Sport Bikes banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
there's a church up there! and merc figures we need to go see it.

pretty nice climb, one Alps-like switchback had me hoping for more, but sadly it was not to be.

at the top

555 m

the view... our campsite was out on that spit of land straight ahead.

the church

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
the lads (looking a bit worse for wear)

a little viewing platform

bunch of wood below the platform.. like one has collapsed?

hmmmm

they had a "history of the region" as you walked along the edge

interesting...
I know the answer

In days of yore, from Britain's shore,
Wolfe, the dauntless hero came,
And planted firm Britannia's flag,
On Canada's fair domain.
Here may it wave, our boast, our pride,
And joined in love together,
The thistle, shamrock, rose entwine

"name that tune"

with enough pics from the top of the hill we head back down. it's a toll road BTW, but I think we got our $4.50's worth!

we set off west along the shore as it starts to get a bit darker... I knew I should have worn my waterproof pants this morning...

more in a bit

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quick best

Left home and kept making turns right above the SC NC border past 215 and Cruso, Ended up lost in a Valley for 100 miles and then on a Gravel road for 1.5 hours just looking for a way to leave the valley. Ended up on The BRP through a 4 ft gate. Rode that back through Lake Lure and to home.

I enjoyed being lost in such a nice place minus the gravel.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Best trip was last year's adventure on the BRP. Very good riding, beautiful roads, good riding buddy to share the experience. Camping and biking - two hobbies that go great together...

·
THE LEAD.
514 Posts
day 2;

so we set off from Mount Blue after a proper (bacon filled) breakfast.

Light mist, but it wasn't too bad, until we got about 15 minutes into the ride, then it started pissing down again. Not many pics this day, just too crappy. Every time we turned east (or even north-east) the skies would open up... was someone trying to tell us something?

At Skewhegan we tried turning northwest a bit to stay out of the front we kept catching.. it worked for a while, but at Dover Foxcroft we got pissed on once again

We got to Howland & started thinking about a hotel instead of a campsite. We'd hoped to make the border, but the Gamin wasn't hopeful of lodging, and eastward meant rain, so we went north instead. Ended the night at the EconoLodge in Millnocket.

good time to let things dry out!

about 200 boring / wet miles behind us.

I lived in Levant a little town north of Bangor. I had lots of fun rideing thoses roads in maine. Just not when the freeze humps were in season. Canada slways seems to have nice campgrounds for americans to dry off in.
I did the same heading off for the great lakes. rained all the way to the border and in the other side it was sunny.

·
Old Geezer
52 Posts
Columbus, Ohio to Anchorage, Alaska in the summer of 2006. I've got 6 weeks vacation so I took the month of June off and left for Anchorage. 10,563 miles all told. What a trip!!! I cheated though. I rode the Venture.

·
Bandito
133 Posts
My best trip so far isn't that spectacular, but my buddy and I are planning an epic 4-week loop around the USA for Sept/Oct 2010. We'll be doing a lot of camping to save money on hotels, and so we can stick to the back roads as much as possible. We're starting to chronicle the preparations for our trip at MotoTour 2010

But, so far, my best trip was actuall a trip to Deal's Gap. I had been there before, and have been there since, but back in 2005 I loaded up the Bandit and rode down and back. 2-1/2 days down (a few hours on the highway Friday from Philly to Front Royal, VA, then 2 days meandering down the BRP and over to Robbinsville, NC). It took longer than I expected (buddies of mine did from Front Royal to Cherokee and back up to Asheville in one long day) due to pea-soup fog the first day on the BRP - I was doing like 20mph the whole way and decided to quit and get a hotel room in Boone, NC by 4:00 that afternoon. A week riding around the Gap area (we get a cabin in Robbinsville every year) and my buddy Fred joined be for a 3-day ride back (he had ridden down seperately from his home in Massachusetts). Nothing spectacular, and I haven't had the urge to ride down to Deal's Gap again even though I love the BRP. It's just better to trailer down overnight with the other guys to save on the bike's tires and have more time down there. I will be hitting the BRP for a weekend in June, though, to do some moto-camping and hanging out with a buddy that's riding to VA from Denver.

·
Registered
35 Posts
europe trips

hello out there,
in the name of the "sport(bikes) tourers ;o), i´d like to share some of my bike travelling memories with you.
best trip ever has been to the pyrenees (the mountain borderline between spain and france). we rocked the mountain roads thee very nice and fast, an indication for our ambition was the tyre wear: new continental road attacks lasted only 2300 km´s (that´s roughly 1440 miles), so extremely sticky was the tarmac there :bowdown:bowdown .
we travelled with following bikes there:
- vfr (modell 2005)
- sprint ST
- FZ 1
- R 6 (2002 modell ?)
- Z 750 (2004)
it was an absolute amazing, 10 days long travel- no cops who cared about us, no crash (neither a near miss moment)--all perfect!!
my mate scraped/grinded the rear downpipe of his vfr (yepp!) on the r/h side twisties, and myself did same on the bellypan of the trumpet. the hero blobs are long gone of both our bikes. later i grinded the centerstand mounting bracket (frameside)- then i decided to call it a day with that kind of speed and leanangle.

second best ever trip:
maritime alps in france (i guess it was 2006?) with the same gang as above.
so many highlights there, just too less time to write about :boink

this year in june we will invade south-tyrol (part of northern italy) for the, i think, 6th time so far.

if anyone can tell me how to post more pictures here, i´ll try to sort out some of the highlights.
see you
fred

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lemoore CA to Fallon NV

I am stationed at NAS Lemoore and going to NAS Fallon on 21 March. Looks like a great opportunity to ride the bike. Anybody know how the roads will be this time of year? Would this be a good idea?

Thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Pics from a long trip around 94 or 95. This morning we left Cloudcroft, NM early - 24 degrees F. Rode to Carlsbad Caverns, walked down into the caverns and rode the elevator back up. Rode to Fr Davis TX and spent the night at the Gage Hotel in Marathon. Slept pretty hard that night. My wife on her F2.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts