Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
No Whammy No Whammy STOP!
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my phone died in one day from roaming while I was in Illinois all day Monday. So I finally got around to recharging it and checked out my Voicemails. BTW Todd, I may be interested in those tires. Anyways, I get a voice mail from Rob, the guy with the 636. He said if I wanted to make the trip tonight to get the bike, he will have it ready. So I make a mad dash to get some respectable cloths on (not my shitty cleaning clothes), throw the trailor on the back of the car, get all my tiedowns together and popchalk, and I hit thr road.

Mind you it is 8:30 PM and I have a 2 hour drive to get to the guys place in Chicago. So I felt a little sad that I didnt tell anyone about the impromptue Chicago run, I know Andy is always up for one. But I was in such a rush to get down there, I didnt have time to waste.

Needless to say, I get there around 10:15, strap the bike down, and head on home. I got back around 12:30, got her off the trailor and parked her next to the shiney bike, and man did it make the Kwaker look like shit.

So I took off the fairings, and it is just filthy. Mostly dust, like it hasnt been washed since it rolled off the showroom floor, but she will clean up pretty nicely. It will take a lot of time with a toothbrush though.

So far, no leaks from the engine, no dents, dings or any strange scratches on the frame or swingarm. Forks look all good, no leaks, bends or anything out of place. Rotors are straight and thick, brake fluid looks like coffee but that will all be changed when I put braided lines on it. Plastics are alright, good for race glass, but some cracks here and there, nothing like holes or anything. Tires will be getting replaced.

But one thing I have to say about Kawasaki is crappy build quality. The frame sounds wicked thin and very hollow. Tapping your knuckle on it is almost embarrasing compaired the Gixxer. The tank on the bike is mounted with a hinge under the seat and one bolt up front. Thats how its designed to be, so the tank shakes around with the engine instead of being solidy in place like every other manufacturer. Everything feels like its the bare minimun to survive.

Not like this is a bad bike at all, and I know they are trying to cut as much weight as possible, but come on, hack off that massive subframe and add it to the frame for more ridgity.

Anyways, Im sure its a competent bike, but I shouldnt compair it to my Gixxer. Two different manufacturers, two different classes of bike, though both are bread for the racetrack. So heres a crappy photo of the two in the garage with low light levels and very little detail.

Attachments

·
DT is happy it snowed
1,582 Posts
Very nice. So when you testing it out for the first time?

·
That's factory, yo!
3,666 Posts
Muahahah!

Excellent! Good work! Now... if you need someone to shake it down for you...

Andy, Tom, either of you guys going to Autobahn in a week-and-a-half?

·
DT is happy it snowed
1,582 Posts
Not sure yet. I would like to, but I have no idea what plans hold for me. I think the SAE mini-baja car competition might be that weekend in Ohio. I think I said I would go to that too. Bleh, who knows.

·
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Murf99 said:
Muahahah!

Excellent! Good work! Now... if you need someone to shake it down for you...

Andy, Tom, either of you guys going to Autobahn in a week-and-a-half?
The suspension will definately need a shakedown. It alreads has shims in the rear, but you guys would know better if they are doing the right thing or if its too much/little.

Bike wont be ready by the 11th. I wanted to go because thats my B-day, but its just not going to happen. I need to get tires, brake lines, check everything over, make sure its all good, then I can go to a track day with it. So maybe one towards the end of the month.

·
DT is happy it snowed
1,582 Posts
Cool. I bet you'll like it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey, did you roll through oconomowoc? I think I saw that bike on a trailer in oconomowoc real late. maybe not but whatever.. nice bike

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Do you have any better pictures of the bike?

·
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ill get some better ones tonight now thats its washed. I spent about 20 minutes last night removing the rave party of stick people on the tail. Still have everywhere else on the bike to remove them. At least they come off easy.

Edit: No, I was no where near Oconomowoc last night.

·
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, these are the slightest bit blurry because it was getting dark out and the shutter stayed open just that extra millisecond.

It only took my 3 hours yesterday and another 3 today to get her all cleaned up and stick-person free.

Took her for a ride with all the plastics on to see if there were any rattles. No rattles, but that suspension is so tight. Very strange bar feeling. Todd, I need your help.

So heres the new track machine.

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
I see plenty of places to zip-tie the flashlights on! You definately could've brought it to Don & Roy's. Still planning on bringing it out tuesday?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts