Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a 2001 RC-51 which I have had for a little less then a year and I love it!! Bought it with 7K, 2bros pipes, undertail, braided lines, & a hyperpro dampner. I just got a nail in the brand new rear tire. I have patched it and so far it is holding air, but I am concerned about high speeds, cornering and anything else that might happen. Anyone have any experience with this or any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bad Idea

I have heard of people running on a patched tire for miles and miles with no complaints. I think those people re crazy for even trying it!

Why risk your life over a $200 (for an expensive one) tire? Replace it and ride your bike hard like it was meant to be ridden without having to worry about the potential consequences.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I would replace the tire just to be on the safe side. I had to replace the rear tire on my 600rr two times recently due to screws, nails w/the rear tire having less than 100 miles on it the first time and around 500 miles on it the second time.

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
Depends on what type of patch and where on the tire the puncture is... and if you can trust whoever is going to patch it up for you. Mushroom patches are the only way I'll patch my tires.

Emergency 'auto' patches are good for when you're on the go, but that tire should be replaced whenever time and money allots.

·
2000 VTR1000 Superhawk
3,248 Posts
I rode with a plug in my back tire for approx. 100 miles on my GSXR600. Probably would have held longer, but it was driving me CRAZY! The entire time I was on the freeway or riding a little fast all I could think about was that stupid plug and how crazy it was that I didn't want to part with the money to buy a new tire........... my suggestion, buy a new tire ASAP.

·
2000 VTR1000 Superhawk
3,248 Posts
Oh by the way - Congrats on the bike!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
If you really want to hear a good one, a friend of mine has done 180+ mph on a patched Metz. M1 that he got off of ebay. IIRC, it was the front tire too! This was on an 03' ZX-12 by the way.

Personally, I wouldn't ride any sportbike with a patched tire if I didn't have to. Patching it to get home would be a different story, or if it was your only means of transportation and you were totally broke. If you've ever went down hard, you would laugh at the people that are risking it on a patched tire. Like jbsayers said, it is your life you are risking, or even worse, it could cause some innocent person, bystander or passenger, their life. I'd ride with a used tire but never a patched tire. My truck is a different story. I rarely exceed 60mph in it, and if one tire blows, I have 3 others supporting me.

I hope that someday I won't have to go to a closed casket funeral for my friend, or pick up his 12 with a broom and dustpan. At least he is running a new set of diablos now after getting another flat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, the patch got me to pay day...and now got a new tire. Just not worth the headache everytime I ride to think about it. Thanks for the advice, ride hard, ride long!

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
sollucho said:
Yeah, the patch got me to pay day...and now got a new tire. Just not worth the headache everytime I ride to think about it. Thanks for the advice, ride hard, ride long!
Good plan. I wouldn't trust my life on a patch. My life is certainly worth more than a $200 for tire plus mounting/balancing.

:dunno

1 - 9 of 9 Posts