Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YES i know the cat being off and noise issues; however, in real honest tech answers do you think it would hurt my engine any to ride a bit with only the flange bolted to the exhaust ports and about 2" of header?

Here is why I ask, just want to ride a bit and outside of the obvious noise and pollution for the short time till I can get the exhaust either rebuilt (Yamaha Japan wouldnt even tell their techs here in Ca, when on phone from Tx. what they use to weld their titanium alloy exhaust :pisson ) or just buy another header and go to slip ons. It would create a little back pressure but dont know if it would damage the engine or not.

Were talking short rides for a few weeks off and on not daily driver :popcorn

:feedback :spank

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got an answer, it will burn the valves

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jim schmidt said:
The issue is not back pressure, its reversion. The pipe needs to be long enough that no ambient air is drawn back in between exhaust cycles. 18" or so should do it. However it won't get you any power except (possibly) at WOT. You'll lose everywhere else.

wsnt looking for any power just a ride while I weld an exhaust :bitchslap

thanks again

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
better get good earplugs!! I had my bike running with just header and cat eliminator midpipe on and i tell you....wow. its really loud. I had some school kids walking by my dads shop when i was playing back a month or so ago and when i hit it off about 9-10k the kids stumbled on the sidwalk and one kid almost crashed his bike!! I got a good laugh then shut it down to reconnect everyone after letting it cool down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts