Sport Bikes banner

21 - 40 of 518 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Roger Stone. Who is keeping the faith?

Plus, cave in on the wall. Not that anybody should be surprised. Anybody who lived in NYC in the 1980s could have told you that Trump was incompetent and almost never actually accomplished anything without getting bailed out by somebody. He doesn't have that kind of crutch to lean on in dealing with people like Pelosi and McConnell.

Trump's polling is going down, which will give Republican officials pause. They are beginning to leave the Trump cult now. The number who stay out of the cult and the number who leave in three weeks when the next Trump shutdown is likely to occur will be the next set of tea leaves to read.

Nothing in any of this says he won't wriggle out, survive, and get reelected. What it says without a doubt is that Trump is the same incompetent blow-hard that he's always been.
Roger Stone, like Papadopolous and Manafort, has been indicted on procedural crimes. This is what you charge people with when you have nothing on them. This is what prosecutors do to save face. Zero Russian collusion.

As I said, keep the faith. Mueller is good at giving you something to chew on, but these are not the droids you are looking for.

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
Roger Stone, like Papadopolous and Manafort, has been indicted on procedural crimes. This is what you charge people with when you have nothing on them. This is what prosecutors do to save face. Zero Russian collusion.

As I said, keep the faith. Mueller is good at giving you something to chew on, but these are not the droids you are looking for.
So far. You don't know what will come out, and neither do I. But, there's more smoke than Nixon ever generated.

Jeremiah 5:21

·
Premium Member
13,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

Well, GEE! I guess that settles it! :|

When Mueller's finished, I'm pretty well satisfied that it's going to be an absolutely explosive report. Already the number of convicted and/or indicted Trumpists has set new records for wrongdoing. And there will be a bunch more to come, including criminal indictments against people who are already indicted for other crimes.

In the end, Trump will be thoroughly discredited, if not impeached and convicted. He'll fight in the courts until his last day in office, slowing down the process at every turn. He's already toast to most of the country. Each new day reminds him that he's among the walking dead. His tweets are already getting into the realm of being psychotic.

I doubt he and Melania "do it" much anymore.

·
Registered
15,109 Posts
Convo overheard this PM in DC

"what's your name?"
"donald, nancy,my name is donald"
"your name is reek"
"no, its don--"
"reek"
"but my parents"
"your. name. is reek."

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
I think you're concentrating on the wrong word of the two.
Even so, he won't be impeached. The politics of it are wrong. There's no advantage to impeaching the idiot and having a more competent evil gnome take over. The Democrats would have to remove Pence first, and Pence has managed to stay out of the cesspool, more or less. Trump's utter incompetence will harm the country, but from a purely partisan standpoint, his demonstrable incompetence is good for the Democrats. If the economy slows, which is inevitable eventually, he will get full credit for screwing it up. That's also good for the Democrats. Why would they want to get rid of him? If anybody is going to eventually want him removed, it will be the Republicans. Another routine like what we just went through and the Republicans will start looking for ways to rid themselves of the problem. I plan to enjoy the comedy and do whatever I can to ignore the damage it's doing to my country.

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
It might be useful for the Trump suckers brigade to remember how a RICO Act prosecution works. But they are suckers who do not mind being serfs so long as the twit in the castle pays lip service to their tribal prejudices. That is missing the point of America, but being a stupid sucker is protected by the Constitution. Ironic, isn't it!

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
It is also instructive to remember that Barr, whatever other opinions he has, seems to think Mueller is mostly performing a legitimate investigation. And that Mueller is not done. He is a thorough and methodical career prosecutor who has undoubtedly gone after more competent crooks. Trump is the Keystone Kops from the looks of everything, from his bumbling negotiation style to his sloppiness with facts and his entourage's tendency to leave a slug trail. It is not over and my guess is that it won't be lver for another six months or more.

·
Premium Member
13,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Roger Stone. Who is keeping the faith?[snipped]...Trump's polling is going down, which will give Republican officials pause. They are beginning to leave the Trump cult now. The number who stay out of the cult and the number who leave in three weeks when the next Trump shutdown is likely to occur will be the next set of tea leaves to read.

Nothing in any of this says he won't wriggle out, survive, and get reelected. What it says without a doubt is that Trump is the same incompetent blow-hard that he's always been.
First impeachment: The senate is blinking. They're not so sure they should be solid in TRump's corner. McConnell is still drinking the Kool-Aid but it's conjectural as to whether he's a drinker of it or a seller of it. The more I watch him the more I am convinced he's pretty much like Trump, what with his ties to dark Chinese money his wife brings to that matchup. The guy's a crook. But my point is that impeachment is not altogether not an option IF, and only if, the clamor for Trump's head becomes so strong that the Senate, never a body with much courage, caves into becoming strong to convict. a very big IF.

Then, too, there's a time issue here. We're just about 22 months to the next election. The impeachment process is very slow, as we saw with Nixon.

The only way impeachment works is if the country abandons Trump in numbers large enough to demonstrate that to NOT impeach endangers a politician's reelection.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
It will be interesting to see how things go forward in the next couple of months. In a way Trump did a smart thing in ending the shutdown for 3 weeks. The Dems said that they would negotiate once the government is open. Now he can sit back and let them fail to fund the wall then put the next shutdown on them because he gave them the chance to keep the government open. I could be wrong but I think the next shutdown will not end till he has funding for the wall and the blame will be put on the other side. I of course hope I am wrong and they actually find a way to avoid another shutdown or at least end it quick so I don't miss paychecks but I wont hold my breath. I personally think that some big changes need to take place with our politics but we are in no way the only ones with a messed up system.

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
I am quite sure Trump agrees with you. However, as he has proved over and over, he is a lousy negotiator. He mistakes bluster and tantrums for negotiation. It isn't. Anybody who has ever successfully negotiated anything with an equal knows this. He has no experience with real negotiations. Instead, his entire career has been built upon throwing his weight around. That absolutely will not work with Congress, and it is even less likely to work with a shrewd and experienced operator like Nancy Pelosi. Say what you will about her, she is extremely effective at doing what she is doing, just as Mitch McConnell is effective at doing what he is doing.

The problem Trump has now is that he is backed into a corner. He cannot, and will not be able to convince the Democrats or even all of the Republicans, that a wall is effective or even feasible. It is neither, and anybody whose not a complete idiot understands that a wall won't do diddly squat. Most traffic of various kinds comes through other means of entry. What does come across the Mexican border is relatively minor and comes through tunnels under the border often enough that it's clear a wall is a waste of money. So much for the GOP being the party of fiscal prudence.

But, we already have further evidence that Trump is easy to roll. Look at Foxconn in Wisconsin. They are not going to be manufacturing anything in Wisconsin. The Republicans got rolled on that one, and rolled but good by a Chinese company. Nice going, there, Mr. Art of the Deal.

So, with all this evidence that Trump is incapable of negotiating his way out of a wet paper bag, and the fact that the public overwhelmingly blamed him for shutting down the government, I think he has screwed himself completely. Nancy Pelosi can read polls and figure it out, while Trump is busy watching Fox Propaganda that sucks up to him. I seriously doubt he is even completely aware of what's going on. The rest of the GOP is, and the likelihood that Senate Republicans split off is pretty high. If he declares a "national emergency," they will see the unintended consequences and cringe. If they are smart, they won't support it and will block it because it gives the biggest hammer you can imagine to the next Democratic Party president. I doubt the courts will go along, because building a wall is hardly an emergency. It's a dick wave, which is all Trump really cares about.

I expect another shut-down, and I expect Trump's teflon coat with the GOP to erode further. The stupid wing loves him, but not everyone in the GOP is a drooling idiot. He will try an emergency and get shot down again. Maybe his pal Vlad will build the wall for him in exchange for more classified information.

To go back to discussing impeachment, Trump's transparent incompetence benefits the Democrats and harms the Republicans. It will be the Republicans who will try to get rid of him when the ugliness gets too great.

·
Registered
15,109 Posts
There's not going to be another shutdown, he blew his wad on the last one. He's already saying they're building the wall now with money they found under the cushions. He's not talking to anyone but the 37% diehard supporters now. 50/50 on declaring the national emergency. That'll end up @ SCOTUS, without the support of an amicus brief from the Senate.

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
He continues to throw sand in the works. Those who wanted a vandal got one. Like the adolescent vandal he apparently is, it is mindless vandalism. The next administration will have a he'll of a mess to clean up.

Speaking of Hell, Sarah Sanders signed her ticket there. So do those who think Trump's destructive and inhumanity inflicting policies are doing God's will. Unless it is God's purpose to show that the wingnut white evangelical movement is nothing but a bunch of followers of false prophets. There is nothing Christian about what they promote or seem to believe. They should spend some time reading John the Divine and consider who the prostitute might be.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I don't think he will declare a state of emergency and fully believe that it will end up being a shutdown that last a lot longer this time. I have no idea how long it could go on before enough R cross the isle to overturn the veto but I don't see Trump backing down on it. I honestly hope I am wrong but Trump is not going to sign off on anything that does not fund the wall and the Dems will not give any money for the wall. Who gets the blame makes no difference to me. As to if a wall would do anything at all..... on its own no it would do nothing but with technology and the right number of officers it might slow people that do cross enough for officers to arrive and stop anyone from getting past. Of course you will still have other ways that people and drugs and everything will get through but it would allow you to focus more on those other ways. It would simply be another tool to be used is all.

The other thing that might happen is Trump might go ahead and send a bunch more troops and give them orders to shoot anyone attempting to cross illegally. Of course everything at this point is speculation and all I can do is have a backup plan ready if the shutdown last much longer than the last one. That will be something else to watch if there is another shutdown and it last longer than the last one. I don't think many more weeks would have gone by before they would have had to use the military to cover Prisons, TSA, and other such things and I have no idea how that would work. At some point workers would have to go do something to be able to pay the bills.

·
Premium Member
13,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Why I didn't bother watching the SOTU speech:

“If I had not been elected president of the United States,” he said, “we would right now, in my opinion, be in a major war with North Korea.”

With bullshit like that, it's a waste of time to watch that thing. I also heard it was the 2nd longest SOTU speech in history, the longest being last year's.

I read the Times's summary of it and then some side articles.

Trump's such a asshole. He needs to go down. He just hasn't got a clue. I keep hoping he'll choke to death on a piece of Mar-a-Lago cheescake.

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
I was in transit in Texas and couldn't listen or watch the speech or the rebuttal. I got a bunch of right wing evangelical radio stations chiming in about how wonderful Trump's speech was. That was fascinating, in a horrifying way. Trump as a religious icon and subject of religious support. Amazing. I'm absolutely convinced those people are headed for hell now, if I wasn't before. The kinds of things they focused on were astonishing to me as a rational person who tries to be informed and as a person who is an active member of a church. The wingnut evangelicals seem to love the divisiveness and bluster. He was speaking directly to them from the sounds of what I heard last night.

I don't know what's going to happen with the coming deadline. There's no point in a wall. It doesn't even slow people down enough to make much of a difference. If Trump orders shootings at the border, then you will see pictures of murdered mothers and children so fast it will make your head spin. That won't fly, and I doubt the border patrol agents want any part of that. They are Americans and human beings, after all.

What I can gather this morning from a glance at the news was that Trump started out being somewhat conciliatory, and then got into his usual diatribes later in the speech. He has always reverted to being a playground bully and coddled crybaby after brief flashes of reason in the past, so there's not much cause to expect anything different this time. I don't expect his whining about "partisan investigations" to have any impact on the Mueller investigation or any of the upcoming inquiries into his shady financial dealings. That will set him off. I also don't expect him to back down on a wall, and I don't expect the Democrats in Congress to back down from telling him to stuff it. This means that another shutdown is 50/50. Remember, he had a deal with the Republicans back in December, when the GOP controlled the Senate and the House. He fucked that up after Faux News got bent over it. There's nothing to say that won't happen again. All he seems to do is watch TV and preen, and when his favorite blow-hards aren't singing his praises, his preening gets interrupted. Then he does stupid things, like screwing up a done deal and creating destructive havoc.

The economy is strong enough now that it withstood the last shutdown and seems to be withstanding slowdowns in a variety of sectors. The choppiness tells me we are nearing the end of the boom cycle, although I think we are at least a year out from a full blown recession. His next SOTU speech will be interesting if things are slowing.

TL;DR - same old shit, different day.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
It would seem that they are putting out a whole lot of concertina wire on the border. It should help to slow anyone trying to cross over land and allow a little more response time.

I didn't watch the SOTU either but then I don't remember the last one I did watch.

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
Concertina wire is ugly, harms wildlife, and is useless if you can cut it. Plus, tunnels go right past anything like a barrier above grade. It's window dressing for Little Lord Trumpleroy's ego trip. That's all this wall thing is about.

We really need to start paying more attention to the other things Trump and his minions are up to. He's lining his own pockets at our expense, and he will continue to get away with it as long as he has a distraction. He's not that smart, and we know he's about as lazy as they come. But, he's got a level of corrupt street smarts that serve him reasonably well so long as the game doesn't get much past checkers.

21 - 40 of 518 Posts