Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. i am too poor to buy new tires just for a trackday.
2.my bike is a v-twin torque monster

any opinions welcome :) :popcorn

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
how many T/D's have you done?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 :)

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
i think you should be alright....

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
whats the risk that i am running with these tires? will they get "greasy" etc...

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I think you'll be fine since it's only the center of the Z6 that is hard.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yeah, you should be fine. Just don't ride like Rossi and you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I was going to ask the exact same question...

Are you people sure it is ok, because I don't want to wreak my bike just because of some damn tires that won't get grip. On the other hand I am an poor college student also and can't be spending $200+ on tires that will only last 3000 miles. Of course I don't want to wreak my bike either and if it makes that much difference then I guess I will just spend the extra money and buy some pilot powers or D-208's.... Any other opinions? :feedback

·
Registered
725 Posts
Especially on a clean warm track, the Metz z-6 won't fail you. I am shocked at how they hold even on cold damp dirty roads they won't give an inch.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Sportec M1's would be a nice tire to go to when the time comes. When you become track proficient, then go to more of a race compound tire.

:cheers

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
june 25th...cant wait

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Lately I've settled in on a Metz Z6 rear and an M1 front on my SV650. The M1 rear just doesn't last more than about 3500 miles. On warm, dry roads, the Z6 has never slipped. On cold, damp, tar snakes I have to be careful. I think you'll be OK on the Z6's although I haven't done a track day with that tire. Ease into the higher speeds and lean angles just to be sure.

I did a couple of track days on Bridgestone BT020's so the Z6's should be fine.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Fengler you gonna be out at Firebird East? I'll be out there too. I did my first trackday on a Z6 front and an M1 rear. You'll be fine on those tires. I'm on Z6 front and rear now.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
actually at arroyo seco in new mexico much cheaper and the track is WAYYYYYY better. 125 bux for sat AND sunday, open track ahhhhhh yeahhh

here is an email i got from one of my buddies who was runnin z-6's on his sv650

"Yes, I was running a Z6 on my bike at the track. They are good tyres - although in terms of ultimate
grip they aren't as good as, say, an M1. I have heard of cases where on pushing really hard, you can get
some unpleasant sidewall flex - not exactly confidence inspiring. In my case, even after a few warm up
laps it couldn't put down all the power to the track... it slid out on me - although being smoother would
have helped the situation.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, you'll be fine with your Z6 as long as you remember you don't have race
tyres on there.
"

·
Registered
308 Posts
my dad did 2 trackday's on his fz1, with bt020's on it. More of touring tires than sport. He had no problems with them. Run a good pressure and make sure they're warm and you should be ok, just go easy on the gas coming out of turns they'll prob have predictable sliding.

·
Registered
239 Posts
This isn't a question if the tires are good enough for the track, it's a question if the rider is good enough for the tires. Use good throttle control sir, keep the bike on the rear while you're on the deck, and use this scenario to understand how tires slide.

If you roll off and back on the throttle, you'll probably see a slide and if you let the rear slide then chop it, happy catapulting.

Get your corner entry speed up a few mph per lap and you'll know where the limits are.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts