Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm headed out to the LA area on the 18th for work to visit one of our plants at Terminal Island. My flight gets in around noon, so i'll have half of monday, tuesday and wednesday nights after work, and then thursday morning to myself.

what are some cool things to see while i'm there? i'm disappointed that the LA Auto Show opens right after I leave!

Monday night I was planning on just getting on PCH and driving south in whatever awesome compact rental car i have.

any suggestions??

thanks!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I'm headed out to the LA area on the 18th for work to visit one of our plants at Terminal Island. My flight gets in around noon, so i'll have half of monday, tuesday and wednesday nights after work, and then thursday morning to myself.

what are some cool things to see while i'm there? i'm disappointed that the LA Auto Show opens right after I leave!

Monday night I was planning on just getting on PCH and driving south in whatever awesome compact rental car i have.

any suggestions??

thanks!
Sounds like you'll be staying near Long Beach, so there's always the Queen Mary, Aquarium of the Pacific, and such. I'd stay out of Hollywood, you'll spend more time trying to get there then you'll spend enjoying it. If you like seafood, there's always fresh/live catch out on Redondo Beach Pier. Heading south on PCH will take you through Newport Beach and Laguna Beach. Balboa Island in Newport has a lot of cool shops and whatnot, and Laguna Beach is full of art galleries. I hear there's some good hiking in Palos Verdes, but I've never checked it out. My uncle has been trying to get me out there for awhile.

Really depends on what you're looking to do on your time off.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Haven't spent a ton of time in LA, but you owe it to yourself to find the most run down, hole in the wall mexican restaurant where no one speaks english, and eat there. So delicious. At least the ones I went to in San Diego were.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Well lets see,you might see crime,gang activity,hippies,and blatant homosexuality.....
At least he won't wake up each morning in the armpit of the Midwest. :)

...Really depends on what you're looking to do on your time off.
The LA area has almost as much going on as NYC plus the weather makes outdoor fun possible much of the time. What would you like to write home about?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Haven't spent a ton of time in LA, but you owe it to yourself to find the most run down, hole in the wall mexican restaurant where no one speaks english, and eat there. So delicious. At least the ones I went to in San Diego were.
Definitely this.

If you're in Long Beach, go down seventh street. I can't remember what side street corner it is, but there's a little taco shack, and I do mean shack, that has dollar tacos. Can't miss it, says 1 dollar tacos in 3 foot letters on the side. Absolute awesomeness.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
If you're a car guy and you wanted to see the auto show....then there's always the petersen automotive museum.

Petersen Automotive Museum | Petersen Automotive Museum

If you're a nerd/dorkus the endeavor is still on display at the science center.

Space Shuttle Endeavour

It's really cheap for the science center. Couple bucks to go see the shuttle.

If you go to petersen it's on museum row, so there's about 4392784328949823 different things to see and places to eat if you pay for your parking and walk up and down. I would also suggest Deja Vu or Spearmint Rhino for some lovely night life.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
You can always go to a La Raza rally......must be one a week there :)

·
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like you'll be staying near Long Beach, so there's always the Queen Mary, Aquarium of the Pacific, and such. I'd stay out of Hollywood, you'll spend more time trying to get there then you'll spend enjoying it. If you like seafood, there's always fresh/live catch out on Redondo Beach Pier. Heading south on PCH will take you through Newport Beach and Laguna Beach. Balboa Island in Newport has a lot of cool shops and whatnot, and Laguna Beach is full of art galleries. I hear there's some good hiking in Palos Verdes, but I've never checked it out. My uncle has been trying to get me out there for awhile.

good stuff! i mostly like sight-seeing and eating.

yes!! i was out in Cali a few years ago for the ASME HPV competition that was held at University of California Riverside and we did just that.

The LA area has almost as much going on as NYC plus the weather makes outdoor fun possible much of the time. What would you like to write home about?
last time i was out there i really enjoyed the views of the mountains, ocean, fancy houses, and all the expensive cars. it's a very different place than pittsburgh!!!

Definitely this.

If you're in Long Beach, go down seventh street. I can't remember what side street corner it is, but there's a little taco shack, and I do mean shack, that has dollar tacos. Can't miss it, says 1 dollar tacos in 3 foot letters on the side. Absolute awesomeness.
the LBC?! where Snoop Dogg is from???
If you're a car guy and you wanted to see the auto show....then there's always the petersen automotive museum.

Petersen Automotive Museum |*Petersen Automotive Museum

If you're a nerd/dorkus the endeavor is still on display at the science center.

Space Shuttle Endeavour

It's really cheap for the science center. Couple bucks to go see the shuttle.

If you go to petersen it's on museum row, so there's about 4392784328949823 different things to see and places to eat if you pay for your parking and walk up and down. I would also suggest Deja Vu or Spearmint Rhino for some lovely night life.
may have to hit up the auto museum! thanks!!

·
Registered
465 Posts

I was last in LA in 2009. I was attending a conference at the Staples Center downtown and stayed in a hotel close by.

Downtown after hours I remember being dead. I got there around 7pm and just wanted to find a place to buy some snacks. I couldn't even find a 7-11 open, much less a grocery store.

I didn't have a rental car, so I took transit to Hollywood. The red line I believe went straight there and it was pretty convenient. Better than sitting in traffic on the 405.

I took transit to go to Hermosa Beach. The line went right through the middle of south central. It was a surface line. That ride was interesting, to say the least. The line didn't go all the way there, so I rode my skateboard the rest of the way. As for beaches, I recommend Hermosa/Redondo beach. Very nice.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I probably wouldn't go wandering around south-central LA. I.e. Compton and all that jazz.
Surprisingly they've made some real major strides with the crime in those areas. There's a new mayor in Compton that's been cracking down hard with a b***** police force and whatnot. I still wouldn't wander around in the middle of the night though.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
L.A. is such a sprawling area, it's hard to narrow it down to just a small place to start with such limited time. Most of LA is a dump, sorry, but there is lots of cool things to see and do. Hit up the hills at night to see the lights below, while playing Bob Seger's 'Hollywood Nights' on your mp3. :lol
Go see the Santa Monica Pier and the western terminus of Route 66.

·
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lots of good ideas! thanks

where is this turn overlooking the city that seems to be on every commercial lately?

it's at about 13-14 seconds in.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Lets skip right to the chase, it being Hollywood and all. Where does LoLo go skinny dipping?:catcorn

1 - 19 of 19 Posts