Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Q: "If all your friends went elbow-to-elbow into T1 on the Competition Course of BIR @ 125 MPH, would you do it?"

A: "No. I'd enter ahead of them at 135 so I could beat them to the finish line."

Well, the 'natural evolution' of my short time on 2 wheels has now come to this.

After my friends telling me that our local club racing organization isn't the scary cult I'd imagined, going to an event to see what it's like first-hand, and various coaches I've had during my very brief 2 yrs on the track telling me I've been ready to race and just need to turn my brain off...I'll be going for my CRA race license this Friday.

My wife, friends (mostly now made up of a small group of guys I go to trackdays with who also are either going for their licenses or already got them last year/last month...and people I am on the track with), coaches are my biggest fans. Although I did make huge strides in upping my mental confidence and braking zones/setting corner entry speed at Road America a few weeks ago, 2 + yrs in and I'm still not sure what my 'true pace' is. Guess we're all about to find out. New Rider School starts at 7am. New Rider race is at 5pm. Hopefully there is a scheduled New Rider Naptime somewhere in there....

My weekend was spent making all the modifications needed to pass tech on Thurs night. Surprisingly there really wasn't much more that I needed to do. Mostly just a little freshening up by way of an oil change and adding some additional failsafes. Cool to say, this bike will still see street action as the fairing swap from SharkSkinz to the street dress takes me about 30-40 min. And yes, all of the "bling" that didn't come off because of the track bodywork is staying on. The extra pound of additional carbon stuff isn't the reason I'm slow, lol.

Here are a few shots of the necessary mods to be CRA legal.

Oil fill cap & oil filter wired, clutch case saver:

Oil drain plug wired:

Left engine side & water pump housing case savers:

Coolant flush & refill with Engine Ice, horn disconnected (streetbike, lol):

Front caliper bolts wired:

Front axle pinch bolts wired:

Rear brake caliper bolts, sprocket nuts, and rear axle (wheel-side as well) clipped & all wired:

Yellow plates:

Street bike??? Not this week....

I haven't set a tire on the pavement of BIR since my off in T7 last August. Now it has new pavement from T1 thru a third of the way into T8 (the carousel), and has been widened by nearly 10 ft. Bike is now on D211 GP-As with warmers, so all the tire trust issues I've pretty much always had start at 0....though I'll still gradually work at seeing what they offer during the 3-4 practice sessions on Fri before the New Rider race. I've also done a couple of trackdays this season a much more physically demanding tracks (Barber & Road America), so I think my skillset is a bit higher than it was the last time I was at BIR.

I'm ready to get demolished, as the bike is completely overbuilt for MiddleWeight SuperSport Novice where I'd be more competitive skill-wise (forks, wheels, and monoblocs w/upgraded master are the reasons). So, the bike is pretty much only eligible for SuperTwins and MW SuperBike. So each race weekend is basically going to consist of me getting my butt kicked by waaaaay better riders on SV650s in ST, and getting annihilated by bikes just as modded as mine with ridiculously better riders on them in MW SBK. But that's getting ahead of myself.

First order of business: NR race. The awesome thing is two of my best friends are going for their licenses as well. One on a 1st gen SV650, the other on a monster of an '08 R6.

Wish me luck, because I'm nervous as hell! :-D

-Christian

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Good luck. What is your pace at RA? Buddy just went there and did 2:34's, is that good?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not really sure what my pace was since I didn't record anything or run a lap timer. Most of the 2-day was a wash because we were there the Mon-Tues of the week of AMA. Never got above 50 deg Monday before the rain started, so everyone's tires were acting like roller skates. I did a riding school Mon to develop one of my weakest areas (mainly due to not really knowing what my braking system is capable off) , so used I the 3 dry morning sessions as a pure learning day. Rained all night and thru the first session after lunch on Tues. So when the sun finally came out for the final 3 sessions (after scaring myself silly going out for one session after lunch in the rain and fog on DOTs), I just worked on shortening my braking zones and eliminating some pausing/off-throttle I had grown accustomed to doing.

I'd say '34s are very respectable, as seeing some of the best single lap times in the top 10 from AMA DSB were in the '20-25s.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Great posts. You give nice pics, great info, and you answer some of the things I think about. Good luck in your racing!

Reactions: ANORXIC'51

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Don't worry about racing the Superbike class, most of the bikes you'll see in that class are the same ones you'll find in the Supersport class...

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Congrats! I'm jealous, I don't think I have the funds to start racing. Maybe. Le sigh.

Reactions: ANORXIC'51

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you can keep a decent pace running in the A group at a track day, then you shouldn't come in last place. Racing is like a track day except with a drag launch in the beginning followed by super aggressive passing. Good luck, post some vids!

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great posts. You give nice pics, great info, and you answer some of the things I think about. Good luck in your racing!
Thanks! I try to be as thorough as possible because I don't have the chance to respond to threads/posts as often as I'd like to.

Best of luck Anorxic!
Wish I could be doing stuff like that...
I appreciate the well wishes. :) Your time will come when it's right.

Don't worry about racing the Superbike class, most of the bikes you'll see in that class are the same ones you'll find in the Supersport class...

Good Luck!!!
Thanks, man! Yep, that's what a few of my friends who are already licensed said. There are just a few extras that do the SBK race for practice/points....because no one is touching currently them as far as outright speed goes (cough...16 y.o. Kaleb De Keyrel...cough).

No not on the S1k.... I am planning on buying a bike already set for race. SV650 maybe but not sure yet.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
SV's will teach you so much about the craft it isn't even funny. Keep us in the loop with what ya get!

Here is my track baby.
*LIKE! :)

Congrats! I'm jealous, I don't think I have the funds to start racing. Maybe. Le sigh.
Dang! :-( I thought you were pretty much a month or so away from going for your CMRA license. It'll happen when it's time, because I'd say you're MUCH more ready than I am skill-wise to start racing. It'll come! :)

If you can keep a decent pace running in the A group at a track day, then you shouldn't come in last place. Racing is like a track day except with a drag launch in the beginning followed by super aggressive passing. Good luck, post some vids!
Lol, the super aggressive passing is the part I'll have to work on. Relying on torque to shoot me past people at exit works at track days, but I'm pretty sure that isn't going to cut it as my only weapon when it comes to racing. All the Friday practices are going to be used on faster corner entry and shortening my braking zones (which thankfully I made great progress in both at RA).

You will probably agree with them after you have a nasty highside and break all of your farkles.
Meh. I could get hit by a car on the street or taken out by another rider at a trackday and ruin all the pretties. If its gonna happen it's going to happen, but I sure as heck ain't regulating this thing to bike night/coffee shop duty. :)

Best words one of my coaches said to me after I kept feeling down after one of my crashes: "Ride it, crash it, fix it, ride it, crash it, fix it, ride it..."

Thanks for the support, guys. Means more than you know and can add you all to the list of people that I can't let down by getting cold feet and not trying....

-Christian

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Dang! :-( I thought you were pretty much a month or so away from going for your CMRA license. It'll happen when it's time, because I'd say you're MUCH more ready than I am skill-wise to start racing. It'll come! :)
I was, I was. But life is getting in the way. I've taken up skydiving along with riding, and in the long run jumping will be cheaper. I'm also having to deal with LSAT studying, Law school admissions fees, moving fees for all of that, and the law schools I"m applying to don't allow a job first year. It is just not feasible really, but in a few years I'll be done with school, hopefully employed, and hopefully more able to race. I may have to sell my track bike and pick up another one once I'm done with my schooling. Such is life, I love riding, but it is quite expensive. And I'm getting to the point where to get better costs a lot more money. I've come quite a far way with skills (although, you seem pretty damned ready yourself to race), but I'll get them back hopefully if I have to back out.

Good luck in your race. Keep the shiny side up! Drag some knee for me!

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
I wouldn't be doing it as a trade off, per-se. But a track weekend/race weekend of a $500 budget, then if it gets rained out. Versus a day of jumping with my license and own gear at about $100/day. One is definitely more feasible while in law school.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Haha, we will see. It also depends on if I go to work after graduating prior to law school :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts