Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I should make a running thread to share the changes I have planned for my 2008 Ducati 848. The main reason for the complete teardown was that after my last down during a trackday back in late August at BIR (Brainerd Int'l Raceway), I knew I had a good reason to break down and complete the bike how I envisioned.

Refresher shots of the last time you all saw the bike in its elements:

After the crash, my friends and I made a quick decision to extend our season by heading south for a NESBA trackday at Barber Motorsports in Nov. I had purchased a complete set of SharkSkinz bodywork for the Duc with full intentions to have it ready for AL.

Well, I ended up getting surprised in an awesome gesture by my wife (with the help of my friends) with an already race-prepped '03 CBR600RR (the black bike in the above pic), which I ended up bringing to Barber instead of the 848 due to seeing what the Honda was like given it was to be my racebike for my first season of club racing in the CRA in '13. Had an absolute blast on the RR, but spent more than a few moments wishing I had been on the 848....as being an overthinker had my mind in overload trying to mentally process a new-to-me track on a new-to-me bike that I'd only really ridden once....

So the Duc had sat quietly for a couple of months, still dressed for a trackday weekend opportunity at a new track which had been given to another member of the stable.

Ever since I've had this bike, the 848Evo in Arctic White/Red frame and 1098S in Pearl White/ Red frame have made me envy the white/red colorway....for my standard 848 is Pearl White, but with grey frame. This would be the basis for my winter build of this offseason, along with a few finishing touches that I never got around to before the end of the summer.

Started one afternoon by taking the fairings off to see what a frame-off teardown would entail. Then off came the exhaust/rear subframe, followed by the fuel tank, and headlight/fairing stay/instrumentation assembly all in the span of about 2.5 hours:

....and ended another 2.5 hrs later with the frame off the engine and sitting in the bedroom waiting to be brought to a shop for paint:

While the bike has been torn down, I've purchased the majority of the finishing bits for the bike:

Set of proper engine case protectors came in via GB Racing:

The addition of a few things to complete the bars setup- SpeedyMoto Omni Bars, Renthal Full Diamond-Firm grips, Domino XM2 adjustable throttle, Brembo RCS-19 remote adjuster, and Rizoma brake & clutch fluid reservoirs:

A few final pieces of carbon:

And got the DDA installed and working on my laptop:

Still waiting on the street bodywork to come in, so once that happens, both sets of bodywork can be brought in for paint.

As you'll see, the bike will pretty much look like it did since the near-beginning of last track season, as the only blatantly obvious change will be the frame color. The rest of the upgrades will contribute more towards subtle changes, but definite attention to detail.

Thanks for viewing and hope you stay tuned!!

-Christian

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At the end of the day, there's nothing as beautiful as a Ducati done right. Still turns all the heads. Nice work!
Thanks, man. Ducs might not be everyone's cup of tea performance-wise, but I do appreciate everyone that at least like the aesthetics of the brand, lol.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Looking good Christian.

Reactions: ANORXIC'51

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Dan. :)

It's moving along, slowly now until i get the frame back. No rush on parts yet as the NESBA/Barber trip isn't until mid-April. Though I would like to brush off some riding rust with some street riding prior to the first trackday weekend of the season.

How are your bikes coming along?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The clamps raise the bars slightly which I wasn't looking for. So I just got the bars themselves, so that chops close to $200 off the full clip-on w/clamps pricing.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Thanks, Dan. :)

It's moving along, slowly now until i get the frame back. No rush on parts yet as the NESBA/Barber trip isn't until mid-April. Though I would like to brush off some riding rust with some street riding prior to the first trackday weekend of the season.

How are your bikes coming along?
Pretty good, thanks. I'm keeping the lights on at Touratech & Twisted Throttle during these tough economic times. :D

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sneak peek at the street "plastics"....

Just waiting on the nose to come in before bringing these and the track bodywork in for paint.

Oh, and IB4isdatpureeuropeancarbonfiberdur.

:p

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mainly because I want to stick with the pearl white. They'll be bit of unpainted carbon in various areas. A few all carbon-bodied 848/1x98s have been done already. Drop dead gorgeous no doubt, and they are complete with black or carbon wheels....

....but mine are a far cry from being BSTs, and I don't have the OEM black Marchesnis anymore. So I think the contrast of the white body w/red frame & wheels is the best fit as far as my bike goes.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I appreciate the nod of approval, man. A LOT of people won't understand why I'd paint over full carbon.

In other news....

Frame turned out sick. Hopefully I can start reassembly this Sat afternoon. :)

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep, painter has seen it happen and thankfully has worked with carbon panels before. I trust him. :)

Small update:
Saturday load from hell and not getting home until 6:30 had me not wanting to do anything but go to sleep when I walked thru the door. Wife was off today so I'm spending time with her since both our work weeks were rough, instead of me spending all day in the garage. Did get the hardest part out of the way and got the frame back on and the main wiring routed thru.

And got the front wheel/forks/stem assembly back on while she took a short nap...

Also dropped the SharkSkinz off at the painter on Fri, so at least the bike can be track-ready.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Coming along...

GB Racing case savers put on. Hopefully I never have to see how well these work...

And swapping the controls for all the updates: clip-ons, grips, adj throttle, remote adjuster, reservoirs & mounts. Also got the tank and rear subframe on.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
It's going to look good when done.

Reactions: ANORXIC'51
1 - 20 of 34 Posts