Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I just bought my first bike and am super stoked! Picked up a 2013 Ninja 300 with 700 miles on it for $3500. Right now I'm looking at gear options and wanted to get your guys' opinions. i'll just list what I've got in my cart and see what you guys think:

Helmet: Scorpion EXO-T1200 Freeway Helmet
Jacket: TOUR MASTER - SONORA AIR JACKET
Gloves: Icon-Pursuit Perforated OR AGV Spot-Mayhem Short
Shoes: Speed and Strength-Moment of Truth Shoes

I have the black and white model and like to color coordinate (being the nerd I am).

I also like the idea of a Bluetooth helmet but want to make sure I go the best route if I were to get one. Is it best to get a helmet with built in Bluetooth such as the Torc helmet? Or is it better to buy a kit with a Bluetooth ready helmet? I'd also just like to get your opinions on Bluetooth helmets and quality in general (sound, comfort, convenience, etc)

Any tips and do's or don'ts are greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
18,633 Posts
1st - Congrats. You picked an awesome bike.

Now gear.
--helmet choice OK
--get a leather jacket. No exceptions
--get gauntlet style gloves. No exceptions
--get boots that cover your ankles. No exceptions

You can find all of these things cheap/on sale if you do a little research.

Try the link below and always look at the "hot deals".

Motorcycle Closeouts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see. Thanks for the responses!

So what about the Aplpinestars GPR leather jacket?

And I'm guessing the "boots" I mentioned don't qualify as over the ankle, so is there a brand or style that you would recommend? I will be using the bike for a lot of commuting and would like to be able to wear both the jacket and boots all day if needed.

Thanks again guys

·
Super Moderator
18,633 Posts
So what about the Aplpinestars GPR leather jacket?

And I'm guessing the "boots" I mentioned don't qualify as over the ankle, so is there a brand or style that you would recommend? I will be using the bike for a lot of commuting and would like to be able to wear both the jacket and boots all day if needed.
Heres the thing. As a new motorcycle rider, the chances of you crashing within your first 6 months of riding is extremely high (even if it's just dropping the bike in a parking lot). So most will recommend that you get Good, protective gear. Which is why I made my suggestions.

There is just no substitute for leather should you fall. Mesh and textile and Gortex will shred like toilet paper, thus leaving you with road rash that will be painful and leave a nice scar for a lifetime. And you may think it'll be too hot, you'd be surprised at his bearable it is.

Same with your ankles. You do not want to ever have to re-learn to walk just because you didn't have good coverage on your lower legs.

And these products will last you a very, very long time. So, spend a couple more dollars in the beginning and I promise it'll be worth every penny :fiddy

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
While leather pants would be ideal, if you never wear them they're useless. I usually wear textile pants, they held up well thru a few crashes but I'm not very heavy. And if you refuse to wear anything other than jeans like a lot of idiots, at least get some Kevlar reinforced jeans with armor. Still not as good as textile pants tho

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea I've been thinking about the reinforced jeans, I think I will get some textile eventually. I DO understand the importance of safety but want to get gear I can get to school in safely and do minimum changing. I'd like to be able to wear the jacket and boots. I can slip the pants off I suppose and put them in my backpack. I don't mind spending close to a grand but that's all I was hoping to spend on gear.. Question: What are some of the tried and true brand names out there in the street bike gear community? I'd don't want to go cheap so I'd rather spend the money and look, feel, and be protected well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again everyone. Based on the research I did the 300 was a good first bike choice as it provides minimum access to trouble... Which I probably need..:nono

·
Registered
213 Posts
There is just no substitute for leather should you fall. Mesh and textile and Gortex will shred like toilet paper, thus leaving you with road rash that will be painful and leave a nice scar for a lifetime.
I don't agree entirely. Leather is the best, but textile (not mesh) will offer some real protection. But unlike leather, it might be good for only one skid and that's it. The fabric will be worn down pretty bad in a real slide, but that's preferable to having your flesh worn down.

For street riding I have a perforated leather jacket for warm weather, and an Aerostich Darien textile jacket for cold. Textile overpants with hip and knee armor year round. And don't skimp on gloves and boots. Your hands and feet will hit first in an off, have lots of small, delicate bones, and are important in daily life. Protect them.

If you're trying to save money you can often find good used gear on craigslist or ebay from someone who gained weight, or wants to get rid of gear that doesn't match his new bike's colors, etc. Helmet needs to be new, though.

·
Short Yellow bus rider
223 Posts
I don't agree entirely. Leather is the best, but textile (not mesh) will offer some real protection. But unlike leather, it might be good for only one skid and that's it. The fabric will be worn down pretty bad in a real slide, but that's preferable to having your flesh worn down.

For street riding I have a perforated leather jacket for warm weather, and an Aerostich Darien textile jacket for cold. Textile overpants with hip and knee armor year round. And don't skimp on gloves and boots. Your hands and feet will hit first in an off, have lots of small, delicate bones, and are important in daily life. Protect them.

If you're trying to save money you can often find good used gear on craigslist or ebay from someone who gained weight, or wants to get rid of gear that doesn't match his new bike's colors, etc. Helmet needs to be new, though.
Textile is crap. And loose textile pants will leave your knees unprotected.
I learned all this on my own: Wasn't even a classic slide, but a flight-over the hood of the car that pulled out of driveway and promptly stopped in my path...

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Textile is crap. And loose textile pants will leave your knees unprotected.
I learned all this on my own: Wasn't even a classic slide, but a flight-over the hood of the car that pulled out of driveway and promptly stopped in my path...
My loose textile pants had one dime size hole after a 25 mph slide, another dime size hole after a 20 mph slide (plus a broken pocket zipper) and then a 5 inch tear and a few more small holes after a 30 mph slide. Not a bit of rash from any of the spills. I think it was $200 well spent. But once again, I'm light, about 140, so your (fatass) miles may vary

·
Short Yellow bus rider
223 Posts
My loose textile pants had one dime size hole after a 25 mph slide, another dime size hole after a 20 mph slide (plus a broken pocket zipper) and then a 5 inch tear and a few more small holes after a 30 mph slide. Not a bit of rash from any of the spills. I think it was $200 well spent. But once again, I'm light, about 140, so your (fatass) miles may vary
At that speed, were you on rollerblades?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Wow why do you wreck so much?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts