Sport Bikes banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently starting riding again, in the reasonable weekend warrior style rather than as a daily driver.
Last week I got somewhere early and decided to practice some figure 8s on my Duke 390.
I quickly realized that "I Used To Ride" does NOT equal "I Can Ride Well".
I was scared as hell.
I kept wanting to chop the throttle.
I kept wanting to pull in the clutch.
I was terrified to go above 5mph, so I went SLOWER, which significantly made it more difficult for me.
My figure 8s were way wider than I wanted them to be.
For the life of me I could not even get CLOSE to full lock, hell, I could barely even lean the bike over.

So I have unlocked a new quest within my brain:
Quest for Full Lock Figure 8s.

I will update here as I make progress, until I complete the quest.
My hope is that, if I complete the quest, it will help urge someone else out there to achieve the same thing.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: Nov 20th, 2021
Spent some time behind a grocery store doing figure 8s.
I feel way less comfortable making right hand u-turns.
I focused on gripping the tank with my legs as i quickly noticed it vastly improves steering control.
I noted some things that have been pointed out countless times in the forum:
More revs + less clutch = win.
Steering with head still works.
"I'm falling!" + Clutch out = save.

Overall i now feel a little more comfortable at tighter slow speed maneuvers but am far from full lock figure 8s still. I can do tighter figure 8s.
Slowing things down in my head made a big difference, which means i need more muscle memory so that my brain can slow down further and focus. I need to cut some tennis balls in half.

Will update again next time i practice.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPDTE: Nov 23rd, 2021
I work from home and spent part of my lunch behind the local grocery store getting some u-turn and figure 8 reps in.
My u-turns are getting tighter.
I still haven't done a full figure 8 at full lock.
I think the only thing preventing me from it is the fact that full lock seems like such a drastic angle on the Duke 390.
It almost feels like I'll low speed high side myself. So it's definitely just mental.
I am not looking through the turn enough with just a head check.
I practiced turning almost my entire body to look BEHIND me and that tightened my circles up. Feels weird and counter-productive.
Overall I feel more comfortable but man...maybe I should try some u-turns-from-full-lock drills.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts