Sport Bikes banner

The echo in here is killing me!

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  OldSchlPunk 
#1 ·
I've spent the last few years playing on Reddit, but I think the bike specific forums don't have the sense of community we have always had here so I decidedd to pop in.

What would it take to resurrect this site? Is there a dedicated corps of SBN members who swing through here often enough to get a conversation going? Hit me up in the comments and let's get a regular chat going. Maybe some old friends will drop in and our chat will get larger and larger.

#2 ·
I think many are probably going to a manufacturer/model specific site?
I spend lot of time on GSXR sites? Mainly 'cause that's what I currently ride though.

#3 ·
I don't know. I think the most popular forums in the old days were general riders and open chat. Politics was always a hot bed of discussion, too.

What made SBN great was the sheer diversity of its membership. The site was able to sustain that because it had so many members logging in all the time. I know I used to spend hours and hours on here fighting with people. Then one day I just checked out and it was years before I realized I hadn't logged in. Seems like a lot of others did too. It's shocking to see posts years old still on the front page.

There were a lot of great people on here. It would be fun to try and get enough people swinging through - even once in a while - to get a regualr conversation going. I think others would join too.

Also, I think the mods should delete a lot of the stickies that take up so much space at the top of the page. They are mostly useless now anyway...

#4 ·
I pop in from time to time but it hasn't been what it was in a loooooooong time. Seems that every time I do pop in, the first page is mostly P&R threads. I spend much of my time at FZ09.org, a gun site or the WERA board.

Sun's coming out, might have to head out for a ride...

#5 · (Edited)
Oh man, now there is a name I recognize! Great to see you!

I fell off the boards when I sold my GSXR. I wasn’t really using it as much as I would have liked so I decided it was time to go. It was such a beast of a bike.

Two weeks ago I picked up a 94 CB1000. It sat for a long time so I have to put it back into shape. I have it running now - well, idling at least - from gasoline in a bottle because I had to send the tank out to have internal rust removed and a rustproof coating added. Hoping it comes back next week.
it’s funny that a 94 doesn’t seen old to me - I remember sitting on one new in a showroom back in the day. But damn this thing is hard to get parts for and my local shop doesn’t even want to touch it. They say they are afraid that if they break something they can’t replace it. Such is life I suppose.

We are back in the states now. Arrived a couple of years ago. Feels nice to be home but we would probably go back to Japan again if we had another chance. Talking about retiring there in another decade or so but it will depend on what the kids do.

Hope to hear more from you and anyone else from the old crew. I plan on swinging through here regularly now and I figure that if we just keep talking others may come and stay. It’s nice to reconnect.

#6 ·
I no longer have my CBR600, it went down the road with 57k on the clock. I treated myself to a 2018 MT09.

This board really died when people jumped to Facebook and never really recovered. Shame because as you said, the variety of people and topics here was really good.

Reactions: espacef1fan
#8 ·
The MT is a boatload of giggles. Torque that pulls forever, unlike the CBR and a riding position that is more relaxed. I find myself riding this bike harder than I did the Honda.

'94 CB1000...I don't doubt it's getting hard to find parts for that. My nephew bought his dad's '85 GPz550. It had bad fork seals. While the seals were easy enough to source, the sliders and o-rings were nearly impossible to find. Forks still leaked when done because the inner leg was too far out of tolerance from the bad sliders. No replacements to be found. He rode it like that for a few weeks until the engine let go. I believe he wound up parting it out to get his investment back.

I remember your being in Japan. Fascinating. Not sure I could do (or could have done) that. The cultural differences would likely have been my problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.