Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few of them for sale, the 650s mostly.

what are they like? I know they'll really be not much like the 675, obviously, but from a reliability standpoint, are they terribad?

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
I've seen a few of them for sale, the 650s mostly.

what are they like? I know they'll really be not much like the 675, obviously, but from a reliability standpoint, are they terribad?
They were reliable enough. Their big issue was that Triumph wasn't really good with I-4s, so they are down on power compared to the other 600s, that and the Sagen FI tends to be a pain in the ass. Once you get it right its fine, but its tricky to get it there.

They handle great, they just don't have a huge amount of poke

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am imagining it'd still be a step up form my F4i anyway.

one I found has this absolutely stellar union jack paintjob. looks factoryish. kinda like it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have an 04 600. Practically the exact same as the 650 just a smaller bore and minimal difference in tuning. You can read a lot of rider reviews on them. Most of them are pretty good. When Triumph came out with the 600 in 03 it smoked the crap out of all the other 4's on the track. It may lack a little bit in power compared to the other 4 companies, but it is very elegant in corner's. I haven't done any knee dragging, but there have been a couple of bumps and rock's I have hit while in mid corner that pushed the back tire sideways, and the bike just kept going like there was nothing there in the first place. One of the super plus side's that I have heard about the 600 and 650's is that I haven't heard of a single person or read for a matter of fact anyone that has had the bike start tank slappin for no reason. You can hop the front tire off the ground all tire and put it back down maxed out in any direction and the only thing you will get is roadrash on the tire from not following the tread. They do have some issues with the r/r's, but that is easily rectified from an aftermarket one.

AND THE SEAT. I have not felt a better seat on any sport bike I have ever sat on. I used to go to dealerships and test out the seats. When I went to check out the daytona I got I sat on the seat for 30 minutes with no problem. Then drove it 2 and a half hours back home with no numb butt. If you want to know anything else about them really just start reading all the reviews. It is a good choice of bike IMO

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Only "downside" is that they were not very popular. That means that parts availability, new and used, will suck. It also means that the little aftermarket there was has already dried out.

For example, you can get all sorts of used parts for a F4i on e-bay, all sorts of aftermarket parts like slip ons, levers, rearsets, even complete sets of fairings. Don't feel like checking the valves? Get another engine off ebay.

Try that with the Daytona.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Only "downside" is that they were not very popular. That means that parts availability, new and used, will suck. It also means that the little aftermarket there was has already dried out.

For example, you can get all sorts of used parts for a F4i on e-bay, all sorts of aftermarket parts like slip ons, levers, rearsets, even complete sets of fairings. Don't feel like checking the valves? Get another engine off ebay.

Try that with the Daytona.
This.

And I rode a friends Daytona 600. It gets a Meh rating from me. Not great, not bad.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fair enough guys. will take into consideration.

Found an 03 Sprint ST for 4 grand. Dunno how that price stacks up, or anything about the 955 mill, besides the fact that it's a triple.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The triple's are more tested and guaranteed compared to any of triumphs I4's. They have had time to knock out all the kinks. And it doesn't matter what kind of Triumph you get just make sure you take it to a Triumph dealer and have them check it out whether it is under warranty or not their customer service is there to help you.

It is true about the aftermarket selection not being so great with the 600's, believe me I have looked. Best thing I can do is take parts from a 650 or tt600 and put it on mine. The only reason they weren't popular in the states is because not a whole lot were sent there when they started making the 600's. Plus at the time Triumph was going out on a dangerous limb that almost made them bankrupt to try and find a new version to sell instead of improving on what they had. There are plenty of online site's that sell OEM part's, but they won't be cheaper. It will be cheaper than a Duccati for sure though. If you want to be different have have a collectable I would get the 650 you were looking at. Just make sure you replace as much as you can when you have the time and money to. I'm talking about all the things that are regular maintenance.

Not trying to sell the bike to you just trying to help you out with what I have experienced from mine.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the help man.

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
I had a S4 for years. Stone reliable and a great bike. Triumphs are all great bikes.

That being said, I would stick with the F4i unless you can get one of the Daytona 675 Triples. Now that is a wholly kick @ss bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts