Sport Bikes banner

th good ? the bad? the ugly???? triumph 955i

3K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  g®eg™ 
#1 ·
so what do you guys think about the 2002 and up 955i. I was thinking about getting one just because they are unique. what are the + and -'s of this bike

thanks

#3 ·
Its a nice ride. It may not be competitive racing with the Japanese bikes, but you're prolly not plannig on racing so on the street you wouldnt really notice your a little down on poewr and up on weight. It looks nice and not everybody and their mom has one.

I dig them.

#4 ·
I rode one for a day and liked it. Performance/ergos are similar to a late 90's CBR 900RR (with a little more weight, but more power also). Looks are great, brakes are excellent. I would think that the only down points are : reliability (although they've improved) and resale value.

#5 ·
The easy way to put this is that it really doesn't do anything BETTER than the equivalent Japanese bikes. It's a success for Triumph to EQUAL their Japanese counterparts. It will stand out, and it has some soul, in my opinion.

#6 ·
My boy has a 2004 955se and he loves it. I ride with him all the time and rode it once. Great power, a little heavy, but its a very unique bike and it stands out. The FI fuel delivery is top notch though, you can tell when youre on the throttle. I say go for it if you want one, its definitely a head turner and the redisgn for 2004 really looks sharp. His bike can *almost* keep up with my ZX-9! lol

#7 ·
I looked hard at the 955i at the dealer here. I've always had a thing for triples. I liked the looks of it (it was an '03, the '04 is even better) and it'd be nice to see SOMETHING other than an R1 or Gixxer 1000 in the pack.
It got sold finally.
I think it'd be a nice bike. But then I like my 600R better than the SS bikes, so I'm not interested in the latest/greatest/fastest.
Next year when I'm in the market, I will look around for a 955i. Given a good deal on one, I'd have it in a second.

#9 ·
How's the aftermarket? The big downside to not having the latest/greatest/fastest is that the aftermarket blows goats. The 600R suffers from much the same problem.

#10 ·
I almost bought one for $5500...but changed my mind. Suzuki has always been number one in my heart. :p

#14 ·
freeride said:
The easy way to put this is that it really doesn't do anything BETTER than the equivalent Japanese bikes. It's a success for Triumph to EQUAL their Japanese counterparts. It will stand out, and it has some soul, in my opinion.
What would be the "equivalent" jap bikes? Last I checked the big 4 don't make any near-liter triples.

The current liter-class bikes from the japanese are very much track-focused, where the Daytona is more street oriented. Different philosophy behind the Daytona compared to the current pack of liter bikes.

#16 ·
In the aftermarket you can find most of the usual doo-dads, but you don't have nearly the selection you'd have for the more popular Japanese models. I've got pipe, rear-sets, framesliders, race glass. skykingproducts.com has a selection of billet and carbon bling if you're into that.

#18 ·
I recently p/u an 04 daytona 6 and i love it. It's not something you see everyday, handling is awesome, big bike look, but feels much smaller when riding. I'd go for it, hell i can't remeber the last 955i I've seen. Screw the aftermarket, there are things out there for it, just have to know where to look. Besides the aftermarket is designed to help seperate a bike from the rest, the 955i comes that way from the factory.

"Do It, Do It Now"

#19 ·
Awesome guys so i guess the generall consensus is go for it. Well either i'll get my insurance check if they totall it and i decide to totall my superhawk. If i keep the superhawk than its carbon kevlar fairings , and rearsets , olins front forks , full exhuast , maybe a yosh cam. That would be cool. Oh and a fox rear shock.

thanks guys a bunch.

later
john.g

#20 ·
If I'm not mistaken, they went back to the SSS after a year or two of a conventional unit? Definate cool points there. I'd be willing to give up some spec sheet and drag strip performance (that doesn't really get used on the street anyway) for uniqueness. Go for it!

#24 ·
There's actually tons of aftermarket stuff, you just need to know where to look. The Germans are crazy about Triumphs and have some cool bits. The big Daytona is a fast, comfortable street ride. Plenty fast enough to get you into trouble with the law and good enough handling & brakes to have fun on. The big plus for me? I don't see "my" bike at every stop light & gas station. One reason not to "need" so much aftermarket stuff... no need to make it unique 'cause it's pretty unique all by itself.

Find you local Triumph dealer & schedule a test ride. (the other good thing about shopping for a Triumph). :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.