Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be long, but where to even begin... I took my screen name from the bike the man unit is picking up for me on the 30th. It will take me a year to pay him back but after sitting on more bikes than I can count I am ecstatic that I found a bike that first fits me and second is elegant. I should probably talk about how my interest in bikes started hmmm...

As a kid, my brothers were all in their 30th (pseudo adopted) and they all rode Harleys, were hells angels before they did toy runs and used to come visit and sneak "funny cigarettes" into the house and hide their bad tattoos from me. One of my earliest memories was a dream I had that I was later surprised to fine out was real. I was probably about 4 or 5 and the first brother came home to visit. His harley broke (as usual) and he needed to fix it, not wanting to get it dirty he tore it up in the living room. A little bit later the second brother drops in to visit mom and finds the first brother working on a bike and decides to break his down and do some brotherly bonding over Harleys. Lastly, a third brother hears that the first two are in town and drops by and tears his Harley up in the living room while mom and I hide in the bedroom and try to squeeze into the kitchen. I remember bouncing from brother to brother asking "what's that". When they left the sound of the bikes rumbling off made a huge impression.

As I got older they tried to get mom to allow them to ride me around but I was never allowed. Eventually, I lost one brother on a bike after he had been riding about 40 years. I always wanted to learn and figured I couldn't. I rode on the back of boyfriends 4 or 5 times and loved the feel but wanted to be in the front. It wasn't till I was driving back from registering for summer classes and watched the bikes pass as I sat on the richmond bridge that I declared, "I have to learn to ride".

I told the BF but he didn't really believe I would do it or do it quickly until I came home with the permit on a fluke. 100 bucks a week in my car will be about 40 a week in a bike and can we all cheer for my lack of commute hour toll. I had incentive and when I make deceptions I act firmly. so I read and read and I looked for a bike my size that I could afford. But the days kept getting closer to summer school. Finally I told him that I needed to learn on his BMW k75 AKA the old flying brick. It's big, it's heavy, it's top heavy and the balls of my feet only touch ground as long as I'm not on a slope. I dropped it two times standing still, road twisties and in a light sprinkle and dropped it one more time at a curve while praying for a bike my size. Note to other newbies as I stare at a sore and bruised wrist: practicing on a bike that you know is two big is not a good idea... desperation, is a pretty silly excuse </public service announcement>. I naturally assumed I would want a cruiser when he was whispering standard in my ear so imagine my surprise when I sat on the SV for the first time and liked it. But I wanted small, so I tried every 250 I could and was frustrated at how short they were and how they hurt my back. I couldn't even get my feet to work the shift right on the rebel with my long legs and big feet. I tried a 500 and I was all bent over in a serious sport position that while fun for weekends would kill me an hour and a half twice a day. But I kept looking and every time I sat on one, I learned a bit more about what I wanted. I fell in love with sport bikes but needed relaxed arms for the commute, I wanted a fairing and large headlights, elegant and curvy, visually distinct, perfect fit, responsive with a low center of gravity. Lastly, I wanted a strong feminine bike that didn't look like a real bike made simple for a "girl".

I found it, used with 25 miles on it (the guy decided he wanted something with a less relaxed position) and about 800 bucks off. I have learned a lot on my BF's bike, but I learned it all the hard way, I am looking forward to being on my fz6. Compared to the brick it's like sitting on air and the throttle moves if you sneeze on it. I've read "proficient motorcycling", "an idiots guide to motorcycles", a bunch of online articles and videos. I just finished the classroom version of the MSF and I take my first riding portion at noon. I'm a little scared since the fizzy is peppy but I feel so centered on her that I know this bike is perfect. It almost talked to me! Yet, even if it wasn't perfect, it will be nice just to have my feet on the ground :)

If you read this far, you have a pretty good picture of me. Hard facts: 28yo, mother of 7 year old twins, and in a relationship 2.5 years strong. Ohh, I have a mouse named spot. ~ciao~

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
That was a good read and agin.........Welcomw to SBN and many years of enjoyment.

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
Welcome Fizzy!!! I think it's great you found something to suit you...the FZ6 is an AWESOME machine...as peppy as the R6 but more comfort. A bike that you will not need to worry about outgrowing!!! AND you can take it to track days, if that is eventually your desire. Good luck to ya!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome. You shoudl try a ninja 250. Its a great starter bike, but im sure if you get somthign like that and get use to it, you will soon be in desperate need for somthign b*****.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Not much for reading a long post kinnda skimed it alittle ne how welcome

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
congrats on finding a great bike. yeah, the Fz's are awesome bikes. Sounds like the 250 just didn't fit for you, and sometimes they don't. sounds like you have made a good decision. Get your gear (sorry, not really a gear nazi, but I do believe in it) and enjoy your new addiction. YOu will practically auction off your twins' blood for gas money if you have to...

j/k...somewhat. :D

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
silent_R1 said:
congrats on finding a great bike. yeah, the Fz's are awesome bikes. Sounds like the 250 just didn't fit for you, and sometimes they don't. sounds like you have made a good decision. Get your gear (sorry, not really a gear nazi, but I do believe in it) and enjoy your new addiction. YOu will practically auction off your twins' blood for gas money if you have to...

Thanks everyone for the great welcome. As for gear, I am actually pretty close to a gear nazi after losing my brother so it's all good. Anyhow, I have good boots and a textile jacket that I don't like the idea of. I needed something to take the class in since it is HOT so I'll probably save it till I am better skilled. I'm getting a pretty beige jacket from hein gericke and choosing between Shoei and Arai is driving me insane. Today was a great day though, I passed the MSF class and can't wait till my bike is here next week.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Congrats on passing the class.

·
Registered
262 Posts
silent_R1 said:
YOu will practically auction off your twins' blood for gas money if you have to...

/\ +1

welcome to sbn!!

·
Registered
773 Posts
welcome welcome yayayayayay :banana

·
Banned
145 Posts
:welcome to SBN!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hey! Welcome! Can't be believe no one's said this yet, so when the 30th rolls around :needpics

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
fizzygrrl said:
Thanks everyone for the great welcome. As for gear, I am actually pretty close to a gear nazi after losing my brother so it's all good. Anyhow, I have good boots and a textile jacket that I don't like the idea of. I needed something to take the class in since it is HOT so I'll probably save it till I am better skilled. I'm getting a pretty beige jacket from hein gericke and choosing between Shoei and Arai is driving me insane. Today was a great day though, I passed the MSF class and can't wait till my bike is here next week.
I'm JEALOUS.

Welcome...and post pic of the bike, I am not picturing an fz6 for some reason.

This Hein Gericke you speak of...post pics of their clothes too...cause i don't remember trying them on. I tried on Vanson (made me look like i had a d*ck), Teknic (only the prowlers work), and some other people who didn't work out...

And yes, your thread is WORTHLESS without pics when the bike gets here!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Brownilus said:
I'm JEALOUS.

Welcome...and post pic of the bike, I am not picturing an fz6 for some reason.

This Hein Gericke you speak of...post pics of their clothes too...cause i don't remember trying them on. I tried on Vanson (made me look like i had a d*ck), Teknic (only the prowlers work), and some other people who didn't work out...

And yes, your thread is WORTHLESS without pics when the bike gets here!
Are you kidding, when my bike gets here even the kid pics in my wallet get bumped :lao

Here is a link to cycle gear , they get some heine gericke stuff, and I tried on the luxor jacket at a local ducatti dealership and am buying the maverick. The black jacket is last years model and has elastized leather in the back of the arms and the sides, made for the first, and so far only, jacket that didn't gap in the back and fit really really well (boobs were the boobs were, waist where the waist was, flare were the hips were), the frank thomas stuff fit as well but I am a gear nazi and wasn't comfortable with the quality... After trying on to much gear I wondered if they have have more curves in germany. They have a site but the english version isn't working so you have to download their catalog.

The FZ6 isn't all that common in the state yet, in europe they have a tiered motorcycle license so they have a lot more middle weight bikes. They started bringing the FZ6 over here in 04 I think and I have only seen two at a dealer, the one I am getting and is a SEXY bike that looks feminine (all curvy with amazing lines) without looking like a "chick" bike (i.e dumbed down bike for the nagging wife). Here is a pic but I think it is much prettier in person.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts