Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are people on here who wish to withhold the truth, that know what happened, but won't tell you. I'm keeping my source somewhat on the down-low because he could get into trouble for telling me. Here is the scoop.

A good friend of mine that I used to work at the fire dept with works where the accident happened. I knew he was in that same area and e-mailed him, he was on the scene. The privacy act says he's not supposed to disclose info to anyone who doesn't need to know, so he did break the law by telling me.

Police and the driver she rear ended estimate her speed at over 100mph (this could be exaggerated by the driver/officer I dunno). But supposedly witnesses also said she had been riding very erraticly (sp?). She didn't deserve to die, but riding like that on a public street, it was bound to happen. I guess she did a quick lane change at the same time a taxi cab did, and she rear ended him because she was going about 50mph faster than he was. She was DOA when EMT's showed up.

People are putting this girl up like she's a saint, and the truth needs to come out, so we can all learn from her mistake. Word I got was that the cab driver was NOT ticketed due to his and other statements at the scene, plus the evidence from the incident itself.

She basically killed herself, unintentionally, but still.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
It had to come out eventually.

RIP Katie

Now it's time to sit around and watch this thread fall apart with people trying to defend her and calling BS. Everything he posted above is TRUE (yes, I do know) so don't try to argue it. I'm not saying we should all flame her, but putting her up on this golden pedestal just because she was well known is a bunch of crap. Learn from her mistakes, and hopefully some of you assholes who break the laws of the road will learn to slow down a little bit, or we might just be posting about you in the near future.

Also some of you might recognize the information he posted, it's a WORD FOR WORD copy of what another SBN member revealed to a few people, I'll leave that member nameless.

·
Registered
5 Posts
twisted_medic said:
She was DOA when EMT's showed up.
Oh, yeah?

Richmond Times Dispatch (Virginia)

August 5, 2004 Thursday City Edition

SECTION: AREA/STATE; Pg. B-3

LENGTH: 82 words

HEADLINE: MOTORCYCLE CRASH KILLS WOMAN, 27

BODY:
A 27-year-old woman died Tuesday after her motorcycle crashed into the rear of a slow-moving car on state Route 27 in Arlington County.

State police said Kathryn Ashton of Lake Ridge in Prince William County wrecked shortly after 4 p.m. and died 40 minutes later at a Washington hospital. She was driving north when she ran into the car just south of Rotary Road, police said.

Virginia's 2004 highway death toll yesterday was 519, compared with 541 as of the same date last year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
firefighter81 said:
It had to come out eventually.
Not so fast.

firefighter81 said:
Now it's time to sit around and watch this thread fall apart
I don't think so. This thread will be erased shortly, for I have sent an e-mail to Virginia State Police about leaking confidential information to the public. I have already captured the screen images and have also a PDF format of the thread, which I am very willing to give if they ask me for evidence. Furthermore, I am planning to send more messages to appropriate state and local agencies.

firefighter81 said:
Also some of you might recognize the information he posted, it's a WORD FOR WORD copy of what another SBN member revealed to a few people, I'll leave that member nameless.
But how long will be that way to the authority?

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
You actually notified the police?? If she died doing something stupid why can't everyone know? It's much less depressing than hearing about people who do everything right on a motorcycle and still get canned and leave a family behind.

·
Registered
5 Posts
nig said:
You actually notified the police?? If she died doing something stupid why can't everyone know? It's much less depressing than hearing about people who do everything right on a motorcycle and still get canned and leave a family behind.
http://www.rcfp.org/cgi-local/tapping/index.cgi?key=VA69

"IV. RECORD CATEGORIES -- OPEN OR CLOSED.
J. Police records.
1. Accident reports.

Though in practice they usually are disclosed, the Act allows withholding."

Also: http://www.cycleforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1667704#post1667704

Originally posted by 2StrokeRS250 Just because they are confidential doesn't mean people don't talk. The information I received was directly from the scene, and a direct violation of the privacy act, but it's out there now.
Besides, there is no reason to believe what was mentioned is in fact correct. Since the information itself is confidential, there is no way for us to find out what is correct. And discrepancy has been already exposed. I am concerned that someone is willing to leak confidential information to public to further advance their agenda. That is appalling.

But maybe they will ignore. Will see. I am done.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Anytime someone you know dies, it is human nature to defend them no matter what which is exactly what "New Member" is doing. 99 times out of 100 a person on a sportbike who rearends a car is grossly exceeding the speedlimit. Was Katie speeding excessivly? Most likely. The end result is the same.

If this was some no-name squid, we ALL would probably be ripping them a new asshole and saying he dug his own grave. But because it was someone people here knew, they have to defend her............

I don't agree with notifying the police about this. That is very lame. If the story wasn't true or very close to it, why would "New Member" call the police? Hmmmmmm..........

·
Registered
145 Posts
yakky said:
Everytime Katie has crashed, people always said that it wasn't her fault (yet there were no other vehicles involved), that she was such a great rider. Each time her tracks were covered. I hope those that covered for her each time are proud of their work.

Its no surprise that they are being covered this time.

Just by the fact that all her buddies aren't blaming the cab driver, its clear she was at fault. Their silence is enough to point she was at fault.
Care to share details about her prior crash(es)? Just curious........

·
Registered
10 Posts
http://www.cycleforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116302&highlight=katie

Sxy Rdr :per the request of one of Katie's best friends, I will post the basic information of the accident to stop the tongue wagging and speculations. Todd spoke with the officer that worked the accident scene and this was the information as we know it.

The accident site was Washington Blvd/395 northbound. (Click for map)

Based on the initial measurements of the marks left at the scene, her speed was estimated to be around 100 mph. The cab driver claims that he was moving at approximately 20 mph but the passenger in the cab said they were stopped at the time. Katie hit the brakes, but could not stop or avoid the cab. She locked up her brakes and then lowsided into the cab. She was killed instantly.

That is what happened. No more speculation. No need to add to the story.

·
So Sexy it hurts
687 Posts
jim schmidt said:
And aren't most dead people pronounced later on arrival at the hospital?
Yep

yakky said:
Well, I could go from memory, but then I'd get blasted as them being non factual. I believe she went down twice in the last two years on the street, she was the only vehicle involved.

I remember them as well......always struck me funny.....kinda like how many bikes she had stolen...and like you don't remember details, but DID remember the slew of defenders coming to her aid.

She had amazing hold on many people who would normally join in on the bashing of a member for doing the things she did. It was like none other I'd ever seen

Never met her, never really interacted with her other than made a few comments that were NOT of the leg humping or "cover-up" nature and was deemed a "hater"

Her death is a terrible shame, and I am still saddened by it, but for the life of me I can't understand why so many refuse to ever admit she did anything but walk on water. Folks noone is perfect and people make mistakes....no need to build a person up as a god when everyone knows better......in the same token, in respect of her memory, there's no need to continue speculating and or casting stones at her......I think we all know what killed her.......and it's the same carelessness we've ALL been guilty of at some point.

Learn from it

·
Registered
4 Posts
New Member said:
Oh, yeah?

Richmond Times Dispatch (Virginia)

August 5, 2004 Thursday City Edition

SECTION: AREA/STATE; Pg. B-3

LENGTH: 82 words

HEADLINE: MOTORCYCLE CRASH KILLS WOMAN, 27

BODY:
A 27-year-old woman died Tuesday after her motorcycle crashed into the rear of a slow-moving car on state Route 27 in Arlington County.

State police said Kathryn Ashton of Lake Ridge in Prince William County wrecked shortly after 4 p.m. and died 40 minutes later at a Washington hospital. She was driving north when she ran into the car just south of Rotary Road, police said.

Virginia's 2004 highway death toll yesterday was 519, compared with 541 as of the same date last year.
just a little fyi, this could be due to the fact that only a medical doctor can pronounce someone "dead".....so factually someone could have died at the scene...however they will not be pronounced dead till a Medical Doctor Says so........could be the reason for the "conflict" of information....as for the wreck being public knowledge....it is...there was a wreck...an investigation was done...and then close..there was no "homicide". Cause of death was pretty obvious. Police reports due to the freedom of information act can be requested...thats how news papers post up about cases that have been closed. and sometimes ongoing.....

My only bitch about this is....why be anon about it....if posting the truth..stand up and say it without the blanket pulled over you...as they say..dont be skurred....if your right your right...no need to hide..the fact he/she went on every single local board to post this sounds devious to me...Im all about facts and the truth, but tact is important....especially when there is obviously many people who knew her.....only makes me think the intent is to get a bunch of people up in arms and upset them....why? So we can all "know" what was "obvious"? just my .02 and I know a few wont agree....ride safe

·
How about them Redskins?
2,418 Posts
Wow,

I am confused about one thing. Was this information confidential like the original poster said, and got new member got bent out of shape, or is this information public record, where anyone can access it?

1 - 20 of 82 Posts