Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I fell on my elbow with 600 rated textile(+elbow armor)....(low speed)
It held up great, not a scratch on the jacket but...
it ripped some skin on my elbow....

mutsu

·
Registered
442 Posts
I heard the vanson vent was the shizzle.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
I have beeb checking out the Joe Rockets, they seem to be pretty good.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
OFFICER737 said:
I have beeb checking out the Joe Rockets, they seem to be pretty good.
Hahahaha. You said "beeb". J/K. I have the A* Textile. Love it. Never been down in it though.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
could have been worse if you did not have the jacket on

·
Registered
457 Posts
Firstgear Speed Jacket (closed textile, not mesh, with leather elbows and shoulders) has worked fine for me in two lowsides. The first one, the elbow ripped away and I got a pencil eraser sized scab. I took it to a show repairmen and had it fixed. It worked totally fine the second time, and I still wear it.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
mikem317 said:
Hahahaha. You said "beeb". J/K. I have the A* Textile. Love it. Never been down in it though.

:eek:nfloor Dammit! I did didn't I? Friggin typos. My hands were going faster than my brain was I guess. Does that have the removable liner and if so where did ya pick it up and how much?

Sorry. not trying to hijack the thread, was just curious :D

·
pick your poison
2,972 Posts
you would think a jacket would protect you from injury, not be the cause of
it?

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
An obvious alternative would be leather, might've held up a little better. I'm only using my textile for trips around town where I'm not going faster than 50MPH. Otherwise I'm dressed in cow skin.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
mutsu said:
Hi,

I fell on my elbow with 600 rated textile(+elbow armor)....(low speed)
It held up great, not a scratch on the jacket but...
it ripped some skin on my elbow....

mutsu
I went down in leathers and landed on my left side (low speed high-side :lol ). Leathers were scuffed up at the hip, knee, and shoulder as well as the palm of my glove. The only mark on me was a pencil eraser-sized abrasion on my elbow. The only thing I can figure is the elbow armor rubbed my skin through the lining and long sleeve shirt I had on under the leathers. My shoulder was sore for a week or so, but it would have been MUCH worse without gear. Don't expect to hit the ground without a scratch.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
RayOSV said:
I went down in leathers and landed on my left side (low speed high-side :lol ). Leathers were scuffed up at the hip, knee, and shoulder as well as the palm of my glove. The only mark on me was a pencil eraser-sized abrasion on my elbow. The only thing I can figure is the elbow armor rubbed my skin through the lining and long sleeve shirt I had on under the leathers. My shoulder was sore for a week or so, but it would have been MUCH worse without gear. Don't expect to hit the ground without a scratch.
Out of curiosity, how fast were you going?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
mikem317 said:
Out of curiosity, how fast were you going?
This is embarrassing, but about 15 mph. :)
I lost focus taking a right hand turn and went a little wide into some gravel outside of the usual path for a right. The front washed then grabbed flipping the bike to the left. I flew about 5 or 6 feet and landed on my left side. Bike landed on its left side as well, fortunately. Frame slider and swingarm spool saved the bike except the shift lever and a little fairing rash. Gear saved me and I was able to ride the bike home about 50 miles shifting very carefully. It all happened so fast all I could do is think "Oh so this is what it's going to feel like to hit the ground." :lol

Standing there at the time and looking at the intersection, I couldn't figure out exactly what happened. It wasn't until I went back through the intersection again that I could see how I got into the gravel.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
This kind of impact wound can happen with any material although its more likely to happen when the gear is looser fitting. At the point of impact, the skin has some pressure adhesion to the gear and since they shift at different rates, you can get a small burn or tear. It's no big deal. It certainly ain't roadrash!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
ecir said:
If you are worried about ripped skin on the elbow when you go down in gear or not may I suggest a less dangerous hobby such as shuffleboard.

Any fall I walk away from is a good fall.
Well, I play ice hockey and sometime it's pretty brutal but fun....
Fast game like riding a bike.....

Like I said, just disappointed, just want to minimize any damage as much as possible and to determine what best for the money spent on protection.
As per Jim reasons....

if it was a rash or burn then the jacket did it's job but I lost some skin...
I've lost confidence in the jacket!

btw, It's a joe rocket ballistic series 600 rate I got at a closeout for 65$.

mutsu

·
Registered
424 Posts
It doesn't make any sense to me that you "lost confidence" in the jacket? The jacket did it's job, it kept you from a worse injury than if you have been wearing regular street clothes. Just because it took a little skin off doesn't mean it did a bad job. Like previously mentioned, the jacket may be too loose(which alot of people do) and that could have been the cause. That's not the jacket's fault. I have several Joe Rocket items and while I haven't crash tested any of them yet(thankfully) I know they would hold up well in anything but brutal accident. I wouldn't get so bent out of shape just because you lost a little skin. You can't avoid all injury by wearing gear, the point is to lessen it to a reasonable extent. I'd say loosing a little skin on your elbow is a reasonable extent.

Just my $0.02. There's nothing wrong with your jacket.

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
I don't care what kind of jacket you are wearing, if it is too big the armor will cause you injury. It happens to me all the time because it is hard for me to find a track suit that fits properly, the jackets are always too big and I am too broke to buy a custom. It's not the textile, it's the sizing. If you are upset about the armor causing you an abrasion, go buy a smaller, better fitting jacket or you can have someone alter your current one for you. Personally I'll take the "digs" from the armor than the road rash...it's all part of the sport.

·
Registered
46 Posts
blndebmbr said:
I don't care what kind of jacket you are wearing, if it is too big the armor will cause you injury. It happens to me all the time because it is hard for me to find a track suit that fits properly, the jackets are always too big and I am too broke to buy a custom. It's not the textile, it's the sizing. If you are upset about the armor causing you an abrasion, go buy a smaller, better fitting jacket or you can have someone alter your current one for you. Personally I'll take the "digs" from the armor than the road rash...it's all part of the sport.
+1

I heartily agree with blndebmbr, I'd take the armor pinching/scraping me over broken bones or hospital stays. Scrapes heal A LOT faster! :)

Your jacket did it's job as it was designed to do, have confidence in that. It saved you from what could have been a serious injury! I don't know if you were wearing a long sleeved shirt under your jacket, but that might be something to think about. When I wear my A* jacket and zip out the liner I can definitely feel the armor. If I wear a short sleeved shirt, I know that armor is even closer to my skin if I fall. To me, it's a good idea to wear a long sleeved shirt to add one more layer between my skin and my armor.

Truthfully though, you shouldn't expect to come out of a crash/fall without some minimal damage to you or your gear. Your gear will do it's job as it's designed to do, protecting your joints and your skin. You couldn't convince me (or any of the others here) that you've come out of every hockey game you've ever played without some kind of bruise or scrape. It's a risk you have to accept with any kind of sports, especially one such as speeding motorcycles.

I see you're in Seattle too. Where did you crash if you don't mind me asking? I hope you heal soon and get back out there! :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts