Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Knuckle Dragger
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you not initiated to motorcycle magazines published overseas, you may not have realized just how bad our domestic motorcycle publications are. And for those of you who do pick up the occasional copy of RiDE, PB, or BIKE, you know how painfully expensive it is.

Go buy a copy of the new Motorcyclist right now.

You will think you're reading a top-rate British magazine....until you notice they don't spell "tire" with a 'Y'.

We finally have a mag the rest of the world might consider reading.

Hats off to Catterson and his crew.

·
Registered
657 Posts
jim schmidt said:
Motorcyclist -- to me -- is absolutely the worst of the US rags. Otherwise, I agree with everything you've said.
I disagree, while the writing may not be the best, the content is balanced and informative (Okay, its leans a little to the sportbike side, but that's a good thing).

I usually don't bother with the european mags because a lot of the european bike specs don't match that of the US bikes, and I'm probably in the minority here, but if I want naked women pics, I'll buy a playboy, when I buy a bike magazine, I want to read about bikes and motorcycling.

·
Evil Wicked Mean & Nasty
1,187 Posts
None of them is Super Bike Magazine. I love the humor, and the bike tests are usually both accurate and entertaining.

It's just that brit lingo that you have to get used to... Colour, spanner, tyres, fortnight, what are the wankers saying ? Are they speaking some foreign language ? :bitchslap

:eek:nfloor :lao

·
BIRDMAN
2,559 Posts
Sprtrider does from time to time come out with a brilliant issue. Like the one out now with all the 990 gp bikes. But on the whole I do like the brit mags a lot lot more.
I'll take a look at MC though.

·
Knuckle Dragger
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jim schmidt said:
Motorcyclist -- to me -- is absolutely the worst of the US rags. Otherwise, I agree with everything you've said.
I would normally agree with you. But that was the point of the post. It's been completely redone. All new format starting this month.

And not once do they refer to tires as 'buns', not one "shootout" or "showdown".

When I first picked up this month's and saw how thick it was, I thought ,"Great. Someone took out another 30 page infomercial ad section"

Nope. It's all content.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Airmotive said:
I would normally agree with you. But that was the point of the post. It's been completely redone. All new format starting this month.
I'll have to check it out also. It used to be the worst. I am a big fan of Road Racer X.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I liked the May Road Bike issue. I usually flip through them in the store to see if anything would be of interest to me. I think all of them suck but sometimes there is an issue that has some interesting stories.

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
are you serious???? not even close. Sport Rider is better than Motorcyclist and still not even comparable to SuperBike magazine or Fast Bikes

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
He said Motorcyclist was new this month ...a whole new format. That means you should go look at it before saying "No way dude it sucked last year."

·
center of an asian pop
3,480 Posts
mmm...i'll go check it out. usually read the euro magazines though.. but they're so expensive.. :2eek we spend $50+ on bike magazines a month...

·
Banned
1,463 Posts
CaptNemo said:
None of them is Super Bike Magazine. I love the humor, and the bike tests are usually both accurate and entertaining.

It's just that brit lingo that you have to get used to... Colour, spanner, tyres, fortnight, what are the wankers saying ? Are they speaking some foreign language ?

:lol :lol :lol

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
modette said:
Motorcycle Consumer News - NO ADS, they tell it like it is.
I remember someone posting about a magazine about a year ago. I think this might be it. They were talking about no ads, no nothing....not even advertising their own mag. They make all their money off subscribers, so apparantly they have no pressure from sponsors to say favorable things.

·
Release the Dogs of War
352 Posts
I GET MCN. Its black and white, no color at all. Its all content. They post a lot of stuff from their readers and are very reader oriented (since its all subscription). The reviews are very interesting.

It also has the proficient motorcycling column in it, which is why I got the magazine in the first place. A lot of cruiser stuff which I admit I skip over. I really don't care about them.

·
It's good to B-King
3,290 Posts
CaptNemo said:
None of them is Super Bike Magazine. I love the humor, and the bike tests are usually both accurate and entertaining. It's just that brit lingo that you have to get used to... Colour, spanner, tyres, fortnight, what are the wankers saying ? Are they speaking some foreign language ? :bitchslap :eek:nfloor :lao .
SB is great. Best part is they still use english units of measure for the bike specs, so they are meaningful.

I noticed they have a lot less advertising in them.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Airmotive said:

And not once do they refer to tires as 'buns', not one "shootout" or "showdown".

When I first picked up this month's and saw how thick it was, I thought ,"Great. Someone took out another 30 page infomercial ad section"

Nope. It's all content.
This is the same issue with the phony claim about how they influenced Snell with their helmet "expose?"

Based on your recommendation, I'll pick one up. But having read that maybe-mighta-coulda piece (at the newsstand) I'm feeling a little skeptical.

I do read Superbike every month. Do you think it rises to that standard? If so, that would be great. I liked Performance Bike best during its heyday, but it's a pale shadow of what it once was.

As to SportRider, I've always considered it the best of the big three US rags. But I think it's been sliding these last few months (which I've attributed to sharing offices with Motorcyclist.) Cycle World has too much chopper coverage for my interests but has remained stable in the quality of its writing.

For me, the biggest decline in (English language) magazines worldwide has been the manufacturer's organization of press junkets. They dumb down the analysis and cause the same information and even pics to appear in lots of magazines each month. It's no accident that they all test the same bikes at the same time.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts