a auto rank or category saying certain cars can go X MPH and others cant so I will deal with 70 on the interstate, drive 80 and not get pulled over.

·
V-Twin Devotee
34 Posts
70/80 on the interstate is not the issue, limits are supposed to be posted for the least common denominator- the retarded blind guy in the ElCamino with blown shocks. We're more offended at localities under posting limits and then speed trapping them.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I see it as a threshold for the WORST of vehicles. Think of the 1980 Monte Carlo out there with blown shocks thats still on the road. Sure OUR cars and bikes are safe at 100mph on the interstate but is the old worn out le mans? I dont favor a auto rank or category saying certain cars can go X MPH and others cant so I will deal with 70 on the interstate, drive 80 and not get pulled over.
+1 this

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
which is why, NCR, I should be able to either get my vehicle registered for a quicker speed limit, or pay a little extra for the luxury. My bike isn't even happy in top gear at 110kmh. It's happiest at 130.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Sure there is a $$ factor to it but only when people drive over it. and nearly everyone does. Here state police wont pull you over for going 80 in a 70 so its not like a die hard thing.

As someone who responds to car wrecks I see the horrors of speed.

That's men the Red Jumpsuit. The driver died.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
That's actually not much damage if it happened at speeds over 65mph.

F4s, the logic is that even if that 1973 Monte Carlo passes a safety inspection, it still has a stopping distance that is probably 3 times that of a vw jetta.

·
Registered
16 Posts
FYI,

There is a section of highway leading into Houston that the speed limit was lowered as mandated by the EPA for air quality.

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
Sure there is a $$ factor to it but only when people drive over it. and nearly everyone does. Here state police wont pull you over for going 80 in a 70 so its not like a die hard thing.

As someone who responds to car wrecks I see the horrors of speed.

That's men the Red Jumpsuit. The driver died.
Speed doesn't kill. It's the sudden stop at the end.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
F4s, the logic is that even if that 1973 Monte Carlo passes a safety inspection, it still has a stopping distance that is probably 3 times that of a vw jetta.

Chicken and the egg here. Do we raise speed limits and expect people to buy better vehicles to enjoy them, or just keep lowering limits to accommodate aging cars that get older year by year? If we are going to accommodate old POS's, then we need to just keep lowering the limits as those cars age and degrade, don't we?

Maybe a graduated system, where you need a modern vehicle that has passed safety and meets certain standards to use high speed roads would be the solution

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Policing for profit

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
As was explained in the video, increasing the speed smooths the traffic flow. You don't have people darting around the sheeple trying to get past said sheeple who are afraid to even drive the limit. I can relate to this firsthand. Back when the speed limit went back to 70 on I44, instead of having to fight my way through traffic, I could just cruise along and not have to worry about bottlenecks.

And yes most limits are set for revenue enhancement.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Speed doesn't kill. It's the sudden stop at the end.
Speed doesn't kill. Rider/driver error does.

Nobody dies from JUST speeding. They either lost traction and control (yeah, a speed issue, but can happen under the limit as well), or someone invaded/they invaded someone else's right of way, etc.

All the things that cause accidents can happen under the limit as well. And speeding, in and of itself, will NEVER cause an accident. You can drive too fast for the amount of steering you need to do, but driving too fast for a white and black sign on the side of the road is not actually harmful.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts