Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Little love story about my past. I started out on a used 2000(?) Ninja 250, progressed to a used 2005 GSXR-600, bought a brand new 2008 R6. Then I settled down, sold the R6, had a child, and after a failed long relationship and I'm pretty ready to get riding again.

My problem comes in that I'm almost 27 now. I don't want "super sport" bike ergonomics, I want to be at least mildly comfortable, not laying my chest on the tank with wrists at 45 degree angles and such. I want all the power....and the beauty.

I was content with the power level of the R6 I had, I believe it was around 125hp, weight was low (sub 400 I believe?). And honestly I wouldn't want anything much less.

The only "Naked" options out there that look like they would be a comparable in performance, or better, are the Ducati Streetfighter 848 or the Triumph Speed Triple. Both with around 130ish horsepower, probably a lot more torque than the R6. The only problem is the price....13k is nothing to laugh at for what to me is essentially a hobby (can't take the baby or the dog on the road with it). The Yamaha FZ1 just does not float my boat and it appears like the power delivery is not what I'm looking for either.

Moving down the list to something with around 100hp there is the Yamaha FZ8 which intrigues me as well as the Triumph street triple.

If I didn't give a hoot about power I would be on the road right now to go pick a 696 Monster and be done with it. I'm all about light-weight and efficient, side note any triumph or ducati dealership is almost 2 hours away.

Any other options? Would I be happy with the 100ish pony bikes?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Your R6 maybe put out ~105hp to the wheel, ~45ftlb torque.
The 848 Streetfighter has about ~115hp and ~60ftlb to the wheel, but delivers it lower in RPM range.
But any of the other options you mentioned would also put the R6 to shame, aside from the 696 unless around town.
Modern nakeds are sweet as hell, you wont be disappointed with whatever you get.

·
Registered
743 Posts
How much time does your 600 spend above 12,000 rpms? Everywhere else one of the milder motors with more CCs will feel faster. Also, don't forget you can also slap dirt bike bars on a supersport. That is my plan for my next bike. A lot of the nakeds look awesome and sell for cheaper than the supersports... until you get to the used market. Where I live fully faired sport bikes are all over the place and very cheap while nakeds are fairly uncommon and usually command a premium. They're also often better cared for because people with brains buy em... but they also usually have a lot more miles for the same reasons.

Anyhow... as for wild nakeds... if you really want a wild naked... there is the Tuono V4. Its got liter bike super sport power levels, more torque, sounds like a beast... and gets the worst fuel mpg imaginable. Also maybe consider the KTM Superduke.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I was just speaking of crank numbers.

And also that is one thing I was hoping to change, the R6 felt like I had to rev it to Jupiter to really get going. It got there instantaneously don't get me wrong but there was nothing sub 10k. Disappointing in the fact I had to wind it out to tap into that awesomeness around 14k.

I am only considering show-room new 2012-2013 model years.

I just don't see how a bike with an 106hp can literally out-perform a lighter bike with 125hp. I'm wanting to avoid being disappointed when I crack it open :nanapop.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
I'd go for a Street Triple R, SF848, or Tuono if it was me. The STR is probably the best value in the nakeds at the moment. Personally, I like the 675 motor much more than the 1050 motor in the Speed Triple.

Plus, if you wanted the power of a supersport, you can swap in Daytona cams and gain more on the top end.

Advantage of the triple is that you have more torque in the normal operating ranges on the street without having to rev it but still have power at high revs. Not the best down low, not the best up high, but damn good all around. Not the best choice for everyone, but it fills a gap that I personally enjoy. My Daytona is tuned more towards the top end than street triples are, but the street is better on the road.

I've been drooling over a yellow 848sf since they came out. Very high on the list of next bikes along with the STR.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
...I just don't see how a bike with an 106hp can literally out-perform a lighter bike with 125hp. I'm wanting to avoid being disappointed when I crack it open :nanapop.
It's all in where that power gets delivered..
When I had an RC51, it made only near the same horsepower as my ZX6r, but about 25 more ft.lbs torque, and a lot lower in the RPM range.
Going between the two bikes, riding the ZX6R felt like a chore - in comparison.
Instant smiles with that torque.
You can get into a whole debate about whether a liter bike is better for the street because of the torque everywhere which is the opinion I've come to have.

HP = top speed
Torque = acceleration.

You wouldnt be disappointed with ANY of the choices you've been presented when cracking open the throttle. They all rock

·
Registered
2,274 Posts

Thats my naked nonsense machine , it was either that or an aprilia tuono , I rode both and went with the KTM as its just so wild and so crazy I had to have it .

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts

I just don't see how a bike with an 106hp can literally out-perform a lighter bike with 125hp. I'm wanting to avoid being disappointed when I crack it open :nanapop.
call you nearest ducati and triumph dealers, they may have a demo bike or two for you to sample.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Twins and triples give the power from near 0 , crack the throttle open on the superduke and you will be dissapointed ...as you will be sitting on the road on your ass watching the bike coming down to land on you .

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I got my 08 Aprilia Tuono with 5000 miles on it last summer in Boston for $7k cash out the door. Plenty of great deals to be had put there on the used market. I am super comfortable this bike, I can ride it all day. I'm actually about 130 miles from home right now eating ice cream, with my bike, and I have back problems but this bike doesn't bother me. I've never owned a super sport because I hate the ergos.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is KTM still even manufacturing the superduke? I can't find jack crap on their website.

I would love to demo these bikes and may get around to it, it's just the nearest dealers are damn near 2 hours away unless it's the big four.

Literally just looking at the numbers I have found left over 2012 Truono V4 R's for $11,900. That pretty much blows the Ducati Streetfighter 848 and the Speed Triple out of the water. That's just looking at the numbers though.

I just can't get behind the FZ1. If you put an FZ8 front end on it...maybe.

The Street Triple does seem like the best value, right around $9k give or take...or the FZ8 is even cheaper but the weight is kind of up there.

I guess I just need to decide if spending 9k for a 100hp bike is acceptable, or 12k for a 160hp is better.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Is KTM still even manufacturing the superduke? I can't find jack crap on their website.

I would love to demo these bikes and may get around to it, it's just the nearest dealers are damn near 2 hours away unless it's the big four.

Literally just looking at the numbers I have found left over 2012 Truono V4 R's for $11,900. That pretty much blows the Ducati Streetfighter 848 and the Speed Triple out of the water. That's just looking at the numbers though.

I just can't get behind the FZ1. If you put an FZ8 front end on it...maybe.

The Street Triple does seem like the best value, right around $9k give or take...or the FZ8 is even cheaper but the weight is kind of up there.

I guess I just need to decide if spending 9k for a 100hp bike is acceptable, or 12k for a 160hp is better.
From what I read, the FZ8 is just the FZ1 further neutered and with different styling. Read a thread in a forum for the owners bellyaching over not getting the FZ1 instead and trying to give reasonable justifications.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Also consider the Kawasaki Z1000. I testrode one, and was very impressed; I liked the way it rode a lot better than the FZ1 I tested on the same day.

PhilB

Reactions: bassjones

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
Street Triple R would fit the bill nicely. I tested the speed triple and wasn't impressed. Don't let power numbers on paper fool you. Test some bikes out.

The street triple will lift the front in first or second on the throttle no problem

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I am afraid your a victim of the USA curse of not getting the bikes the rest of the world gets .. Go to the UK version of the site and you can have a 125 duke or 200 duke also the 390 duke and the 690duke more adventurous have a 690 duke R and king daddy 990 duke .. go to the USA version of the site and you get the choice of the plain old 690 duke ..and thats it ,thats yer only choice . You lot really want to have a word with the world and ask why you dont get all the cool bikes from japan or europe !!!

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
The Street Triple R was very impressive as well. My short list for reasonably-priced bikes was the STR, Z1000, or HyperMotard 796. This last one was discontinued, so you could sub the SF848 or HM821.

I am afraid your a victim of the USA curse of not getting the bikes the rest of the world gets .. Go to the UK version of the site and you can have a 125 duke or 200 duke also the 390 duke and the 690duke more adventurous have a 690 duke R and king daddy 990 duke .. go to the USA version of the site and you get the choice of the plain old 690 duke ..and thats it ,thats yer only choice . You lot really want to have a word with the world and ask why you dont get all the cool bikes from japan or europe !!!
It's not the world we have a problem with. It's our own damn government, which promulgates ridiculous levels of regulations, making it not cost-effective to sell anything here that won't generate large volumes of sales.

PhilB

Reactions: bassjones

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I guess I'm the only one who prefers the 1050 motor to the 675. MW's, IMO, make for dead boring streetbikes. They're great racebikes, but I'll stick to large displacement bikes on the street.

If budget is an issue, why not get a used bike? I like the Brutale, Superduke then Speed Triple as my top three. Judging by my ride on an RSV4, the Tuono would probably hit that list as well, but I never rode the V4 Tuono. I chose the S3 because the V4 Tuono was not out yet, the SuperDukes were crazy expensive and MV has a questionable dealer network and ownership.

Personally, I think finding an 04-05 ZX10 that was lightly crashed would make the perfect street fighter.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
The Street Triple R was very impressive as well. My short list for reasonably-priced bikes was the STR, Z1000, or HyperMotard 796. This last one was discontinued, so you could sub the SF848 or HM821.

It's not the world we have a problem with. It's our own damn government, which promulgates ridiculous levels of regulations, making it not cost-effective to sell anything here that won't generate large volumes of sales.

PhilB
Or maybe it's just that Americans won't buy them. Yes, I know I just said I like big-bore bikes on the street, but if Yamaha made a modern FZR400, I'd be at the Yamaha dealer buying my new bike tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts