Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, down again :duh2 I was riding home this morning after working a holiday double shift, came around a right hand corner less than a mile from home and the entire lane just turned to ice. Looks like a dump truck went around the turn with water spilling out of the bed and just soaked the entire lane, which froze up overnight. I don't think there was anything I could have done other than not ride a motorcycle. If I had run straight on I would have gone right into the cars that were waiting at the light.

Luckily the crash bars I installed last month did a great job absorbing most of the damage I bent the brake lever and scuffed up the bar end weight, but handlebar seems to be straight and the master cylinder seems undamaged. I broke a turn signal and rashed up the plastic radiator shrouds, but according to Triumph those are cheap parts they designed to take crash damage to protect the more expensive parts, while being inexpensive to replace. Looks like I also bent the rear brake pedal. All in all, about $350 in damage from Bike Bandit, replacing the one crash bar will be another $120 but I'm in no hurry to do that, looks kind of badass.

The gear worked fine, Puma boots got some scuffs, the Dainese Zen Evo jacket took it's second crash on the same side and still looks good. I was only wearing my work pants with thermals underneath, but they didn't tear and I got no rash, hip hurts a little, but I got away pretty OK.

So be careful out there, shit happens. Once I get my t***** fixed up I'll probably still do some winter riding, I just can't stand being off the bike for that long. It just sucks to crash a bike that is only 3 months old with only 3,400 miles on it!

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
That really sucks, but I'm glad you came out of it with just a few bruises!

All in all, $470 to get her back like new is amazingly little damage! The one time I lowsided my XT660R the bill came up to $1200.

·
Registered
848 Posts
YOU got out cheap.

That tells me you wee driving slow and safe, good job.

Ive done it myself in the past, ground the bike so far all the oil was gone, got up and walked to work without a scratch.

Ice sucks

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Don't know how some of you people even sit on those bike with those ginormous brass balls you have. Riding in below 45 degrees in slippery conditions? Potential ice? Mountains of road salt? :tremble :brrr

·
Registered
160 Posts
Gah that grinding sound is the worst. Glad you're OK- last year I lowsided (my own fault, turned too hard and grounded the side cases), hyperextended my left knee and 2 fingers on the left hand- engine guards saved my engine case too. Salvage parts rule.. :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
I don't think there was anything I could have done other than not ride a motorcycle.

Well, you could've chosen to live in Florida. :)

I refuse to live where they have silliness like iced roads. If the weather hurts the palm trees, I don't want anything to do with it.

Glad you're okay. It could've been much worse.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
^I would say "Perhaps he likes turns." but then again he lives in Connecticut. :( Florida without the warm weather. :(

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^I would say "Perhaps he likes turns." but then again he lives in Connecticut. :( Florida without the warm weather. :(
Ha, we have plenty of great corners here, they're just so littered with potholes and tar snakes that you cant enjoy them.

·
Registered
729 Posts
You've apparently ridden Florida's famous "Tail of the Gator." 11 curves in 318 miles....

:zzz

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
What the shit are you doing riding in December dude? Glad you're ok.. But let that be a lesson. When there's snow on the ground, put the bike away.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Blasphemy.
It's kinda hard to feel bad for them after they crash if they're riding when there's snow on the ground.. That's like feeling bad for the guy that runs out in the middle of the shooting range.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Don't know how some of you people even sit on those bike with those ginormous brass balls you have. Riding in below 45 degrees in slippery conditions? Potential ice? Mountains of road salt? :tremble :brrr
You sharpen an ice cream scoop and take a couple of scoops out of the seat.
Ice cream scoop really isn't big enough but every little bit helps.
Plan B is to get married. Then the little wify keeps your balls in her purse.:tremble

·
Super Moderator
4,659 Posts
Sucks but really good that you are okay. Repair the bike, park for the winter, and start learning how to use the bus! :)

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
It's kinda hard to feel bad for them after they crash if they're riding when there's snow on the ground.. That's like feeling bad for the guy that runs out in the middle of the shooting range.
The same can be said of riding a motorcycle in general. That ice spot in the corner could have just have easily been a gravel spot in the summer.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The same can be said of riding a motorcycle in general. That ice spot in the corner could have just have easily been a gravel spot in the summer.
I figured someone would jump to that conclusion.. I've saved a couple gravel encounters, and there's no gravel on the track.. Ice is a completely different animal though. No saving that shit.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts