Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
LMAO. Cagers really are as dumb as we think they are.

Earlier this year, after an Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) survey revealed that nearly half of California drivers were unaware that lane splitting is a legally tolerated practice in the Golden State.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
There was an ad by AMA or someone - decades ago - that showed a congested freeway, and then a dissolve where all the cars were replaced by motorcycles and how open the freeway began.

I thought it was very positive because it reminded the car drivers that someone getting out of their car and onto a bike actually helped everyone.

KeS

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
LMAO. Cagers really are as dumb as we think they are.
you want to know how dumb most drivers are observe an intersection with the power out.

lane splitting might have to be done away with because some new vehicles apply the brakes when something is next to them. I know someone with a jeep cherokee like this. it thinks he's merging and about to hit something so it applies the brakes.
more and more drivers that complain about this will def get the lane splitting stopped.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I was behind a jack ass today that stopped for a metro bus like it's a school bus.
I might be wrong but I think some of the Euro countries REQUIRE cars to stop when any bus is loading or unloading passengers. So one of our Euro-buds was playing tourist. It could be worse. In Florida they rent them handguns. :giggle

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Lanesharing is a wonderful thing. It's one of the only two things I miss about CA. I did it daily there for over 20 years, well over 40K miles of riding between lines of cars, and it was very good. I firmly believe that if you do it according to (or close to :D) the CHP guidelines, it's safer than sitting in traffic. And it's WAY more efficient, especially for motorcyclist of course, but also for everyone else. It really is a win-win activity. Nowadays, I spend far too much time crawling in stop-and-go in MA, hoping the guy behind me looks up from his phone now and then, and wearing out my clutch (in CA, I used to get 40-60K out of a set of clutchplates; I don't think I'm going to get that here).

PhilB

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Flashing yellow and dumb m*****f***ers turn it into a 4 way stop.
When a traffic light goes into a reset mode it'll flash red & yellow. The red side is to stop while the yellow is SUPPOSED to slow down and show caution. When the power goes out the intersection becomes a 4 way stop. Good luck getting the majority of moronic cagers to understand that. Most blow right through like they have a green light.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was behind a jack ass today that stopped for a metro bus like it's a school bus.
I was riding downtown last night and some dumbass in an SUV almost ran a red light half a block in front of me. He slammed on the brakes and screeched to a halt halfway out in the intersection. Had I been half a block quicker it could have been an issue. The light had been red for 30 seconds or more. Everyday I see cagers do something that is so stupid it just blows my mind. Everytime I think I've seen it all, they do something that reminds me that there's always somebody more stupid out there.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lanesharing is a wonderful thing. It's one of the only two things I miss about CA. I did it daily there for over 20 years, well over 40K miles of riding between lines of cars, and it was very good. I firmly believe that if you do it according to (or close to :D) the CHP guidelines, it's safer than sitting in traffic. And it's WAY more efficient, especially for motorcyclist of course, but also for everyone else. It really is a win-win activity. Nowadays, I spend far too much time crawling in stop-and-go in MA, hoping the guy behind me looks up from his phone now and then, and wearing out my clutch (in CA, I used to get 40-60K out of a set of clutchplates; I don't think I'm going to get that here).

PhilB
We do it in DC too, but just limit it to mostly filtering at the lights. With as bad as the traffic is here, it saves a lot of time when things get backed up. I just love it when I'm at an intersection and the light turns green but all the stupid cagers coming across the intersection are blocking the intersection. I just go down and weave around them and go on my way while they're all stuck there. Ha ha.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
They lowered the speed limits to arguably save gasoline back in the day, and now we add more gadgets to distract drivers

Any guess why they seem less attentive and dumber?

We all learned to multitask at 55 mph, since it's so damned slow you need to do other things just to stay awake and alert

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Nowadays, I spend far too much time crawling in stop-and-go in MA, hoping the guy behind me looks up from his phone now and then, and wearing out my clutch (in CA, I used to get 40-60K out of a set of clutchplates; I don't think I'm going to get that here).

PhilB
Just start doing it. That's how it started in Cali. No one sat down and decided to make lane splitting legal. People started doing it and eventually that was that. I'm starting my own little revolution here in FL.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just start doing it. That's how it started in Cali. No one sat down and decided to make lane splitting legal. People started doing it and eventually that was that. I'm starting my own little revolution here in FL.
I agree. I would rather get split and get away from the cell phone guy and possibly do something illegal than get hit. You get hit, they say they didn't see you, and you're dead. It's every man for himself. You have to do what you have to do to stay safe. The laws designed for cagers certainly aren't going to protect you.

Reactions: PhilB

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I've been rear ended on my motorcycle, I've never rear ended a cage. If traffic comes to a stop I'll be splitting lanes, I try to never get caught behind a car.

Reactions: PhilB

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been rear ended on my motorcycle, I've never rear ended a cage. If traffic comes to a stop I'll be splitting lanes, I try to never get caught behind a car.
I can't even imagine riding in Mexico. I lived in Ecuador for two years and people drove like crazy. I would split there too.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
Mexico was easier than where I live. No screens, so folks were actually looking at what was in front of them. I shouldn't split, it's illegal in my diminutive metropolis. I really shouldn't.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
“I expected to see riders who weren’t splitting lanes getting rear-ended by cars, but, in fact, it turned out to be that riders who weren’t lane splitting were more likely to be the one striking the vehicle in front of them in a rear-end collision,” says Ouellet.
Contrary to many claims on the internet.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I'll tell you one thing. I've never been rear ended while lane splitting, but I have had cars change lanes into me while not lane splitting.

I split legal or not every time traffic slows.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll tell you one thing. I've never been rear ended while lane splitting, but I have had cars change lanes into me while not lane splitting.

I split legal or not every time traffic slows.
That's the way I feel when I'm in DC traffic, mostly rush hour downtown. If I can filter to the front and shoot out in front of traffic into mostly empty space, I don't have them surrounding me on all sides, changing lanes into me, impairing other drivers' view of me, etc. When I first started riding in DC traffic, I rode my bike like I drove a cage and was always having cars change lanes into me. I haven't had that happen in a while, and when it does, because I don't usually have too many of them around me, I have somewhere to go.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts