·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm bout half way through:

And Then all Hell Broke Loose, Two Decades in the Middle East by Richard Engel

A review of the US adventures in the mid east. Shows how little our politicians and leaders know about that part of the world.

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
I'm bout half way through:

And Then all Hell Broke Loose, Two Decades in the Middle East by Richard Engel

A review of the US adventures in the mid east. Shows how little our politicians and leaders know about that part of the world.
Engel is just about the best reporter we have in the Middle East. I really worry for him. He takes a lot of chances to get a story. He's also fluent in Arabic which is an enormous advantage.

The thing is, that our pols and even the State Department is oblivious to the sensitivities of the Muslim world even though the United States has some kind of involvement with that world since the very beginnings of the republic. Jefferson fought the Barbary pirates which were attacking American shipping in the Mediterranean with our tiny little navy's seaborn soldiers which came to known as The United States Marine Corps ("...to the shores of Tripoli"). And he won. We've been in the ME ever since, in one form or another: as missionaries, as diplomats, as an ally of one power or another.

You'd think that by now we'd have learned something.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
twink isn't a 22 year old. He's a 53 year old living in his mom's basement with his Tonka toy. Nebraska is a fine place to live in mom's basement, especially if you can't hold a job in the private sector. He thinks it's Texas, but then he's wrong about everything, so why should location be any different?

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
twink isn't a 22 year old. He's a 53 year old living in his mom's basement with his Tonka toy. Nebraska is a fine place to live in mom's basement, especially if you can't hold a job in the private sector. He thinks it's Texas, but then he's wrong about everything, so why should location be any different?
:eek:nfloor

Brutal!

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Right now I am spending more time with the Publication 17 than any other reading material

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Wow. You really CAN'T get anything right. LMAO

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
:eek:nfloor

Brutal!
Fly, are you still going around telling people you served in the Navy? How many times have you lied about that, Bob? Not much lower than lying about military service that never happened.

We call it stolen valor. Look it up. Even at your advanced age it is not too late to start telling the truth.

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
Pretty f'ing bleak. Best paragraph:

Milo shows no remorse for the avalanche of misconduct he helped direct towards Leslie Jones, who is just the latest victim of the recreational ritual abuse he likes to launch at women and minorities for the fame and fun of it. According to the law of the wild web, the spoils go to those with fewest fucks to give. I have come to believe, in the course of our bizarro unfriendship, that Milo believes in almost nothing concrete—not even in free speech. The same is reportedly true of Trump, of people like Ann Coulter, of Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage: They are pure antagonists unencumbered by any conviction apart from their personal entitlement to raw power and stacks of cash.
Yes, the internet has given a voice to people who would otherwise be yammering on a streetcorner in Skid Row. People like Milo Yiannopoulos have always been around. The writer is right: They will flame out but not before leaving a big, stinking, pile of feces on the body politick.

The tone of the piece is really dark. Somehow, I'm hopeful that people who really count will just wake up and smell the coffee. I refuse to believe that the rise of Trumpism can't be corrected by some mechanical means.

This whole ordeal will be talked about for as many years as we've been talking about Joseph McCarthy. It took two or three generations for this all to repeat itself. An empty Armani suit is still an empty suit.

Thanks.

·
Registered
402 Posts
1 - 20 of 91 Posts