Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Pre-register sex offender
1,091 Posts
sungwei said:
Waste of time and money. Like most of M. Nights movies outside of Sixth Sense.
HA!

i guess we all have our opinions :)

i enjoyed it, i dont think it was as good as signs, or the sixth sense, but it was good...

I can honestly say i didnt see the twists comming....

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
Exodus said:
HA!

i guess we all have our opinions :)

i enjoyed it, i dont think it was as good as signs, or the sixth sense, but it was good...

I can honestly say i didnt see the twists comming....

I agree. I really enjoyed it. If you think all of his movies are a waste of time, why do you bother going and watching them??

I didn't see the main twist coming at all. The "middle" twist I figured out, but the main one hit me from a mile away. As soon as it hit me, I went back in my mind and realized a few things that should've tipped me off...one of which I even had actually thought about, but dismissed as something just kind of out of place.

I agree that it wasn't as good as "Signs," but I would rate it as his second best film so far.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
sungwei said:
Like most of M. Nights movies outside of Sixth Sense.
I haven't seen this one, but Signs rocked.

I am not so fond of Unbreakable.

·
Registered
769 Posts
i just saw the movie this evening. it wasnt at all what i expected it to be. i didnt even realize that there were any twists. the only real surprise that i noticed was about the "timing" of the village and didnt even realize what that had to do with the main problems in the movie. can someone please explain what the point of the movie was

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
nibbs said:
i just saw the movie this evening. it wasnt at all what i expected it to be. i didnt even realize that there were any twists. the only real surprise that i noticed was about the "timing" of the village and didnt even realize what that had to do with the main problems in the movie. can someone please explain what the point of the movie was

****Possible Spoiler Avoid This Post If You Haven't Seen the Movie****

It was about a group of people that wanted to get away from all of the problems that come with living in modern society...so they went onto private land and formed their own village from a time when modern things hadn't "ruined" life.

·
Registered
205 Posts
the movie sucked. waste of time and money. gave away the whole plot in the first ten minutes. Was so easy to figure out....damn....I could have gone to see Harold and Kumar instead.

·
______ETA B4U______
1,990 Posts
I liked it. I thought all the characters were great and had no idea about any of the twists. I want to watch it when it comes out on DVD when it comes out to see if I can catch anything. Did you see the director in the station?

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
Nevrsumr22 said:
I liked it. I thought all the characters were great and had no idea about any of the twists. I want to watch it when it comes out on DVD when it comes out to see if I can catch anything. Did you see the director in the station?

Yup, saw him in there. He's had a part in every one of the movies he's directed.

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
AnnieMei said:
the movie sucked. waste of time and money. gave away the whole plot in the first ten minutes. Was so easy to figure out....damn....I could have gone to see Harold and Kumar instead.

Okay, I'm curious, what exactly gave the plot away in the first 10 minutes?? How was it so easy to figure out??

I'm pretty damn good at figuring out movies...but this one caught me way off gaurd.

I'm gonna call BS on you figuring it out in the first 10 minutes...unless someone told you more about it than they should have.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Gimpdiggity said:
Okay, I'm curious, what exactly gave the plot away in the first 10 minutes?? How was it so easy to figure out??

Basically it started from right after the funeral scene.

1) elders. Why would a "village" need elders? And why were they so adamant about not letting people leave the village? And WHY didn't we see people from "other towns" visit? Where are the horse drawn carraiges? (we are ledt obelive this is 1897? Dont tell me they dont have transporation of some sort..)
2) .Why would they not allow someone to go out and get medicine from the "other towns'? Sorry, but its hard t obelieve that they would have all the supplies they happen to need in this one small town. In real life (supposedly based on Amish or that year) interaction from other otehrs towns in way of supplies would be common place, even in AMISH towns, they depended on help from other AMISH communities that were close by.
3) why would they call "other towns", "other towns". Wouldn't they have names? Their village was Covington Woods, wouldn't "other towns" have names as well?

The entire beginning was full of holes so wide you could walk through them.

I'm pretty damn good at figuring out movies...but this one caught me way off gaurd.
After years of "those who they dont sepeak of" do not appear, then a request by Joaquim's character to go to the "other towns" then only the creatures appear? Yup, seems like they are trying to hid something.

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
AnnieMei said:
Basically it started from right after the funeral scene.

1) elders. Why would a "village" need elders? And why were they so adamant about not letting people leave the village? And WHY didn't we see people from "other towns" visit? Where are the horse drawn carraiges? (we are ledt obelive this is 1897? Dont tell me they dont have transporation of some sort..)
2) .Why would they not allow someone to go out and get medicine from the "other towns'? Sorry, but its hard t obelieve that they would have all the supplies they happen to need in this one small town. In real life (supposedly based on Amish or that year) interaction from other otehrs towns in way of supplies would be common place, even in AMISH towns, they depended on help from other AMISH communities that were close by.
3) why would they call "other towns", "other towns". Wouldn't they have names? Their village was Covington Woods, wouldn't "other towns" have names as well?

The entire beginning was full of holes so wide you could walk through them.
You seem to be missing the whole point of the old Pennsylvania folklore. In lots of stories from old Pennsylvania there are creatures that people fear terribly. Terribly enough that if an entire village would have been surrounded by woods inhabitted by said creatures, the people wouldn't want to venture out into the woods for ANY reason.

The elders were the government of the village. That's what they needed them for. To make arrangements for things, to plan...if you don't think they needed any leaders, then why do small modern towns have any forms of government??

Also, they were so adamant about nobody going into the woods because of the truce with the creatures. This was fairly obvious. They don't go in the woods, the creatures don't come into the village. I believe they actually stated that in the movie. So, they don't want people going into the woods, and they are very adamant about it, because they don't want the creatures coming into their village.

Now, if they are too scared to go into the woods, then there would be no need for horse drawn carriages, because what are they going to do with them, travel from one end of the village to the other?? Also, seeing as pretty much ALL of the people from Pennsylvania believed in the myths, then that would explain why the people in the village never saw anyone from any other town or village. Seeing as they "knew" about the creatures, then they would assume that every other village and town "knew" about the creatures. If everyone knew the creatures were there, then nobody would've ever entered the woods to try and visit the village there...or even if anyone had, there was a good chance that the creatures wouldn't have let them pass.

Maybe I missed it also, but I never once heard them say anything about it being 1897.

But either way, I guess if you figured it out in the first 10 minutes without hearing anything about the ending before hand, then you are a much better movie-figure-outer than I will ever be...

·
Registered
918 Posts
I didn't mind the movie. Not at all scary or creepy. I saw the 'twists' coming very early on. This movie hold no surprises.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Gimpdiggity said:
You seem to be missing the whole point of the old Pennsylvania folklore. In lots of stories from old Pennsylvania there are creatures that people fear terribly.
Then M Night did a piss poor job to relate that to those "who are not from pennsylvania" (yeah I know, he's from there). If he was trying to pass on a folklore about creature who live in a forest to those who dont live there, then its obvious that he wasnt' trying hard enough to explain it. That's why teh whole beginning of the movie spoiled it. Its not real. Its fake.

Terribly enough that if an entire village would have been surrounded by woods inhabitted by said creatures, the people wouldn't want to venture out into the woods for ANY reason.
And that again, is piss poor reasoning to base a whole movie on. THE ENTIRE freaking village? give me a break. I live on a freaking island surrounded by 3000 miles of ocean on each side. You think that those who found the hawaiian islands were scared that the world was flat or there were monsters in the ocean that they wouldn't "leave" their own islands to venture forth to discover?

If columbus got enough courage in 1692 to venture out to find the Indias, I think a group of people in 1897 would have the courage to venture out in the forest. No matter "what" lives there.

The elders were the government of the village. That's what they needed them for. To make arrangements for things, to plan...if you don't think they needed any leaders, then why do small modern towns have any forms of government??
And you belive everything your politician tells you?

Also, they were so adamant about nobody going into the woods because of the truce with the creatures. This was fairly obvious.
There were kids in the village (heck I grew up near a storm drain and was told "get creatures that live there" yet we ran up and down this drain for years.). Adrian brody's character venture MANY times into the forest (not even wearing hte safe color) this is where the "big" falacy started. ONLY when the "elders" were alerted to Adrian's character actually entering hte forest that the "creatures" started showing up.
Yup, we can see where the credibility is failing right there.

They don't go in the woods, the creatures don't come into the village.
Yet it was shown that Adrians' character went into the forest (unknownst to the elders) over and over again without any problems.

I believe they actually stated that in the movie. So, they don't want people going into the woods, and they are very adamant about it, because they don't want the creatures coming into their village.
yet Adrians' character went in to the forest (unknownst to the eldres) over and over again without any problems.

Now, if they are too scared to go into the woods, then there would be no need for horse drawn carriages, because what are they going to do with them, travel from one end of the village to the other?? Also, seeing as pretty much ALL of the people from Pennsylvania believed in the myths, then that would explain why the people in the village never saw anyone from any other town or village. Seeing as they "knew" about the creatures, then they would assume that every other village and town "knew" about the creatures. If everyone knew the creatures were there, then nobody would've ever entered the woods to try and visit the village there...or even if anyone had, there was a good chance that the creatures wouldn't have let them pass.
So if they dotn go into the forest, how do they get:
timber for their fires places?
wood to build their homes?
just the basics..
also supplies. Do they make all of their supplies? I didn't see anyone growign cotton, yet they can have clothes? Where do the clothes come from without material to weave them from. Did you see any cotton growing?

Oh, and we saw sigourney weaving from a ball of yearn. Where did that yarn come from? isn't yarn made from cotton? Wait, there was no cotton farm that I saw. In fact, we only saw a vegetable garden, and some livestock...but no cotton. So, again, realisticly, the movie fails on so many levels, especially on logic.

Maybe I missed it also, but I never once heard them say anything about it being 1897.
Boys grave in beginning of the movie. Born 1890 Died 1897

But either way, I guess if you figured it out in the first 10 minutes without hearing anything about the ending before hand, then you are a much better movie-figure-outer than I will ever be...
I've been known to pick out edit mistakes, cameras boom mikes in scenes and continuity problems like crazy.

·
Pre-register sex offender
1,091 Posts
There were kids in the village (heck I grew up near a storm drain and was told "get creatures that live there" yet we ran up and down this drain for years.). Adrian brody's character venture MANY times into the forest (not even wearing hte safe color) this is where the "big" falacy started. ONLY when the "elders" were alerted to Adrian's character actually entering hte forest that the "creatures" started showing up.
did you ever see monsters in the storm drain?
If you did see scary ass monsters in the storm drain, would you go in there?

i bet......

·
Registered
205 Posts
Exodus said:
did you ever see monsters in the storm drain?
If you did see scary ass monsters in the storm drain, would you go in there?

i bet......
yeah, they're called bufos.

Ugly big-ass frogs. We just kicked them if they got in the way.

WE get loose dogs that roam our neighborhood and we live near a forest/watershed reserve so we get alot of feral pigs that run around as well.

you only get scared if you let yourself be scared. That's what a baseball bat and a airsoft gun is for.

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
AnnieMei said:
yeah, they're called bufos.

Ugly big-ass frogs. We just kicked them if they got in the way.

WE get loose dogs that roam our neighborhood and we live near a forest/watershed reserve so we get alot of feral pigs that run around as well.

you only get scared if you let yourself be scared. That's what a baseball bat and a airsoft gun is for.

Big frogs and big giant creatures with claws on their hands and their backs are completely different.

If you had a big frog coming after you that even though big for a frog is much smaller than you, it'd be easy to defeat it. If you've got some big fucking magical creature coming at you that's b***** than you are, then it's a completely different story.

Also, I don't think that if you were gonna be fighting a "mythical beast" that lives in the woods, you'd feel very safe with an airsoft gun (cuz they are SOOO deadly) and a baseball bat.

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
AnnieMei said:
Then M Night did a piss poor job to relate that to those "who are not from pennsylvania" (yeah I know, he's from there). If he was trying to pass on a folklore about creature who live in a forest to those who dont live there, then its obvious that he wasnt' trying hard enough to explain it. That's why teh whole beginning of the movie spoiled it. Its not real. Its fake.
I disagree. He explained it fine. There are monsters in the woods that the people are scared of. It didin't need any justification. They were scared of them. Plain and simple.

And that again, is piss poor reasoning to base a whole movie on. THE ENTIRE freaking village? give me a break. I live on a freaking island surrounded by 3000 miles of ocean on each side. You think that those who found the hawaiian islands were scared that the world was flat or there were monsters in the ocean that they wouldn't "leave" their own islands to venture forth to discover?
You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. People back in the day thought completely differently than we think today. If someone told them not to go somewhere because they would surely die, they didn't go there. Especially younger people. Monster stories scare little kids today. They scared little kids back then.

If columbus got enough courage in 1692 to venture out to find the Indias, I think a group of people in 1897 would have the courage to venture out in the forest. No matter "what" lives there.
Columbus sailed in 1492. And that's completely different as well. Columbus was a grown man who believed that he would survive. These were people who believed that they wouldn't survive if they entered the woods.

And you belive everything your politician tells you?
No, I was just pointing out the ignorance in your questioning why the village had elders. They were the ruling body. Just like a city has a council. I didn't say anything about the fact that they should believe them just because they were politicians.

Yup, we can see where the credibility is failing right there.
Once again, you are going on speculation. We have no clue that he had been going into the forest regularly and how many times Noah went into the woods. All we know is that once he brought the berries back, then the creatures came. For all you know, and everyone else that saw it, the time he brought the berries could have been the first time he went into the woods.

Yet it was shown that Adrians' character went into the forest (unknownst to the elders) over and over again without any problems.
I must've missed the parts in the movie when they showed him go into the woods time and time again. I must've been in the bathroom...oh wait, I didn't go to the bathroom. The only thing mentioned about him going into the woods was when Lucious said he "believes" that Noah has gone into the forest many times...we weren't shown that at all.

So if they dotn go into the forest, how do they get:
timber for their fires places?
wood to build their homes?
just the basics..
also supplies. Do they make all of their supplies? I didn't see anyone growign cotton, yet they can have clothes? Where do the clothes come from without material to weave them from. Did you see any cotton growing?
There were trees on the inside of valley as well. They could easily have harvested the wood from there. And I was unaware that cotton is the only material that clothing can be made from. Did you not notice the fact that they had livestock?? Hmmmm...could their clothing have been made from wool??? Wool, which comes from sheep?? Hmmm...probably not, clothing is apprently only made out of cotton.

Oh, and we saw sigourney weaving from a ball of yearn. Where did that yarn come from? isn't yarn made from cotton? Wait, there was no cotton farm that I saw. In fact, we only saw a vegetable garden, and some livestock...but no cotton. So, again, realisticly, the movie fails on so many levels, especially on logic.
Once again, your lack of general knowledge shines through. Yarn couldn't POSSIBLY be made from wool, could it??

Boys grave in beginning of the movie. Born 1890 Died 1897
Good point, forgot about that.

I've been known to pick out edit mistakes, cameras boom mikes in scenes and continuity problems like crazy.
Like I said, I still find it hard to believe that in the first 10 minutes of the movie, you thought to yourself SPOILER ALERT, DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE:
"Gee, this is gay. The monsters aren't real, they are just a hoax, and this village actually exists in modern times."

1 - 20 of 30 Posts