Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
insanity or genius
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode my Bandit this weekend. I have had some busy weekends lately and have not been able to ride, lots of rain also, I guess the last 3 weeks in a row.
So after not riding a couple weeks I came to the conclusion that the Bandit is a great bike. I read the UK's Bike magazine recently and they didnt even test the Bandit with the other 600 naked sports, they said they have reclassified the Bandit as a sport tourer because it hasnt been updated. No inverted forks and all.
Well I got news. The Bandit is a great riding street bike, power from 5500 rpm to 11,000 is great on the street, the bike handles well enough to test your tires, it will dive into a corner, pull the front end while power shifting gears. It is totally simple, nothing fancy maitenance wise, oil changes, new tires, check bolt torque values. Comfortable, way more comfortable than any of the pure supersport 600's.
The 90 hp available (with rejet, airbox and pipe mods) is enough for serious acceleration, you can ride with 100-105 hp 2006 model supersports, the speed is in the rider, no problem, you can carry a passenger without worrying about them pearched over your head woth nothing to hold onto in some ridiculous position with their feet resting over 2 feet off the ground. You can ride the son of a gun all day! I mean 600 mile days, no problem.
As for not having 2007 ohlins suspension, well get a set of raceteck springs fro the front and get a busa shock if you want. I got the racetecks and stiffened up the rear and its fine. Corners and tours.
I just dont see why the bike doest sell. After the enjoyment I have had the last year owning this one I may just buy another. The bike does everything you want, tour, act crazy, corner hard, or lope along with your friends cruisers. It is the best all around street 600.
The fact that it is overlooked just makes it a better deal.

·
Registered
81 Posts
One of the reasons the Bandit 600/650 doesn't sell as well as it could is that our fellow Americans seem to want unpractical bikes. We want specialty bikes. Sportbikes and cruisers sell the best.

The Bandit is more practical than most bikes, doing many things well but not one thing the best, so it is missing the passionate following.

I like mine. I have done track days, multi day tours, and lots of commuting on it without any problems. Of course, there are many, many bikes that can do any of those things better, but not many that can do all those things as well.

·
insanity or genius
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, I had my suspension done by cycle dynamics, now the forks work and the rear shock is great. The bike will do anything, tour, stunt, chase sportbikes and keep up with them, commute, its an all around great bike. People like plastic, one dude suggested my bike was beautiful but would look better with fairing lowers!!!!!!!!!! what, I like seeing motor, I think it looks great. Who needs plastic and a broken back and wrists to go fast?

·
Registered
38 Posts
+1 on singing the "little" Bandit's (600s) praises. It was the first bike I actually owned, and now it's my SIXTH!!!! In between I have had everything from Harley's to a Mean Streak to an R1 to a Triumph Bonneville and the Bandit is fantastic for REAL WORLD riding. Plus you can do ALL maintenance yourself with very few special tools. Just did my first valve adjustment the other day, realtively simple. Most of these hot sh!t sportsbikes have to have the cams removed and then you have to purchse shims to do the adjustment. It's a great bike. I agree that decent power is just a jet kit and a pipe away (not so sure about 90 HP, but at least mid 70's). Are you REALLY going to commute to work going 160-180 on a daily basis? Great bike!

·
insanity or genius
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
watchman, the little bandit was rated at 80hp bone stock, I have been told by my mechanic (he does my suspension) that my 5 degree timing advancer, air box mods, filter and pipe should have gotten me 10 more, but regardless the 600's cant run off and leave me.

get that fork taken care of and maybe a hayabusa or 1200 bandit rear shock and you will really be able to ride the little bandit hard. I cant believe how much fun I am having for so little money. My vette doesnt leave the garage!

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
The Bandit is a great bike! I'm guessing it was a victim of not appearing to many consumers to be as sporty as some other bikes.

In many aspects it is quite superior to the Katanas of the same year.

Other markets get the new updated liquid cooled 650 version, but Suzuki decided that we only get the new 1250.

·
Registered
38 Posts
MRCHEN said:
watchman, the little bandit was rated at 80hp bone stock, I have been told by my mechanic (he does my suspension) that my 5 degree timing advancer, air box mods, filter and pipe should have gotten me 10 more, but regardless the 600's cant run off and leave me.

Was that 80hp at the crank, or at the wheel? Check out holeshot.com for a dyno run on a stock Bandit 600. No offense, but your mechanic is FOS. MAYBE at the crank; but in no way, shape or form does a Bandit 600 turn 80hp at the wheel stock. If you can prove me wrong, I'd love to see the graph.

·
Registered
38 Posts
There ya go! Anyway, Mr. Chen, I live north of Atlanta and next season there WILL be some serious fixin of the suspension. How much did cycle dynamics cost? What all did you have done? Did you take your forks off the bike or did you just bring the bike in. I canlive with the rear shock for now, but the fork dive ranges from annoying to flat out dangerous so any info you could supply would be greatly appreciated

·
insanity or genius
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took the whole bike in, keith is reasonably priced and I dont have a lift (for street bike). I got racetech springs and changed my oil weight with a quality oil, now I am 20wt, I didnt go for racetech valves, they would run about 220$ plus installation and I dont think its worth it, as this is a budget bike. got my springs from parts unlimited for about 90$, bought my shock off ebay, got a used high quality spring off a bandit site, put shock together and dialed it in according to factory chart for a 1200 bandit, mechanic (keith) mounted shock, checked swingarm bearings, lubbed dog bones and did the forks for $213, to me thats chump change and I now ride a different bike, taught suspension and it can be thrown hard into corners without the huge suspension squat of the stock parts.

I think I told you all before I pulled in a ace hardware, a big one on the weekend, teen came out who was working there, said he heard me coming and came out and saw the bike pulling in, said it was awesome but told me I could get some plastic to cover the motor up! WTF, I LIKE seeing the motor, I guess nowadays if it aint wrapped up in colored plastic it aint sh*t!

Ive got 10 grand plus in my atv, my 2006 CRF250F cost me almost $8 as it sits (with the mods), and a fortune in my cars and hemi truck, havent really commited to my road bike yet, still pondering what to ride now as I am older and my riding has changed, in the meantime a bandit cant be beat, dude can you find a ride more fun for under $4,000???
YOU CANT DO IT !!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts