Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its rained here for almost a week. Finally got some decent sun up here! :banana

Here's some observations and maybe we can get some comments on this. It seems like everyone and their uncle has an R6 or R1 up here. Not many Gixxers or CBRs. Secondly, I noticed a lot of riders wearing nothing more than a T-shirt and shorts, no gloves, in sneakers. Probably only wearing a helmet because they have to.

Question: Why don't riders purchase/use gear. I've heard a few people mention something about the heat and how gear isn't comfortable in 80 plus weather... IMO sweat is easier to wipe off then rash.

I always ride with my helmet, jacket, gloves and boots. On long/weekend/colder weather trips, I use my leather pants. I don't see reason not to. Is it a "cool" thing not to wear proper gear or something?

·
Registered
209 Posts
its just the opposite down hear..everyone has a late 90's gsxr, not many r1,r6. i thought it was cool to wear gear. makes you look like a racer and racers know what theyre doing :) but really, i think they dont wear theyre gear because it takes too long to suit up..most ppl are lazy including myself (i wear gear tho)

·
Registered
496 Posts
aaronk said:
Who gives a shit?
If that's not a squid talking I don't know what is!

I hear ya Mike, I'm in CT so I've been dealing with the same weather, and yes the squids are out in full force. I was out yesterday all day, I must have seen at least 9 or 10 guys ridin around mostly on Gixxer 1k's and Busa's, wearing nothing more than sunglasses a t-shirt and shorts! Like you said kid sweat is easier to wipe off than road rash.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yep, for some reason those guys think it makes them "cooler" to not wear gear. I guess they think that they're more badass because they can take the pain of road rash and all that, even though you know they'd be crying for their mom if they ever got in a real accident.

Honestly I think people that don't wear gear are idiots. I'd rather be sweating in 90+ degree weather than taking a chance of having gravel ground into my skin. Especially with how people drive down here, you're much more likely to get hit by some mom on their cell phone in their minivan than anything else. I always wear my gear, every time, no matter if I'm going 100ft or 100 miles.

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
The cool thing to do around here is put the helmet in helmet lock on the side of the bike and ride around in jeans and t-shirts. A ball cap on backwards and sunglasses are also a must.

Also, when at stop lights, keep revving the shit out of the bike. It impresses girls.

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
TRocket said:
its just the opposite down hear..everyone has a late 90's gsxr, not many r1,r6. i thought it was cool to wear gear. makes you look like a racer and racers know what theyre doing :) but really, i think they dont wear theyre gear because it takes too long to suit up..most ppl are lazy including myself (i wear gear tho)
See, THAT is what i always thought! That is why I love to see man geared up from head to foot matching his bike, that is sexy as HELL to me...not running around displaying your skinny legs and bony back in the breeze. Nobody wants to see all that.

Probly the only lapse i can understand is not wearing the pants. But everything else? Come ON I see nothing BUT gear-less men riding around in Tallahassee, it seems like! The older bikers seem to have more sense, but the young ones around Tennessee and Pensacola street, or even out by where I live, AND the Harley riders...not a stitch...as pretty as gear looks i don't understand why they wouldn't want to wear it...and helmets...

·
Registered
528 Posts
Yep, I seen 1 on a scooter and several on motorcycles without gear in shorts and t-shirt. The guy on the scooter was the stupidest though...Riding around town the other day and this guy on this scooter cuts in front of the oncoming traffic to make a left into a parking lot. The cement part going into the parking lot has a little bit of a incline to it which he jumps, trying to be cool I guess, then he yanks his helmet off and throws it behind him while still driving.

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
2001FZ1 said:
The cool thing to do around here is put the helmet in helmet lock on the side of the bike and ride around in jeans and t-shirts. A ball cap on backwards and sunglasses are also a must.

Also, when at stop lights, keep revving the shit out of the bike. It impresses girls.
***DIES***

This post is killing me with laugh over here... :D

·
Fitshaced
1,888 Posts
Hardly anyone I see wears gear around here. No helmet law either.

I do see a lot of guys wearing gloves and a jacket then they have there helmet strapped to the back of the bike. Probably because you're required to wear a helmet if you only have your temp permit and if you get pulled over without one they will tow the bike.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I'll tell you that the population of bikes in general has tripled since it has gotten warmer here in Texas. I ride year round and in December I am mostly on my own.....then comes the warmer weather and everyone is on a bike. Whats funny is it doesn't get that cold to begin with. Then all the bikers are wearing tshirts jeans maybe a helmet.

·
Registered
138 Posts
2001FZ1 said:

How true is that shit man. I can't believe it when I see someone with the helmet on the bike and they're cruising around with their sunglass's. Why even bring the damn helmet for.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Mattz said:
How true is that shit man. I can't believe it when I see someone with the helmet on the bike and they're cruising around with their sunglass's. Why even bring the damn helmet for.
its for the "butherface's" you pick up... works just as good as a paper bag :egrin

·
Registered
5,025 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
We had some record heat here in Washington State the last couple days. Temps were up in the 90s up from the usual 60s, and I looked at every rider I saw.

I think I saw maybe 50 riders that day, and maybe only 2 of them had any type of gear on.

But.....when it cools down again, I bet that I will see plenty of jackets again because people don't want to be cold.

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
aaronk said:
Who gives a shit?
:ar

Its about time we got some good weather up here. They said this has been the worst may since some time in the 1800's :lol We only had 2 days of sun all month! It's been a shitty winter and a crappy spring.....summer better make up for it :D.

I was out yesterday and saw a shit load of bikes. I went down to RI to meet a couple friends and almost everyone i saw was crusing around without a helmet and in shorts and a t-shirt. It dosn't bother me what other people do though, as long as it dosn't affect me in any way. If i know them i'll ask and tell em why i wear gear but as long as they don't ride like a complete ass and acting like a squid then they can wear whatever they want and i will still ride with them. Not wearing gear dosn't nessecarily (sp?) mean your a squid. Most of the time it's just a lack of information. They don't realize what can happen without it.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ThRotLJnKy said:
If that's not a squid talking I don't know what is!

I hear ya Mike, I'm in CT so I've been dealing with the same weather, and yes the squids are out in full force. I was out yesterday all day, I must have seen at least 9 or 10 guys ridin around mostly on Gixxer 1k's and Busa's, wearing nothing more than sunglasses a t-shirt and shorts! Like you said kid sweat is easier to wipe off than road rash.
It just bothers me, seems like nobody gives a hoot out here about what happens to them. What's even more annoying is that for the few times I've ridden with friends and friends of friends, they're talking trash about the fact that I'm wearing gear!

Yeah, actually being made fun of because I'm wearing full gear, head to toe. Excuse me, but if I go down, I want to know that I have some protection. That's what pisses me off the most. Being poked fun of because I want to save my hide in case something happens. Idiots. :rolleyes

·
Registered
24 Posts
Keep putting the gear on. It's the best protection you can have. besides, you always wanna dress for the wreck, not the ride!

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
Me, I bought my gear so that I could always wear it, but never USE it. Murphy is funny like that. I know lots of people who have gone down "that one time they didn't wear their gear."

Besides that, the gear affects how your body moves. You get used to that, and then riding sans gear is different--you won't make the same, precise movements you usually do with gear ON. This is why being in the habit of riding without gear is also bad--your habits will have to change, and if you have to make them change on a public road, that's dangerous.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts