Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty interesting huh?

I noticed this because today me and treadless went for a ride and I was checking out his bike and noticed the first letter on the VIN was a V instead of the usual J (Japan) and I got curious. So I get home and look it up and sure enough the GS500F is constructed in Spain.

Learn something new every day.

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
News to me. Have a link to what you looked up?
Sure.

Here's a link.

You can use this VIN as an example (found it via an ebay auction lol)

VTTGM51A072102630

VIN Decoder for cars, trucks and motorcycles @ Motoverse.com

Also the Honda 599 AKA: Hornet is constructed in Italy for those that don't know.

I know where alot of vehicles are made just off the top of my head, and it'd probably suprise you to know where your ford or chevy is made lol

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
What surprises me the most is that GS500s produced in Spain were supposed to be for the European markets only.

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I don't know if maybe half the run was Japanese built and maybe the other half Spanish.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Whats funny is my friend has an Cadillac Escalade that cost $60,000+ and he brags about it all the time. I checked his vin and sure enuff its made in Mexico!. I buy my cars and bikes only if it came from the original country it was designed in. BTW his Escalade is in the shop for repairs broken transmission.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Suzuki makes ATVs built in Rome, Georgia too. Would you not buy an American built, Japanese designed ATV?

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Whats funny is my friend has an Cadillac Escalade that cost $60,000+ and he brags about it all the time. I checked his vin and sure enuff its made in Mexico!. I buy my cars and bikes only if it came from the original country it was designed in. BTW his Escalade is in the shop for repairs broken transmission.
I'm the same way.

GM makes alot of their vehicles in Mexico, as does VW, alot of USDM VW's are produced in Brasil and Mexico.

Speaking of Cadillac, you know the Cadillac Catera? Well there's not a thing about that car that is Cadillac, it's actually an Opel, which is a German company, but they are owned by GM though so you know how the whole badge engineering thing works ...

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Suzuki makes ATVs built in Rome, Georgia too. Would you not buy an American built, Japanese designed ATV?
The state Georgia, yeah?

Did you know BMW built the Z3 and Z4 (except the coupe' models) in Spartansburg, SC. Also the BMW SUV's are built in the same plant, the little Z3 and Z4 roadsters are actually 100% built in the U.S. besides the transmission and engine which are constructed in Munich, Germany and then shipped over here to the SC plant. Also they are not made anywhere else, even Germany, if you see a guy going down the autobahn in a Z4 he's driving a car that was made in SC :eek:nfloor

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
I would never buy a car (or much of anything) made in Mexico. They are notorious for poor manufacturing. I used to have a 2000 audi A4, my friend a 2000 VW jetta. Both built on the same platform, designed by the same company, etc.... Mine was the nicest car I've ever owned. In the first year he had the driver's side window fall off the track and break, the driver's side door sagged, MAF sensor failed, tracks for the power seats squealed, mirrors wouldn't adjust, tires wore uneven. It was almost comical.

The difference? My A4 was manufactured in ingolstadt, his jetta near mexico city.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm the same way.

but they are owned by GM though so you know how the whole badge engineering thing works ...
I'd say the best example of this is the latest Ponitac GTO. The thing is called a GTO, has a vette engine, but looks like a dodge neon! I talked to a pontiac salesman and he said they had such a hard time selling them, they had to put hood scoops and body kits on htem to get them off the floor, because people came in there adn thought they were little sport compacts.

I guess in Australia that is how muscle cars look or something. But yeah, I think GM can learn a little from Holden, Opel, and other companies they own, that make more than one car with a manual transmission. I hate how either Americans are too lazy to apply a little more attention when driving that a stick gives you; or how manufacturers simply take us for a lazy Americans who just want to drive with our cell phones and eat cereal on the road.

I believe its a reason for so many car crashes. When I first started driving stick, I paid way more attention to the road, than anything else, and it created another awareness for me of the gradian, or incline of the roads;
Kinda like how riding takes even more attention to the road and its aspects. Of course that was when I was begining to drive; now, I suppose everyhting has become a second nature to me and it's all mashed together on driver autopilot sometimes.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
I agree. The GTO looked like a fleet rental vehicle. The Holden Manaro looked a little better. Pontiac put 15 scoops on their last Trans Am, seems like they could find a few left over in the parts bin for the GTO.

It is getting harder and harder to find a decent car with a standard transmission these days. I don't care how fantastic modern auto/manual tiptronic 14 speed paddle shift transmissions are these days, I still want a stick with a direct connection to the transmission. It took me several months to find the right one in my S4.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,896 Posts
I would never buy a car (or much of anything) made in Mexico. They are notorious for poor manufacturing. I used to have a 2000 audi A4, my friend a 2000 VW jetta. Both built on the same platform, designed by the same company, etc.... Mine was the nicest car I've ever owned. In the first year he had the driver's side window fall off the track and break, the driver's side door sagged, MAF sensor failed, tracks for the power seats squealed, mirrors wouldn't adjust, tires wore uneven. It was almost comical.

The difference? My A4 was manufactured in ingolstadt, his jetta near mexico city.
Yeah, I guess that VW took workers from the Puebla plant to Wolfsburg so the German built GTIs could have the exact same problems as the Mexican built Jettas...

Oh, and some more to Brazil, as all the MKIV-non GTI Golfs were manufactured there...

How come? One of the few US Manufactured parts on the truck is broken?

FYI, the Hydra-Matic 6L80 on your friend's truck was manufacutred at Ypsilanti, Michigan.

Source:

http://www.media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/2007/Whats%20New/07_MYC.doc

Maybe I got lost, I thought that this was SportBikes Net, not RacistNet.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts

Interestingly enough, my uncle works at a VW dealership. When someone is looking at a specific model car, he'll always point them towards the one made in Germany, rather than Mexico (as an example, the passat is made in both countries). Your experiences with cars built in different countries reflect his experiences with people taking their cars back to the shop. Maybe that's one of the reason he sells more VW's than anyone else in the region (and he doesn't do online sales, which normally greatly outsell the normal dealer).

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd say the best example of this is the latest Ponitac GTO. The thing is called a GTO, has a vette engine, but looks like a dodge neon! I talked to a pontiac salesman and he said they had such a hard time selling them, they had to put hood scoops and body kits on htem to get them off the floor, because people came in there adn thought they were little sport compacts.

I guess in Australia that is how muscle cars look or something. But yeah, I think GM can learn a little from Holden, Opel, and other companies they own, that make more than one car with a manual transmission. I hate how either Americans are too lazy to apply a little more attention when driving that a stick gives you; or how manufacturers simply take us for a lazy Americans who just want to drive with our cell phones and eat cereal on the road.

I believe its a reason for so many car crashes. When I first started driving stick, I paid way more attention to the road, than anything else, and it created another awareness for me of the gradian, or incline of the roads;
Kinda like how riding takes even more attention to the road and its aspects. Of course that was when I was begining to drive; now, I suppose everyhting has become a second nature to me and it's all mashed together on driver autopilot sometimes.
Yep, they're just lazy and or uninspired, which neither can work in the automotive industry. I'm a big fan of Ford, never much liked any of the other American motor companies, although I'll tell you I do love corvettes, the corvette and mustang are actual sports cars :cheers

You wanna read something fucked up? lol

My buddy has a VW Jetta Wolfsburg edition, yes, that is named after the Wolfsburg plant in Germany, guess where it's made ... yep, Mexico, sad huh?

Oh and on the subject of automatic transmissions and such, I first off can't stand them and its, like JK said, nearly impossible to find a decent car with a true manual transmission.

I grew up learning how to drive in a true roadster, a '95 Mazda Miata (or simply Roadster as they're known in Japan) that car was such a beautiful thing, stiff rough suspension, loud convertible top, short ass gearing, the transmission was great in that car, it was so precise it was like it had an H-shifter! damn good car!! I'd kill to have another one :(

And yes driving an automobile equipped with a manual transmission keeps you more alert, I agree 100%

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,896 Posts
Interestingly enough, my uncle works at a VW dealership. When someone is looking at a specific model car, he'll always point them towards the one made in Germany, rather than Mexico (as an example, the passat is made in both countries). Your experiences with cars built in different countries reflect his experiences with people taking their cars back to the shop. Maybe that's one of the reason he sells more VW's than anyone else in the region (and he doesn't do online sales, which normally greatly outsell the normal dealer).

The Passat is now built in Mexico? Wow, someone should tell VW of Mexico.

Conoce Nuestra Planta > Volkswagen de México > Empresa > Volkswagen México.

It's in Spanish, and I know you won't degrade yourself as much as to try to understand such an inferior language, but maybe this picture won't be offensive to your superiority:

By the way, "Bora" is the MKV Jetta.

Attachments

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I bet dora the explorer drives a bora.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts