Sport Bikes banner

3141 - 3144 of 3144 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
I was out today. Made sure it was between 2:30 and 3:30 (state police shift change)>:). Just as I was leaving Slatington I had a kid in a tuner car in front of me try to play, He lost it in the first turn but luckily saved it after a couple of good fish tails:nanapop. I went around him and didn't see him again. Bike is running good and I'm ready.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
The 5W40 synth is rated for the 15w40 weight engines. IE, they don't carry the 15w40 synth anymore, or as far as I have read into it. Either way, I just feel better having the synth in a high performace engine, and the 15w40 only cost 8 bucks :)

Wish you had your bike down your way, I'd ride down so we could ride around and chill. Get my buddy To tag along as well. Either way, when school's up we need to work on my front forks, I also got some stuff to buff and polish the plastics on the bikes.
'plain about OIL. Organic Industrial Lubricants basically come in 30 wgt. Or what is a better way to say it is that the refinery puts out 30 wgt as part of the cracking process. To get multi weight OIL, additives are added. So 5W-30 is 30 wgt with additives added to get it down to 5W. 10W40 has additives that get it to 10 and 40. The weights are not really indicative of specific gravity or actual fluid wgt but come closer to matching temperature grades. The whole wgt system is left over from the 18th or 19th century. It was not called oil back then. I can't remember what is was called but OIL was coined in the early 19th century.
The OIL industry has not changed the wgt system because that would require money, which would reduce profits.
Synthetics are not really suitable to the old measurement system. The additives used to adjust the wgt of old OIL are synthetics. Synthetics were invented by the US military to keep jet turbines running at 40,000+ feet. The guys at Standard kept adding additives until they said 'fook it, drop the OIL and go 100% additive'. That worked. Amsol was the first to sell to the public. I use Rotella. T5 in my truck and T6 in my bike. When I had the valves done in 2015, the mechanics said they looked like new at 22,000 miles.
Not sure how synthetics would work with Kevlar clutch plates. That appears to be the trend around here. Not sure why and plan on waiting for the next trend but....if you just gotta have Kevlar clutch plates, ask the refinery about it.:chef

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Shit!! It's has been many years since those good old days! No more crotch rocket. Now I ride a street glide, an R100s and a bobbed out R100rt. I feel the itch though so hopefully next season I'll have another sport bike
I'm 65 and found something that helps;
https://spieglerusa.com/handlebar-conversion-kit-4271.htm
This kit will give you the 'sit up and beg' riding position found on most cruiser bikes. Any local machine shop can turn out extensions to lower the rear sets fairly cheaply.

Then you will have a 'commuter bike'. The new bars come with SS brake lines and between the better leverage and better forward vision and braking control, you will be able to run away from the stock crotch rocket.
On the street, 'clip ons' are not just dangerous but stoooopid. But That is what the late teen, early 20 something buyer wants. Enough old geezers on commuter bikes school them and maybe they will figure it out. At worst it will keep them alive a little longer.
For rear sets ride around the industrial section of wherever you live. Look for bikes parked out front. Then go in and tell them what you are doing. I just got done with an '08 600 RR. Got the rear sets for free sorta. Barter. The machinist rides a 'busa. He couldn't believe that I was waxing his a$$ with a 600 Honda. Said it was embarrassing. So I taught him how to launch a motorcycle. Now nobody can beat him off the line. I sold the Honda the day the rear sets were finished. Got my eye on a K6 now. Bars, pegs, 520 kit, ditch the can and maybe some carbon fiber wheels. Not sure 'bout that. No experience with carbon fiber wheels. Supposed to chop about 40 pounds off the unsprung weight.:sodapop

The point is to get sport bike performance with cruiser comfort.

Reactions: Twinsfan23
3141 - 3144 of 3144 Posts