Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never ceases to amaze me the ignorance about HIDs on this board.

The fact is, you can have reflectors with HIDs, projectors are way better, but not required.

Ford, GM, Volvo, Renault (and others that escape my mind right now) have used HIDs with reflector assemblies.

The most important aspect of HID is using the PROPER bulb for the headlight assembly (do some research about HID bulbs instead of just barfing ignorance all over the place) and focus (positioning of the actual ARC, it must be on the same exact spot as the resistor on the halogen bulb).

Yes, if you use the incorrect kind of bulb on a reflector, glare will be awfull, and if you use the incorrect bulb on a projector, you'll end up with 50% of the light it should provide.

To further prove the ignorance of the HID haters, if the arc is positioned correctly, why is it going to create more glare than a normal halogen bulb? Is it just because of the kind of element inside the bulb?
Why bulbs with 2X the power do not create that "terrible and dangerous" glare (hint: same shape, so the alignment is correct, no need for adjustment).

Random fact: Glare caused by DOT headlights is there by design, it may not be noticeable with a low power bulb, but once the bulb is improved it is noticeable. European spec headlights don't have the requirement of being able to lit up signs at the same time as the road, and basically provide same pattern as projectors, they work beautifully with HIDs.

I may be dreaming, but I wish people were more open to new technologies. Hate and fear just delays progress.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Um, as long as my headlight works and does it job, I don't care whats in it

·
Already Sick of Winter
3,273 Posts
Süsser Tod said:

The fact is, you can have reflectors with HIDs, projectors are way better, but not required.

Ford, GM, Volvo, Renault (and others that escape my mind right now) have used HIDs with reflector assemblies.

The most important aspect of HID is using the PROPER bulb for the headlight assembly (do some research about HID bulbs instead of just barfing ignorance all over the place) and focus (positioning of the actual ARC, it must be on the same exact spot as the resistor on the halogen bulb).

Yes, if you use the incorrect kind of bulb on a reflector, glare will be awfull, and if you use the incorrect bulb on a projector, you'll end up with 50% of the light it should provide.

To further prove the ignorance of the HID haters, if the arc is positioned correctly, why is it going to create more glare than a normal halogen bulb? Is it just because of the kind of element inside the bulb?
Why bulbs with 2X the power do not create that "terrible and dangerous" glare (hint: same shape, so the alignment is correct, no need for adjustment).

Random fact: Glare caused by DOT headlights is there by design, it may not be noticeable with a low power bulb, but once the bulb is improved it is noticeable. European spec headlights don't have the requirement of being able to lit up signs at the same time as the road, and basically provide same pattern as projectors, they work beautifully with HIDs.

I may be dreaming, but I wish people were more open to new technologies. Hate and fear just delays progress.
wait a minute. you are just NOW surprised at the ignorance on this board? :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
489 Posts
lol, HID ignorance in general is pretty high. I'm certainly not an HID hater (I have spent probably close to $1000 with retrofitting my truck with HID). However, I am not in favor of those that simply by "plug and play" kits. No, projectors are not required. They offer much greater optics, but there certainly are good reflector-based systems out there. As stated, the greatest problem comes in with DOT reflectors. DOT reflectors are mostly pieces of shit. If you have ECE-style reflectors, and the filament is aligned along the same axis as the HID arc, then it should not be a big problem. Output could be greatly improved, but at least the glare will not be very bad.

Of course, while I have no problem with someone else going the "plug n play" route given that they are not blinding other drivers with glare, I have always followed the dogma of "do it right the first time." If I'm going to spend all that money on quality ballasts and bulbs, I may as well spend a bit more for projectors and have a lot better output and a razor sharp cutoff.

I actually just went back to halogen from HID on my truck, but it is simply because retrofitting just does not work well with my truck. It originally came with 4x6 sealed beams and I have done a number of conversions since then. Unfortunately, there is simply not enough room in the space allowed for headlights on my vehicle. On newer vehicles, projectors can be mounted plenty deep and have room around the housing as well. On mine, the projector generally fit rather snug, and there was barely enough depth, even with the lens of the projector nearly touching the OE lens. Because the fit was so tight, I was not satisfied with the aim/orientation of my headlights, and I abandoned it for now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Süsser Tod said:

I think the problem is the way HID lights make light is different than how halogens do it and the reflectors are NOT compatible. An HID light outputs the light in a different direction than a halogen does, so if you put an HID bulb in a reflector designed for halogen, it does NOT work right. It creates all sorts of glare and a bad beam pattern, which blinds oncoming drivers.

If you want to retrofit a whole HID assembly (projector and all) to a normal bike, go for it! if you just want to buy a bulb and ballast, BAD IDEA. It is illegal to install those on your bike, and it is also illegal for a company to sell it to you. It may be brighter for the rider but it blinds oncoming drivers and IMO creates more of a safety problem than it solves.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I do not like vehicles that come with HIDs and have reflective housings. I personally feel they glare too much compared to both normal halogen and HIDs with projectors, even if they are aimed correctly.

·
Registered
329 Posts
funkeycold said:
I do not like vehicles that come with HIDs and have reflective housings. I personally feel they glare too much compared to both normal halogen and HIDs with projectors, even if they are aimed correctly.
+1 especially after the bright glare drives by and you realize its a POS 80's corolla/civic

·
Registered
42 Posts
So what about the Escalade, Navigator, or Lexus IS 300? They all have reflector housings and Ive never had one "blind" me while coming down the road.

·
Roadracer since '96
1,911 Posts
I know here in Illinois that over a certain temp rating is illegal no matter how they are aimed, the Silverstars are illegal, but it seems most people don't care who use them. I personally have the Cool Blue bulbs in my '02 F-250 Crewcab since they were the only legal ones offered at the local auto parts store, much whiter, but not brighter light at the same temp rating. I get flashed occasionally by high beams, but I did with my stock ones as well, it's generally as I crest over a hill so the angle of the light hits the other vehicle full strength. I have noticed that the stock HID lights in some cars are really bad for that same thing, absolutely blinding light as they crest over a hill and the angle of the lights hit you like they are designed not to do on normal flat roads. In that situation it can be quite dangerous, but under general driving conditions they don't bother me. I think many people don't realize they aren't squinting when they have stock HID's coming toward them, but instead react to the fact that the light is whiter than they are use to. :)

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
What's your point? Designing the right system can work? Doing it wrong doesn't work? Put this into the practical realm for us.

Which HID resellers are creating specific systems for retrofit? None that I know of. They're all reselling someones OEM part that was manufactured for a specific car. You know something otherwise?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Süsser Tod said:

who cares man....

·
Registered
400 Posts
I used a projector hid set up for my ZX7, but my Navigator came with reflector HID's. I don't have any of the Nav, but here is my ZX7

Attachments

·
Registered
966 Posts
Süsser Tod said:

It amazes me when people start threads like this just to ramble on about nonsence. Who cares how much shit like this bothers you....start a thread that has some kind of life other then your sorry excuse for venting. :bitchslap

·
Registered
359 Posts
HID lights may seem to be all the rage, but personally, I don't spend that much time riding at night to justify the expense of converting my bike's lighting......

1 - 20 of 58 Posts