Sport Bikes banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently starting riding again, in the reasonable weekend warrior style rather than as a daily driver.
Last week I got somewhere early and decided to practice some figure 8s on my Duke 390.
I quickly realized that "I Used To Ride" does NOT equal "I Can Ride Well".
I was scared as hell.
I kept wanting to chop the throttle.
I kept wanting to pull in the clutch.
I was terrified to go above 5mph, so I went SLOWER, which significantly made it more difficult for me.
My figure 8s were way wider than I wanted them to be.
For the life of me I could not even get CLOSE to full lock, hell, I could barely even lean the bike over.

So I have unlocked a new quest within my brain:
Quest for Full Lock Figure 8s.

I will update here as I make progress, until I complete the quest.
My hope is that, if I complete the quest, it will help urge someone else out there to achieve the same thing.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: Nov 20th, 2021
Spent some time behind a grocery store doing figure 8s.
I feel way less comfortable making right hand u-turns.
I focused on gripping the tank with my legs as i quickly noticed it vastly improves steering control.
I noted some things that have been pointed out countless times in the forum:
More revs + less clutch = win.
Steering with head still works.
"I'm falling!" + Clutch out = save.

Overall i now feel a little more comfortable at tighter slow speed maneuvers but am far from full lock figure 8s still. I can do tighter figure 8s.
Slowing things down in my head made a big difference, which means i need more muscle memory so that my brain can slow down further and focus. I need to cut some tennis balls in half.

Will update again next time i practice.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPDTE: Nov 23rd, 2021
I work from home and spent part of my lunch behind the local grocery store getting some u-turn and figure 8 reps in.
My u-turns are getting tighter.
I still haven't done a full figure 8 at full lock.
I think the only thing preventing me from it is the fact that full lock seems like such a drastic angle on the Duke 390.
It almost feels like I'll low speed high side myself. So it's definitely just mental.
I am not looking through the turn enough with just a head check.
I practiced turning almost my entire body to look BEHIND me and that tightened my circles up. Feels weird and counter-productive.
Overall I feel more comfortable but man...maybe I should try some u-turns-from-full-lock drills.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE: Dec 9th, 2021
I've been taking a break to do one or two figure 8's and u-turns in a parking lot on the way from home on the bike, once to twice per week.
I've noted that I am intentionally slowing down more than I need to, to complete the turn I'm doing.
Like, I'm slowing down to 5mph when I can do it at 7mph easily, it just happens faster.
On that note, I am feeling more comfortable in general with the slow speed maneuvering.
I have not yet intentionally done a full-lock turn on the duke 390 yet.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: Dec 15th, 2021
Did some 360's and figure 8's in parking lot on way home last night.
Started doing progressively smaller circles over and over and got to full lock.
At full lock, this bike turns almost within the width lines of a parking space.

I now want to practice in empty, marked parking spaces.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts