Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be a lot of discussion about tires lately, and many different threads started on the same subject. Therefore, I am compiling a comprensive FZ6 Tire thread. I have merged simalar tire topics into one thread, and left sub-topic tire discussions on their own thread. Please post to the appropriate thread. If a new thread is started, I will merge it to the apporpriate thread if it is not a repeat question. If it is a repeat question, I will lock the thread and point you to the proper place to get the information you need.

General Tire Discussion

Simple Tire Poll

Sport Touring / Longer Mileage Tires

Tire Cleaning

Tire Repair

Show us your Chicken Strips!

Tire discussion from the archives.

Mathematics of Tire Performance

Changing Your Own Tire

How to Remove the Wheels and here

Metzler M1 sportecs thread

Tire Vendors:
http://www.swmototires.com/

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
good man, now do one for every other topic that pops up at least once a week.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
What tires are the best for my FZ6???

·
Registered
853 Posts
Michelin Pilot Powers. They are awesome!

·
Registered
146 Posts
flipperMAN said:
Round ones work best :p
and watch out for flat spots down the middle :)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
New Dunlop Qualifier

Anyone heard anything about the new Dunlop Qualifier they are coming out with? I have a friend, who has a friend, that knows a guy, that has a contact that can get me a set for a pretty amazing price. I'm thinking I can't go wrong for the cost, I just wonder if anyone has seen or heard anything on them.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/pdf/Dunlop Qualifier Press Intro.pdf

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heavy FZ6 said:
Anyone heard anything about the new Dunlop Qualifier they are coming out with?
I haven't heard anything about them, but be sure to post up a review in the user reviews section of SBN if you get a set, and then drop a link to the review in here. Sometimes you just have to be the guinea pig.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've gone 6157 miles and the wear indicators are starting to show so I expect that I will be replacing the tire very soon. I hope I can get it to last to 7000 miles. that is about another three weeks of riding. I don't know if it will make it that long though.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
jcaesar said:
I haven't heard anything about them, but be sure to post up a review in the user reviews section of SBN if you get a set, and then drop a link to the review in here. Sometimes you just have to be the guinea pig.
I was in touch with my contact at Dunlop. He's saying the dealers are grabbing the Qualifiers up like crazy. It'll be a while before I'm doing any guinea pigging anyway, we've got a whole whack of snow that has to melt before I'm riding again.

I'll do the report as soon as I can.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Metzeler Tires

Anyone use Metzeler Tires on the FZ6? I have used them in the past on other bikes and have had excellent performance. I was wondering if anyone has tried them on the FZ6

~Mike R~

·
Registered
514 Posts
which are good tyres (as we spell it in the UK!!) for all year riding (no burn outs and no track days).

The bike came with Dunlop D252's but these are currently on 3 month back-order and I cant wait that long. What about Bridgestones?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the Bridgestones on mine as std and will be replacing them fairly soon after only 3200 miles. No markers showing yet but they look quite flat between treads in places so keeping an eye on them.

I am possibly not the best person to quote on how good they are as is my first bike, which I bought new, and hence never tried any other tyres aside from the training bike I used for 3 days!

I do like them though and seem to be very grippy. Only got about half a centimetre of chicken strips on the edge of the tyres so not bad for a newbie and therefore I trust them completely!

Am open to ideas on their replacements though!

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
bpsmith said:
I have the Bridgestones on mine as std and will be replacing them fairly soon after only 3200 miles. No markers showing yet but they look quite flat between treads in places so keeping an eye on them.

I am possibly not the best person to quote on how good they are as is my first bike, which I bought new, and hence never tried any other tyres aside from the training bike I used for 3 days!

I do like them though and seem to be very grippy. Only got about half a centimetre of chicken strips on the edge of the tyres so not bad for a newbie and therefore I trust them completely!

Am open to ideas on their replacements though!
In the US. Checking my service log, I got 4300 from the rear tyre and 5880 from the fron tyre. These were the OEM Dunlop 252 The majority of those miles were riddne 2-up, mostly secondary and mountain roads with plenty of curves. Very little commuting. I got 5979 miles out of the last tire, which was a Michelin Pilot Road, a sport-touring tire. This was also mostly 2-up riding and same types of roads.

I am currently running a Continental Road attack on the rear. It is also a sport-touring tire as well. So far the tire is behaving well. Plenty of stick and good manners in the rain.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My vote goes to Avon tires. I'm on my secon dset and I'm getting around 11k out of them., which means changing tires only about once a year--yay! I'm no racer, just a street riding guy, but I do zip a bit, and I've found the performance, wet or dry out, to be just fine/no problems.

·
Angry bald Irishman
197 Posts
I mentioned this in another thread as well, but Michelin is coming out with the Pilot Road 2ct next month here in the states, and it is supposed to be the best hands down. The lean angle is greater than the current generation Pilot Roads, and the center of the tire is a harder compound for longer life. This is to be the ultimate dual compound tire. I'm running the current Pilot Roads, and love them. I can't wait until the 2ct comes out!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts