Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am in the market for some new grips. I do a lot of trips and wanted something a bit more comfortable.

Looking at a few grips and looking for input from anyone.

Here are a few in my wheelhouse...

Harris Gel GRIPS

URL: http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=370722594100

Pro grip 761
http://www.bikebandit.com/progrip-761-touring-motorcycle-grips

BMW Sport Grips
http://vfrworld.com/forums/general-vfr-discussions/29038-bmw-sport-grips.html

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I've always liked Progrips, but I only get a few thousand miles out of them before they're worn out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Same here, though I've had the same ProGrips on the 848 since shortly after I bought it....so roughly 14k miles and they were pretty worn. Great grip, no complaints.

Tried a set of Renthals on the CBR for a trackday weekend and fell in love with the tackiness of the grips, so now I'll have Renthals on the Duc as well.

Ran Driven D3s on the GSX-R while I had it. Those (and the Rizoma Sportline grips they are modeled after) are in no way made for any type of aggressive riding. They looked great, but never again putting a "grip" that is half slippery metal on any bike again.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I like the life out of stock grips. But I do like my super hard Renthal grips as well. For touring, I think I would get a pair of those gel weight lifting gloves to wear under regular gloves, before I tried to get comfort out of a set of grips.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Which Renthals did you use? They have a bunch of different tackiness from soft to extra hard. Been wanting to try them but my stock Aprilia grips are pretty nice

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
They came on the bike. I was told by someone who is a fan of renthal grips that they are the hardest one they make. That's all I know.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
They would be the Full Diamond-Firms. I have them for the 848.

The ones I have on the RR are the Dual Compound that have soft outer w/firm inner.

With Renthal, the lighter the color of the grip, the softer the compound. Up to the pasty yellow Kevlar grips that are soft, but last much longer than their normal soft compound grips.

-Christian

·
Registered
272 Posts
Renthal really needs to make their softer grips in black......who the hell wants light grey or yellow grips on a red sportbike.....not me.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
that's ridiculous to wear out grips so fast. my R6 has the stock grips on it and they're not worn much at all after 41k miles.
maybe not much for comfort but the "grip" level of them is just fine. try a better pair of gloves if you need more "grip". I've always owned kangaroo palm gloves that happen to always have a panel up the thumb and index finger and under the knuckles for grip too. so maybe that's why I don't have problems.
teknic gloves are my favs.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I ended up getting some Progrip "duo density" 717 grips. They seem pretty decent. Lots of grip, nice and soft without being too gelly. The firm compound holds onto the bar quite well.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Grip Puppies over stock grips.Eliminates hand cramps/arm pump gripping small diameter stock grips.I've found stock grips are the most durable and longest lasting after a one summer tryout of aftermarket ones.Progrips or something like that,not Renthals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts