Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would just like to thank everyone who told me to start small for my first bike.
I bought a 2000 ninja 500r. i love riding this bike.
I have been riding for a little over 2 months now and i am really starting to feel comfortable and in control.
I ride with a group in town and 95% of the bikes are b***** than 500's
there are a handleful of 600 SS's, a gsxr 750, an couple SV 650's an SV1000 and a TLR 1000 and a bunch more but you get the idea.
i have been into cars and trucks and stuff my whole life, always picked up on mechanical stuff very quickly. also learn my limits quickly.
on the last couple group rides, i have been trying to push my self to what i feel comfortable.
Right now im almost able to hang with the 600 ss's. well at least until they get a good straight.
I now know that when i upgrade to a b***** bike in the future i will be the best rider i can be.

Just seems that lots of people here getting fustrated with newb's asking the same 600 SS question.
Just thought you guys would like to know that some of us actually listen and appreciate your advise!

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Glad it's working out so well for you. Keep riding your own ride and don't get sucked into anything over your head. Before long you'll be hanging with all the bikes in your group (at least through the twisties as you say).

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
When I first started riding in groups I didn't ride my own ride. I was trying to ride what everyone else was riding. Knowing that the people I rode with have been riding for years and know the roads like the back of their hands. Very quickly though I realized that it was okay to be the last person and that even though everyone was waiting 10mins for my slow azz they were happy that I was there then having to go back and find me hanging off the cliff.

So don't worry about trying to keep up with them. If like most group rides they have points along the way where they stop to get re-grouped again. Work on your lines and learn to be smooth. Before you know it you'll be leading that pack.

Congrats!!! :twofinger

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Keep that 500 for a while. Take people up in the twisties when you become a better rider (seriously, take your time). One of the funnest times I have had and when I had the biggest shit-eating grin on my face is a couple years ago went on a ride with some guys back outside of Seattle, my bike was taken apart, so I took a friend's 1995 Ninja 500 that had a few mods (nice tires and suspension, stock otherwise) and showed up to the meeting spot. A few of the guys knew me, most didn't, there were alot of noobs that day, and after me completely dusting EVERYONE there on their 600SS's and litrebikes they all came up and were looking at the bike asking me if I had an engine swap or something :lol

It's the best feeling in the world to show up these assholes who think they are hot shit on their new 600 or litrebike on your "little Ninja"

But yeah, enjoy YOUR ride, don't think for a second you are required to keep up with the fast guys, follow that simple rule, and you'll do fine!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dont worry about me trying too hard to keep up. I wont do anything i dont think i can handle.
Usually with our group he faster guys will go up ahea and then stop and wait at every stop sign or lights and wait for use.
Usually ill ride for about 10 mintues at a nice easy pace just to make sure im all good. make sure i can concentrate on what im doing etc. then ill leave the slower group and run with the faster group. im always at the back of the faster group but im there and really enjoying it.
becuase of my previous driving record in my car i cant really afford to step up to b***** bike for at least another year maybe even 2. but then i got a friend that wanted to get a 600 when he done college but i convinced him he be better off buying mine at that time. hehe mine already sold! assuming it satys in its current shape.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Pretty sure "funnest" isn't a word.

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Congratulations and continue to keep the rubber side down! :twofinger

1 - 8 of 8 Posts