Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Motorcycle Affectionado
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this guy who was on his way home from work this morning at about 5:00 AM. He was riding a 06 ZX-14 with pipes, filter, PC, and Pilot Road 2's. I'll refer to him as John. While cruising with the flow of traffic at around 65 MPH, a guy on a V-Rod pulls up next to him, gives him a smug look, and takes off.

John is a pretty respectable rider who very rarely speeds or rides recklessly on public roads. John wears gear head to toe every time he rides and is somewhat responsible. But for some reason the V-Rod guy suckered him in to a street race. John thought to himself "it's a cruiser, i'll give him a quick spanking to show him Jap bikes rip and then back off". "Plus there's hardly any cars on the road and no police presence".

Little did John know the V-Rod was very, very fast and the operator was very, very skilled. John didn't know that the V-Rod was far from stock. The V-Rod was hitting every apex perfectly, lightly scraping hard parts at around 120 MPH on sweeping highway turns. On straights the V-Rod was doing at least 160 MPH with a roaring exhaust note. John stayed right behind him for about 20 miles but lacked the balls to pass. John wasn't used to those kind of speeds and lean angles on his ZX-14 but he stubbornly refused to give in. John was pushing the ZX-14 harder than he ever did before, by a lot. Eventually John stopped looking at the speedometer and passed him on a straight that had to be around 175 MPH indicated.

But in the next turn the V-Rod passed him carrying more corner speed. His exhaust sparked, grounding out, and the back wheel wobbled, almost causing a highside. At that point John passed him again. But the V-Rod rider rather die than be schooled by a punk on "Jap Crap". So he gunned by John again. John finally realized what he was doing was stupid as shit, and somebody was going to get hurt. So he gave up as the V-Rod disappeared into the horizon.

Those two guys are absolute macho assholes and shouldn't ever do that again. But John gained a new respect for Harleys and their owners.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
pretty cool.... lol funny thing is vrods are the only harley motorcycle i dont much care for.. but they are definitely quick bikes

·
Registered
479 Posts
And of course, they sourced the engine design from ... Porsche, so a lot of Harley folks don't consider them "real" Harleys. I think they are more like what HD should be, but what do I know... :p

·
Wanna-be racer
2,572 Posts
k??

i've never been on either of those bikes but i'd hope that the sport bike rider learns how to lean that monster machine (zx-14) soon because i think that's just embarrassing that he got PWNED by a bike that had to scrape parts where as the sport bike (i believe) wouldn't even come close to scraping parts if the operator was taking turns properly.

my 2 cents.

·
Registered
672 Posts
pretty ridiculous story lol , and stock v-rods gearing limits them to 128 mph.. they are 5 speed too. Must have had aftermarket sprockets although they are belt driven.

my cousin has a v-rod though and its awesome. Mabe that one had a supercharger kit on it..

·
Motorcycle Affectionado
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
k??

i've never been on either of those bikes but i'd hope that the sport bike rider learns how to lean that monster machine (zx-14) soon because i think that's just embarrassing that he got PWNED by a bike that had to scrape parts where as the sport bike (i believe) wouldn't even come close to scraping parts if the operator was taking turns properly.

my 2 cents.
Contrary to popular belief, the ZX-14 is NOT a sportbike. It's a sport tourer. It takes a ludicrous amount of input to turn at speed, and Road 2's don't offer much feedback. I heard from John it's really hard to tell when they're at their traction limit. But no excuses John basically got his ass handed to him for 20 miles. Now if John was on his 09 R1 which has Pilot Pures on it, it would have been slaughter. But street racing is a really bad idea anyway. Just saying....

·
Motorcycle Affectionado
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pretty ridiculous story lol , and stock v-rods gearing limits them to 128 mph.. they are 5 speed too. Must have had aftermarket sprockets although they are belt driven.

my cousin has a v-rod though and its awesome. Mabe that one had a supercharger kit on it..
I'M TELLING YOU, THAT BIKE WAS NOT STOCK. I don't know what the hell he did to it. When John was right behind him, he was constantly looking at his speedometer thinking "holy shit, I didn't know V-Rods can hit these speeds". But remember that these speeds were indicated. Who knows how much the ZX-14 is off.

·
Registered
839 Posts
yeah he got suckered. the dude was probably running a 30-40k dollar bike. But it sounds like the V-Rod rider was a skilled rider too. But corners on a highway???? There just isn't too many of those type of corners that I know of that is going to be that much of a deterant to a skilled rider.... yeah you might not be hittin 170s but you can definately do 100+ on them.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have mucho respect for the V-rods. I was close to buying one but they are the most uncomfortable bike I have ever sat on. It would need mid controls before I could leave the dealership.

YouTube - fastest time yet harley Vrod - 9.03 would be what, 155+mph trap? That's haulin'. Still can't hold a candle to the turbo Busas, but this V-Rod is still naturally aspirated.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
i test rode a v rod and at 55 the vibrations made my eyeballs feel like they'd pop outa my head. i'll keep my rice rockets, thank you

·
Jive Turkey
4,528 Posts
I wouldn't have titled it "The V-Rod is faster than you think", but more like "This V-Rod in particular was faster than my friend thought", along with a rider obviously more skilled than your buddy John.

I've ridden the older V-Rod (g/f's dad has an '03) and have tested the new one, and I was underwhelmed both times to say the least. I can see how the die-hard Harley guys think they're "scary fast", but to the rest of us who experience what the rest of the motorcycling world has to offer, they're "quick for a Harley", but not fast by any means to the rest of what's out there.

Put enough money into mods on a machine and place a skilled operator at the helm, and anything can be "faster than you may think".

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
Well considering the thing was primarily engineered by Erik Buell and Porsche, it makes sense that it's pretty quick.

I think Harley should give credit where credit is due and call i the Buell Porsche. lol

·
Registered
569 Posts
99.9% of the time, it's the rider.

Fast V-Rod? It depends. What do you consider fast? It certainly wasn't the 9.05 one mentioned, that was probably not, or maybe just barely, streetable.

·
Wanna-be racer
2,572 Posts
i test rode a v rod and at 55 the vibrations made my eyeballs feel like they'd pop outa my head. i'll keep my rice rockets, thank you
THIS

i'm pretty sure all harleys ride the same although i've only ever been on one. i rode the 2003 sportster last year and i felt like i was riding a jack hammer.. i'm not really into that whole thing.. i'll stick with my sewing machine of a sportbike

·
Banned
7,982 Posts
My best friend rented one on a bike trip we did, I rode it. It was unstable at 100mph with those solid rims (I know now they offer better wheel packages). It was also hard to hold on at 100mph do to the wind blast from the forward control riding position...I could not imagine it even being possible at 160mph. Besides some serious modification were done to get it to 160mph...LOL

In the end it did not prove a stock VRod is fast, they are better then most HD's...but probably around the same as an older VMax with worst riding ergonomics. So in the end most people would of just thought "here is a guy that spend $18K+ on a vrod, then another $10K+ on modifications and it still is not faster then the ZX14" which can be had for a lot less. Where as toss the same amount of money at the ZX14 and now you got a 200+ mph bike...that can still handle better.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts