Sport Bikes banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,658 Posts
I owned a v-max and the v-rod is quite possibly the only bike (other than a hardtail) more uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Uh, I would LOVE to see both a Vrod capable of 160mph and a rider capable of holding on to it at that speed. This whole story sounds like bs.

·
Cage intolerant
446 Posts
I had a V-Rod bored out from 1130 to 1320 CC, turbocharged, heads opened up, and cams specifically cut to work with the Turbo. And there is no way in hell that bike would touch a Busa or a ZX-14. No damn way. None. Nada. Zilch. Zero.

·
The Mach3 Kid
102 Posts
Hey it happens. I have a 99 ZRX1100 Kawasaki that has a big bore motor Muzzy cams and a full list of hardware sourced for a ZX11. The point is I'm a retired road racer with a very quick very fast super sleeper and give the posers heart attacks on Busa's, ZX12's, and ZX14's ect. . It's the way of the world more skill and "guts" trumps moderate skills and a more conservative mind set. Proof, Dale SR. and Jeff Gordon. 11 Cup Championships. Fortune favors the brave. But D.E.sr is dead. I can't make it through the metal detectors at the airport stark naked. It can cost you. And there are some guys that just have no "off button" and are just plain nuts. I'm lucky in that I own 2 ZRX's a highly modded 99 and a mostly stock 2005, I can chose if I want to ride a insane or a sane motorcycle. I don't put a lot of miles on the 99 ZRX. It's for "those" days.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, the ZX-14 is NOT a sportbike. It's a sport tourer. It takes a ludicrous amount of input to turn at speed, and Road 2's don't offer much feedback. I heard from John it's really hard to tell when they're at their traction limit. But no excuses John basically got his ass handed to him for 20 miles. Now if John was on his 09 R1 which has Pilot Pures on it, it would have been slaughter. But street racing is a really bad idea anyway. Just saying....
Sports tourer? its also a supersport sport bike just heavier than your typically Race replica bike, have you ever tried putting a Pilot power front on it? The curb weight says 566 lbs, that tire should work fine and give you more agressive steering. While I personally would never run a Proad2 front on my VFR, I have run the rears (great life), the vfr weight is not that much lighter than the zx 14 as I have about 15 lb of abs stuff, and its around 550 wet. But I've run combos, and I'm exclusive to Ppower fronts only, I mix tires like road2's or Bt21 rears, I'm actually about to run a Ppwer front with a Bt23 rear GT(one of the new ones out).

Im saddened you feel your zx is not a sport bike, next dream a ZX14 may eat your R1 :horse

·
Motorcycle Affectionado
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Uh, I would LOVE to see both a Vrod capable of 160mph and a rider capable of holding on to it at that speed. This whole story sounds like bs.
I know it sounds unbelievable. I can hardly believe it myself. That's why I posted it. I wouldn't make up a story like this. John got schooled and it was a little embarrassing. If I were to make up a story, it would be about how John smoked a modded SS1000RR on his ZX-14 with stock tires.

·
Motorcycle Affectionado
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I had a V-Rod bored out from 1130 to 1320 CC, turbocharged, heads opened up, and cams specifically cut to work with the Turbo. And there is no way in hell that bike would touch a Busa or a ZX-14. No damn way. None. Nada. Zilch. Zero.
That depends on how far the rider is willing to go. A 250 can smoke a 1000 if the 1000 operator refuses to break the speed limit. Now if both riders didn't give a [email protected], the Busa or ZX-14 would kill.

·
Motorcycle Affectionado
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hey it happens. It's the way of the world more skill and "guts" trumps moderate skills and a more conservative mind set. Fortune favors the brave. And there are some guys that just have no "off button" and are just plain nuts.
That is exactly what happened.^

·
Motorcycle Affectionado
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Sports tourer? its also a supersport sport bike just heavier than your typically Race replica bike, have you ever tried putting a Pilot power front on it? The curb weight says 566 lbs, that tire should work fine and give you more agressive steering. While I personally would never run a Proad2 front on my VFR, I have run the rears (great life), the vfr weight is not that much lighter than the zx 14 as I have about 15 lb of abs stuff, and its around 550 wet. But I've run combos, and I'm exclusive to Ppower fronts only, I mix tires like road2's or Bt21 rears, I'm actually about to run a Ppwer front with a Bt23 rear GT(one of the new ones out).

Im saddened you feel your zx is not a sport bike, next dream a ZX14 may eat your R1 :horse
His ZX-14 is used for relaxing rides and commuting. He wanted tires that would last a long time, and he's willing to sacrifice grip. When he wants to ride like a jackass, he has a second bike. A "true" sportbike which has a short wheelbase and sticky tires. Technically the ZX-14 is classified as a "hyperbike". What that means to me is heavy, comfortable, and designed for straights at high speeds.

Also please understand that John doesn't think he's a pro. You could probally run circles around him on your ZX-14. He knows his limits, and doesn't like pushing them often on public roads. I'm sure many of the members of this forum have more skill, experience, and balls than him.

Lastly he DREAMS of retiring young with his pension, in a nice house out of New York. Sipping alcoholic beverages by the pool without a care in the world. Not of machismo contests. This happened here in NY. There are a lot of really rich guys, who spend big money on toys. NY is very mixed, with people of very different economic backgrounds, living very close to each other. I know a spot 20 minutes from my house, where you can see Lambos, Ferraris, Porches, etc every weekend (Ocean Loop Parkway). That Harley was HOOKED UP, PERIOD. I don't know anything about Harleys, but I know a little about money. If you have enough of it, you can make nearly anything happen.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
The difference between the Original Ppower front and a sport tour tire front.

A sport tour front is good for a few more thousand miles, but at a severaly degraded state. and much less overall grip to begin with. Ppwer fronts give 100% all the way to the cord, its so much better over the entire life .

Lets say you can run a front power 5 or 6,000 mile, full performance all the way to the core, or you can run a sport tour tire, which is okay for that 5 0r 6 thousand miles, and then it starts degrading after that. but lasts for say 8,000 mile life span. Sure you got more milege, but you sacrificed alot of performance in those miles. Was it worth it? switching back and forth over the years, and having sporttours slip in cold rain, I said NO.

Thats the reason I dont even bother with sport tours on the front. Front Ppwers are a Phenomina, if you run 37 or 38 cold psi(checked weekly, they yeild outstanding life and performance. Atleast mine wear really Great. But with the perfomance and the life, I said no reason to even screw with anything else.

Maybe try once , Btw my VFR came with a z4 sport tour front , a pos tire, lousy corner tire. I ran it to the wear bars. These tires are known as iron wearing. My front P powers get every bit of that milege. Just air them to 37 or 38 cold psi.

This is the original Ppower front, not the 2 ct (avoid that one)

I only post this cause your complaint , the zx14 is not a sport bike and the tires you run lack feel.

Did you start as a new rider on RR bikes?

The Anti Christ has come to town and he's on a VROD, Huntin Sportbikes LOL!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Not sure the point of the story. If it's supposed to praise Harleys, it fell flat. The v-rod owner had to add 10-20k$ to make it almost as fast as a sportbike which comes with the power and speed out of the crate. I'm sure the dullard v-rod owner thinks it's a gigantic accomplishment and told all his fellow hill-scoggins at the bar. He REALLY thinks his Harley is even MORE better than sportbikes now! Simple moronic logic. Why don't he bungee one of those solid-rocket boosters from the Space Shuttle to it next time.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I've test rode a V-Rod as well as an FZ6r and a few other bikes.

It is as fast as I think and I think it is slower than an FZ6r.

Plus, it's got a powerband more like a supersport than a big twin, so you don't even get that monster pull from 1,500 RPMs.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
the ZX14 is more capable in every way, no matter how much crap you throw onto that harley.

the buell porsche made me laugh haha

21 - 40 of 59 Posts