Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that you americans see Motorbiking as a Hobby and not probably as a way of life.

The idea that I have of you guys is that before you have bought the bike... you already have tons of mods at your garage waiting for it....

Why do you change the bikes so much... I can understand the exausts, turn signals and some windshields and even the air filter.

But why the rest?

Don't answer to me like a kid and say: "To make it prettier."
Have you ever considered in buying a bike, because you really like it.. not only for it's performance?

When I bought my FZ6, that I loved, I had a bargain on another bike... a 1000cc one, which I didn't like as much as the FZ6.

Obviously I went for the FZ6. And I'm not selling it!

Please don't go balistic on my question.. I'm not insulting anyone.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Maybe they just want a customized look. Don't you think it would get boring if everyone was riding around on the same stock bike? Not exactly sure what other mods your talking about though..

·
pick your poison
2,972 Posts
I think modding your bike is part of the enjoyment of owning a bike, being
different. Tho addictive & expensive as it is!

Tho now having my 3rd bike, I have not & will not throw $ into to it, as I
did my other 2.

·
______ETA B4U______
1,990 Posts
That is just "The American Way". It's hard to understand if you’re not from here. Ever since cars were came off the production line Americans were trying to make them cooler and faster. It still goes on today. Nobody wants to have something that looks like what everyone else has and most people want to make them faster than how they came because it's easy to do for relatively cheap.,

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just to be different. Look at communistic countries where everyone wears on kind and color of shoes. That would suck and we like are bikes to look different. Plus we don't get some of the cool models that the other countries get.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
What are all the mods that you are refering to Mega? Personally, Exhaust, PCIII and filter are the most common. Windshield as well. but all those combined are not likly more than $1500USD, unless you are getting a full exhaust. Considering that a QUALITY body kit for a Civic or other import is $1200-$2500 + painting and installation, wheels and tires (can't have a kit w/out wheels) >=18" $1200 = $3k-$4k (depending on brand of tires and wheels), moding a bike is a cheap and for the most part a simple process.

EDIT* and to think that I almost forgot the shower head exhaust for the Civics, that right there is $700, and that does not make it unique, other than it attracts attention from the police. Bikes all look the same, to a eye that is not familliar with them. Police don't know if that is aftermarket exhaust unless they are familiar with bikes, and those that are familiar with bikes don't bother you, UNLESS you are riding like a squid.

·
Take care now ......
1,615 Posts
I agree, aftermarket products are very popular in the U.S. Like it was said, modifications are part of being a biker. It creates a sense of individualism. If you go to a bike night with a few hundred bikes it's no fun to see 25 of the same GSXR1000's. In my case my money went into improving performance and in the handling department as it was much needed. I'm not too much into cosmetics as I only had a few changes there.

·
Enlightened
771 Posts
Even though I may like the way a bike looks stock from the factory, usually I think it could be improved somewhat. Both performance wise and asthetically. The only bike I can think of that I probably wouldn't modify in some way would be the MV Agusta F4. No matter which iteration, all the MV F4's are perfect IMO.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
Laughing Man said:
The only bike I can think of that I probably wouldn't modify in some way would be the MV Agusta F4. No matter which iteration, all the MV F4's are perfect IMO.

Ahh, what a pretty bike, I agree with this post 100%. Although, if you can afford that bike, why not get CF wheels....... :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
i've not done any mods on my bike yet, but as soon as i have more experience under my belt i certainly will...for me, it will all be for the looks of it...i loved (and still do) the way my bike looked off the show room floor straight from the factory....BUT every other 05 600r looks exactly the same...esp since the thing only came in 2 colors...as of yet i've never seen another here in town...that's besides the point...lol...i want mine to be different...to be mine....you don't really have options when buying bikes as u do when buying a car it seams....so, if u don't like the exact way it comes, or u buy used....why not put a little of your own personality into your bike?

and mods are a less expensive way of getting a different bike without buying a new bike...change is good...lol

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So... you buy a Bike... mod it to look "like you" and not like the others equal to it. Looks like you're negating something the "American way" invented... called: Mass Production.

IMHO, I hate tuning and that sort of things. It is usualy made by curious people and most of the time.. you hear a mother of a friend saying "Victor is dead, because the front skirt broke at 80KM/H and blocked the tires."

That applies to bikes as well...I've seen lots of people get killed by aftermarket mods.. and expensive ones even.

For me it is a pleasure to see a bike just like mine.... as my signature says: "It's Like meeting family".

I'm an everyday biker... I have 2 cars at my garage, covered with dust.
When I start my bike is like feeling my heart beating... it's hard to explain... I could babble all day long... but I would not be able to explain the feeling.

Imagine that I cried, when I had my accident... there I was standing there.. with a broken foot.. taking a look at my damaged bike.. and tears flowing. I didn't care about the foot. Everyday I would go down to the garage.. and say sorry to my "BlackBee".

I think that only the Harley Owners can understand what I mean...

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I've done with my bike exactly what I've done to my current truck and other vehicles of the past. Made it my own.

I haven't gone crazy and had a complete custom paint job or anything but I like to change things up (decals are a great way to do accent colors and change styling at minimal cost).
When anyone I've met sees my truck go by, they aren't standing there wondering if it was me or someone else.
Same goes for the bike though its obviously easier to ID a rider because you can see more of them.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
mercutio80 said:
Other than changing out exhausts, I've never bothered changing anything on my bikes. I pretty much keep them stock.
+1. I think that some modifications make bikes look pretty tacky. Like the all chromed-out R1. But even on a more mundane note, stuff like fender elminators,or flush mounted turn signals, etc. IMO are kinda tacky.

I'd rather spend my money on quality gear, maintenance or stuttle mods. Or just use that money and invest it, etc.

I've only installed a slip-on pipe and I hope to keep it that way.

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
hm, i hadn't thought of that as an american thing, but then, i hadn't thought of how the invention of and contstant upgrades to the car set the stage either...interestng thread.

men have been staring at my bike and then coming up with mods they think i should do already, Such as a chrome windshield to accent the silver color, and of course a new exhaust and a fender eliminator...and so forth...i like the mods i just mentioned, but otherwise from that i like my bike the way it is. It came to me clean as the day it came off the factory floor except the previous seller put a watch on it cause it has no internal clock, and i liked that so i left it there. My bike looks sexy enough the way it is, and i think part of it is the sraightforward color...silver and black looks like i mean business. Stretching, lowering, power commanders, etc...i am not into all that.

But i can see silver or chrome wheels in a distant future made of money...and that chrome or chrome tinted windshield, Those are my "unnecessary luxury" mods that i think would look wicked...Depending on how the next few months go i will see if having a silent exhaust (the stock exhaust) is so bad...i can sneak up on people. Lol. :D

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I hope you don't think all Americans are like this. At one point, my bike was my only mode of transportation. I didn't have a problem with it either. If my parents didn't give me my mom's old beater then I would probably not have a car right now.

I've been debating on a countless number of bikes and none of which are the greatest according to the spec sheet. Right now, I'm leaning towards an '05 Triumph Speed Triple and the only mod I would do is chop the rear fender off. Yeah, perhaps I should be considering getting a new car seeing as it is on its last leg. But motorcycles are my life and my zx9r is racking up the miles. Most of all, I just want to experience something different.

The Harley owners around here wouldn't understand what you mean. They are the kings/queens of modding the hell out of there bike and letting it sit like a decoration piece. A Harley around here will be lucky to see more than 3k miles a year.

·
______ETA B4U______
1,990 Posts
Megatron said:
So... you buy a Bike... mod it to look "like you" and not like the others equal to it. Looks like you're negating something the "American way" invented... called: Mass Production.
One doesn't really have to do with the other. You need mass production to get the empty canvas to start with. :lol Most every car/bike/suv/truck you see over here has something done to it to stick it out. Just the way it is.

edit - by the way The American Way means lots of things. I was just referring to every God given American right to buy something and make it as fast and flashy as possible. I can think of about 5 tv shows on right now dedicated to just that.

American Chopper
Rides
Pimp my ride
Monster Garage
The one where Foose steals your car and fixes it up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with you when you said that the feeling of starting up your bike is hard to explain. My F4 is my first bike....I knew that I would like riding, but I didn't know that I would LOVE riding. I think when people mod their bike, they do it as an expression of themselves. I also think this extends to their choice of gear. A good example of this might be ghostrider...all black bike, all black gear; maybe he's a mysterious kind of person...almost sinister. I'll admit that I won't mod my bike as heavily as my car. Hell, I dumped almost $15K on my M3, but it's a show car. I don't drive it every day. IMO, my bike is meant to be ridden, not sitting on a pedestal at a show with people staring and drooling over it. And as far as a God-given American right, the ability to ride and drive isn't a right....it's a privilege.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts