Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to get some gear finally! I know I know. I should have posted this in the Riders Gear forum. But seriously, I know alot of you and respect your opions alot more than people posting from around the U.S. You know the climate, riding conditons here. Some of you even know my build. Alot of you have already experienced going down. I am sick of not riding with gear. I have a :gay helmet for now. But at least it is a helmet. I would prefer to get a jacket, gloves, pants, and boots now. I think I will work my way down the list. I have been doing alot of reading so dont think I just came here to avoid doing research. I just really want to make sure that I make a decent choice the first time. I thought about getting the Ikon Timax Mesh stuff, along with the Timax gloves. But I have heard alot of really negative things about them except for the fact that they look good. I obviously want to be able to stay somewhat cool in the summer but I do want the good protection. What kind of gear do you reccomend? Perfed leather? Mesh? Textile? What about gloves? (thinking of the A*'s GP tech's) I really do need :feedback . Thanks In advance. Sorry about the long post!

·
Registered
81 Posts
To be honest with you man the timax gloves and jackets are good gloves and jackets and the agv sport gear is also nice and would protect you pretty well. A pair of nice rideing gloves that have enough padding to protect your hands and are light and comfortable are the icon super duty gloves they are nice. I like them. Pant wise icon had pants that are pretty nice but they are not made as well as agv and some of the joe rocket pants I think agv Alpinestar would be your best bet on alot of the gear though cause they are what the Moto Gp and the AMA use and you see them wreck and they are fine no road rash. Thats my opinion. :headbang :hail to riding gear!

·
Florida Forum Moderator
3,598 Posts
From experience, I've had good luck with Joe Rocket (leather) jackets. They're not bad in the summer (unless you're sitting still....but how often is that) and leather offers the best protection. I've seen mesh jackets shred from less than 30mph crashes.....and I've seen leather ones barely scratched after 65mph+ crashes. As for gloves, I have used Alpinestar gloves for the last few years. They are extremely durable. Sure they might cost a little more up front. But since you don't have to replace them once a year from wearing out, it makes them a worthy invesment. I currently have the GP Pro AP* and I love 'em!

Hope that helps!

Gov

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Same here I had good luck with Joe Rocket gloves, which are pretty affordable, and I like the Field Sheer Jacket line. Mesh, even though it feels nice in the summer won't to much for you. However, if you cannot afford leather look for jackets that are made of a canvas type material, I have no idea what type of fabric it would be, but thats what my jacket is made out of and I haven't had any problems with it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'm a big proponent of the old saying "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday". I do agree somewhat with Spidey750, but I think some of the better riders are wearing Joe Rocket (Mladin, Zemke, Spies). I don't know much about Icon so I'll leave that hornet's nest alone.

Most of us, so I've noticed, either wear Joe Rocket or Alpine Stars. Icon stuff just seems too flashy. My opinion? If you have to work down a check list of gear, get the gloves first (leather with knuckle protection), then a jacket, then pants or boots. The reason I say gloves first is cause God forbid you go down and knarl your hands up, who's gonna wipe your ass when you take a sh!t? Id rather rash up my back then have to call somebody to my house everytime I POOP! That's my 4 cents! :nerd

·
Banned
86 Posts
GSXR SICKS said:
The reason I say gloves first is cause God forbid you go down and knarl your hands up, who's gonna wipe your ass when you take a sh!t? Id rather rash up my back then have to call somebody to my house everytime I POOP! That's my 4 cents! :nerd

Ill come whipe your ass bobby !! lol

Do what im doing !

Sell your car for way too much $ Buy a bike and have 1k left over to buy whatver you need and Im gonna invest in a rain jacket because it doesnt seem like the weather is gonna get any better !!! I THINK IM INSANE !!! :cry

·
I'm A Naughty Girl
837 Posts
Syed ROCKS. Their one piece saved my azz! Joe Rocket jackets are verynice also. Technic gloves and alpine. boots.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I got an idea, why don't you post up with what you wear when you ride. I'll start:

Leather perforated jacket, hard drive gloves, hard drive boots all provided by Joe Rocket. Kevlar reinforced denim jeans by Draggin Jeans (Fast Company). Boxer briefs provided by Hanes.

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. I do want to get a suit from Syed. Especially if I can ever get lucky enough to make it out to jennings. I've heard alot of good things about their leathers. I can't go with Alpinestars boots cuz they don't make a 14. I do plan on starting with at least a jacket and gloves now. I'm going to alot for about $600 this month for gear. I do have questions about sizing. How the hell do I measure myself? I'm not good at these things. All I know is big. But I don't want something too big so I look like a dork. I think I have decided to go with leather though. Preferably perforated. I can't thank everyone enough for their help.

·
Florida Forum Moderator
3,598 Posts
Naughty76 said:
Thanks everyone. I do want to get a suit from Syed. Especially if I can ever get lucky enough to make it out to jennings. I've heard alot of good things about their leathers. I can't go with Alpinestars boots cuz they don't make a 14. I do plan on starting with at least a jacket and gloves now. I'm going to alot for about $600 this month for gear. I do have questions about sizing. How the hell do I measure myself? I'm not good at these things. All I know is big. But I don't want something too big so I look like a dork. I think I have decided to go with leather though. Preferably perforated. I can't thank everyone enough for their help.
Get yourself down to a shop and try some on. Even the same number size can be different between companies. Sky Powersports typically stocks alot of gear, so head on out to Lake Wales and ask for my brother (Brad). He'll be more than happy to help you out.

Gov

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah.... I met Brad at Jen's house during the party. He was why I decided to do more research on the Ikon stuff. Thank god I did. I have decided to go with the perfed leather. Going to check out syed now, maybe joe rocket, teknic, and alpine stars. I really appreciate everything. My only problem is I can only get out to sky down in lake wales two saturdays a month. I'd prefer to get one before the aug. 1 ride. Tom.... I may have to hit ya up when I get down to lake wales. I'm not really sure where sky is as i am not very familiar with LW.

·
Registered
894 Posts
One thing to remember, and I think others will back me up on this, is that you don't want your jacket too big. It should fit snug, but comfortable. You don't want that thing bunching up and shifting around on your in a tumble. Look at the pro's... does it look like they're wearing leather leisure suits? :nerd

·
Believe It or Not........
5,339 Posts
Take a trip to Syed and let them measure you, it's free and there's no obligation!!

I ended up buying an Alpinestar GPU suit, Dyno jacket, GP plus gloves and supertech boots. Quality stuff!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I just bought a pair or TiMax gloves. I returned them. Very protective, look cool, but they were very uncomfortable. Too much material in a lot of places. My grip on the bars was compromised. My hands hurt from wearing them. I wouldn't recommend them.

For boots, take a look at the Sidi Airs. They are the best boots I've ever had, and I've had quite a few.

·
Registered
52 Posts
syed makes some of the best leather out there. i like technic gloves. they dont seem to bunch up in the palm. they also have lasted very well. if you do get mesh for the heat, i can honestly say that i saw fieldsheer mesh protect a friend that went down at around 60mph. he had very little injuries. besides being black and blue in a few places the fierldsheer's did save his elbows and back from some serious rash. it is only good for one time only though. it does come apart. on the street i wear a techinc leather jacket or fieldsheer mesh, and on the track or hard steet rides i wear a full dainese leather suit custom fit by syed. the dainese are great leathers but too costly. the only reason i got mine was i got lucky on ebay ($275). if i were going to buy a new set of leather or get a leather jacket i would go to syed. one good thing about doing that is you can buy one of his jackets, then later on when you have the cash you can get a set of his pants to match. syed has many sets of leather in his shop that he is repairing that are made by almost every company out there. you can compair the quality of all the brands side by side and syed's stuff just seems to be best in my opinion. you should take a ride over there and check them out. i got a very good deal from new enough leather on a pair of sidi boots. i have had them about two years and they are holding up well. www.newenough.com has some good deals from time to time. i can't really comment on other brands other than the ones i have used myself. just make sure everything fits properly. if you want to do local business, talk to Brad at sky in L.W. he can pull out the books and show you whatever you want.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I look at it like this...

I dress for the crash, not the ride. Some people say dress for the ride, hell even in some MSF classes, they say Dress for the ride...

I also live in florida and know how the heat gets. You do not know heat until you go to Jennings in the summer!

However, that road rash is going to burn a lot more than a little sweat! Like The Gov said, mesh tears at even low speeds. Nothing beats the leathers in terms of protection.

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys. I plan on trying to take an "extended" lunch break tomorrow and ride from work (memorial blvd in lakeland) to Sky in Lake Wales. I figured I will at least try on some things. Get size ideas. This is the only way I can get to Sky (because of my crappy work schedule.) I have the same problem with making it to Syed as much as I would LOVE to get out there. I work monday through sat two weeks a month from 7-5. :mad: I missed out on a pair of Alpine Stars GP plus gloves on ebay for $80 brand new!

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went to sky today on my lunch break. Alot of thanks go out to Brad down there. He came off his lunch break to help me since I rode all the way over from Lakeland. He showed me a couple of jackets. I really liked the joe rocket speedster but I figured I'd get a perfed leather jacket. He then showed me a Technic Chicayne (perfed yellow and black) It fit well. May be a little short in the back if i really lean forward on the bike. I was worried about it being worse but he pulled a bike out for me to try it out on and it wasn't bad at all. I ordered one in black and silver. I also ordered Alpinestars GP pro gloves. After trying some on the XL would have been too small so i am glad I didn't win the ones I had found on Ebay. Thanks everyone for your help.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts