Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i realized this reply on another thread would've hijacked it so decided to start my own on this topic......

because it's the american way, man! lol....we just get that warm fuzzy feeling...our brain suffers from a lack of oxygen & stops working for just a little bit and BAHM! we're hooked and bringing that sucker to the house...woohoo...

i already lowsided my brandspankin new 7k bike...only made 1...count em 1 payment on that f*cker...but its mine...i can do that...some ppl, like me are just that way...i wanted to know mine was the first ass that ever touched the seat...and i knew i'd probably drop that bitch...and it would suck...but so what..it's all fixable...its my bike, my money...and so what if i'll be riding around with some blemishes for a little while...(a used bike is going to have em too)

my hubby is enlisted military...and while we are on a pretty tight budget here...some folks aren't....who cares what others do with their money...it's theirs...i didn't want to ride someone elses POS that who knows what is wrong with it...i'm no friggin mechanic...lol...besides...a lot of dealerships have financing available that you can hardly say no to...

i for one am GLAD i didn't buy a used bike...now, please don't flame me...i'm not talking engine size here...just strictly used vs. new....

some of our parents just spoiled us a little too much..lol..and gave in to our demands and wishes a few too many times...and now in our adult lives...we want what we want....and we just simply don't care that it's not the most practical thing to do....

it all boils down to this...we were all raised differently with different outlooks on how/when/where/and what to spend our money on...some ppl think credit is the devil...some use credit like they use oxygen! some save....some don't...it's all just different strokes for different folks...

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I think it is just to say "I have an 05 [insert bike here]" and it just feels good. It is yours, you got it with 0 miles on the odo, and it is just yours and all yours. No one else rode it, dropped it, and every first you have is with your new bike. Thats my 2 cents

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brownilus said:
same reason men get that feeling when they are a woman's first.

there is nothing like being the first.

bwaaahaaa :lol that there is funny!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
i respect your opinion, however, my opinion is that who ever buys cars or motorcycles brand new is a sucker.....you can save 20-30% after just 1 year

no offense ;)

·
Registered
912 Posts
mIchELe said:
some of our parents just spoiled us a little too much..lol..and gave in to our demands and wishes a few too many times...and now in our adult lives...we want what we want....and we just simply don't care that it's not the most practical thing to do....
My spending habits are the way they are for exactly the opposite reason. When I was growing up we lived on food stamps and $163 a month from the government. Rent was paid by them too, as well as most of the utilities. So, now that I'm all grown up and make good money I spend it on what I want, when I want, because I had to go without the things I wanted for my entire life.

Yes, I bought a brand new bike for my first, so what... I don't live with the attitude of, "Oh, I might drop it so I better not buy a nice shiny one." So what if I damage it, it's just STUFF. Besides, I'm a strong believer in the idea that if you think something bad is gonna happen to you, it probably is.

·
Crunnnnnnnnnnnnchy
3,067 Posts
Nahh...i bought the 05 because of the current financing special... but mang...to say 2005 gsxr 750....WATCH OUT...

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I guess you want us to all say, hey it was smart wrecking a brand new bike? Sorry, not me. Waste your money if you want to. But most people would be much better served by learning on a used bike if not a beater, even if it's not cool. I'd be very unhappy to drop a new bike.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I've bought both new and used.

Got my '04 Volusia brand-new, because it was my first bike and I didn't know any better.

Got my wife's Vulcan 500 (her first bike) used, because I *did* know better.

Got my '02 ZZR1200 used because I was in the right place at the right time to get a helluva deal. Almost half the cost of a new '05, low miles. Totally no point in getting a new one.

Got my wife's '05 YZF600R brand-new because we couldn't find a deal on a used one, got a good deal on it new, and was impatient.

·
Registered
912 Posts
f2benny said:
I guess you want us to all say, hey it was smart wrecking a brand new bike?
No, what we're saying is that we don't want you to say anything at all... It's our money, we'll spend it how we like. You can keep your comments about how stupid we are for buying new to yourself because frankly, those of us who bought new could care less. :)

·
Registered
501 Posts
well, buying a new bike as your first bike is not a good way to go. the way I think about it is, before you start riding, all you have to go on is what is in the magazines and what other people say, but you dont REALLY know what riding a bike feels like, so how do you know which bike to buy that will suit you?

I'd say buy something used to help you get aquainted with the controls and what the bike can do and ride it for a year or two. then you will know better what type of bike you want to buy because by then you will have an idea of what kind of bike is needed for your style of riding.

this way you get to move on to a second bike sooner and you are not stuck with something that doesn't fit your style.

also, new riders with new bikes seem to pussyfoot around because they are afraid of damaging a bike. with used, you can thrash it and push the envelope and not care about it.

but if you have the money to keep buying new bikes and trading up, then go for it! I just don't like seeing newbies with new bikes that are afraid of the thing, it just shows they made a stupid decision.

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
From the other side of the fence:

I wanted something new and nice with no suprises and a factory warranty if there were big problems. I had plenty of dough both to buy the bike and fix it if I wrecked it. I certainly didn't hold back from riding the bike like it should be, unless triple digits in the sweepers is holding back.

After a season and a half I decided I wanted more low end and more comfort so I got rid of the 600rr and got my VFR. Sure, the dealer made some $$ off me, but its my money and I don't regret spending it for things I enjoy.

·
Registered
436 Posts
if you have money then y not......i got mine new at a used price (only had 300 miles on it when i bought it)

So even though i did not have it from the dealership (i saved some $$) It still was brand new and i had to brake it in. I think i would search for used again, but if you can't find a clean used then go new.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
If I had money hanging out my butt - sure, I'd go buy a new bike today.

But I don't. So I won't.

I bought used because
1) That's what I could afford.
2) I HATE the insane depreciation when you pull off the lot in something new.
3) Its my first bike and I won't feel as bad when shit happens.
* it would cost me the same to fix a new bike as a used bike - I just won't cry myself to sleep at night on my huge pillow for scratching up a used bike.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Generally, I'm not interested in used sport bikes because I know how most people treat them. My first bike was new because I'm not mechanically inclined and didn't want a beater bike that was going to require lots of maintenance.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts