Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Duke and everyone,

And it shows my battery is not being charged with the motor running unless I rev the bike to around 4,000 rpm.

Last week I was riding my '93 Honda CBR 900rr with around 22,000 miles when it just died while I was idling at a red light.

I couldn't get the bike to start after that, the battery was dead.

So I had to buy a new battery and install it in the bike so I could ride it home.

Does anyone have any advice for what I can do to fix my bike?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
That might be normal for that bike. Just make sure to ride it a lot, keep the revs up a bit, and keep the battery charged.

Has it been sitting and/or only used for short trips?

Welcome back? Moved?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That might be normal for that bike. Just make sure to ride it a lot, keep the revs up a bit, and keep the battery charged.

Has it been sitting and/or only used for short trips?

Welcome back? Moved?
Thanks for the welcome Ray! :boink How have you and the gang been?

No, I'm still in the same place, just been working a lot.

When the battery did die, I had the high beams on, even at idle which I didn't realize until the bike died at the stoplight. And it's not a stock headlight, it's brighter than stock. Maybe that did it?

I only ride it once a week, but usually for 3-4 hrs.

Not all of it is highway miles though.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
no one ever belives me when I tell them my charging circuit charges at idle.

maybe that's why I'm like the only person I know that doesn't go through a battery every two years. my battery is the original still.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

maybe that's why I'm like the only person I know that doesn't go through a battery every two years. my battery is the original still.
Can I have your reg/rectifier and stator? :)

·
old member
13,079 Posts

I don't know about charging at idle, but I sold my '00 sv650 in '05 with over 47k miles and the original battery. The key was to ride at least 100 miles every time I started the bike. :)

Does a '93 Honda charge at idle?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tested the charging system on my 600f2 after it got a new stator/regulator-rectifier and the battery would be charged at as little as 1700 - 2000 rpm if I remember.

So 4,000 seems like a stretch

To add to the confusion, there are some riders on another website who own 900rr's who are claiming the bike doesn't charge the battery until it reaches 4,000 rpm.

They say it's normal and some are pointing at the 900rr owner's manual as proof, saying it clearly states there will be no battery charging until the bike is revved to 4,000 rpm

oh boy:bitchslap

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well what do you know?

Called a Honda dealership mechanic tonight and he told me what others have said, that it's NORMAL for my 900rr to not charge the battery UNLESS the bike is revved to 4,000 rpm.

So apparently my bike is fine.

I do have an aftermarket, high-intensity headlight on this bike and it was left on high-beam for a long time when riding, so it's possible I drained the battery that way?

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
I'd say definitely. they are running completely from the battery at idle.

I think most newer fuel injected bikes charge at idle because of the electronics.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Yes but 4000 rpm doesn't seem right even the bikes that don't charge at idle start charging just above ie 250-500rpm. If its not reaching max charge rate until 4000rpm that is normal but you should see some charging before then. Honda regulators of that era are pretty notorious it might be worth pulling the regulator off and cleaning the mounting bolts most regulators use the metal case as a earth referance over time corrosion and road grime build up will interfere with this referance and cause all sorts of wierd stuff. 5mins with a wire brush may fix it.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dunno what to think Diablo.

I'm actually a bit unsure whether to take the bike out for a ride again for fear it might die on me in the middle of nowhere like the last time.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I dunno what to think Diablo.

I'm actually a bit unsure whether to take the bike out for a ride again for fear it might die on me in the middle of nowhere like the last time.
Best bet is to get hold of a workshop manual and see what the manufacture specifyes after all they designed it. Its likely its avaliable free on the web somewhere.

What I would expect is a steady ramp up of voltage to the maxium output (usually just over 14 volts) from just above idle to 4-5000rpm depending on the manufacurere engine configuration etc etc, where the voltage should stay pegged at its maxium for the rest of the rev range. I would not expect a sudden step from nothing to maxium output at a specfic rpm. Might be worth running the test with the headlight turned off or disconnected. Although if the headlight was draining the battery with the headlight on you would not see the voltage "pick up" till much further up the rev range if at all. Which is the symptoms you have, yep I'd be checking it with the headlight off or the bulb pulled.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Diablo I appreciate the advice.

When I get back home I will make sure to try and disconnect the headlight.

Is it that hard?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm still gonna take this bike to the shop, because I need two new headlights (I'm gonna ditch the high intensity one) and have the chain adjusted too.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks!

Also I re-tested my bike today and turned on the engine...it fired right up again.

Put the voltmeter to my battery with the engine running and it actually shows that it's at 12.5 or 12.75 volts ...whatever it's supposed to be at normally....when the bike is at IDLE.

Now if I rev the bike to 3,000 it begins to show that the battery is being charged, if I rev it to 4,000 it REALLY shows the battery is being charged.

Does this sound normal?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Thanks!

Also I re-tested my bike today and turned on the engine...it fired right up again.

Put the voltmeter to my battery with the engine running and it actually shows that it's at 12.5 or 12.75 volts ...whatever it's supposed to be at normally....when the bike is at IDLE.

Now if I rev the bike to 3,000 it begins to show that the battery is being charged, if I rev it to 4,000 it REALLY shows the battery is being charged.

Does this sound normal?
What are the voltages across the battery at 3,000 and 4,000 rpms?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What are the voltages across the battery at 3,000 and 4,000 rpms?
Ray, I gotta go purely on memory and it isn't that great now that I'm 37.

But anyway if I remember right when the bike is at idle, the voltage is 12.7 but the lights that light up on the voltmeter are indicating that the engine is OFF...when in fact, the engine is on.

If I rev the bike to 3,000 rpm, then the green light for "Normal" appears under the section on the voltmeter for when the engine is ON.

If i rev the bike to 4,000 and beyond, then the final, last light on the voltmeter lights up too...this is a red light and it is for when the engine is ON.

Does this make sense?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Ah you have some kinda of digital LED setup. Probally best if you go down to the local auto store and buy a cheapish mutimeter so we have some real numbers. The led setup all depends on how it was designed and when it switches each LED on. I'm beginning to think your charging system is working as advertised now but a multimeter will eliminate any doubt.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Ah you have some kinda of digital LED setup. Probally best if you go down to the local auto store and buy a cheapish mutimeter so we have some real numbers. The led setup all depends on how it was designed and when it switches each LED on. I'm beginning to think your charging system is working as advertised now but a multimeter will eliminate any doubt.
Agree. I hardly ever recommend Radio Shack, but they have a nice compact digital multi-meter for about $25 that is good enough for most jobs around the garage or house. Numbers would be good to know.

I think your bike is performing as it should.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts