"Need to spend more time on that Rebel 250cc"

haha! :bsflag

i answered all of them correctly....

some had multiple correct answers
I'm still on a moped.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
how do you see the right answers? what was the answer about the red light one and it not triggering? are you allowed to go through that light? :x

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
gatorSMASH said:
how do you see the right answers? what was the answer about the red light one and it not triggering? are you allowed to go through that light? :x
thats what i mean, there were multiple "correct" answers for a lot of them.

same with sharing lanes in CA. there is no law that specifies lanes one and two only. it just says to use caution or some shit.

and you never get to see the "right" answers.....

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
jetblack said:
What's the point if you can't see the "correct" answers?
there isnt one. for shits and giggles?

thelazyone said:
Can you guys lane split in Cali? It's illegal in NY.
yes

·
center of an asian pop
3,480 Posts
thelazyone said:
lane splitting and year round riding is the reason i live in california :D

oh and i got the whole: you can ride a 500 or something of the sort...*shrug* guess i need to go back to a ninja 500 :neener

·
Common sense isn't common
986 Posts
thelazyone said:

Yea it was brought about due to Traffic and Aircoled bikes. Aircooled bikes were overheating from sitting in traffic for long periods of time.

·
Banned
7,982 Posts
TEST was BS...I'm to ride a Scooter 50cc or 100cc bike...LOL

Like others stated so many of the questiosn had more then one answer that coudl be right. Plus what was up with all the High speed cornering questions...how often on the public roads an I going "High Speed"...and by the way what is "High Speed" to me that is 130mph+ corner *shrug*

·
Banned
7,982 Posts
1) What bike would you buy?

The big one that I really like.

The one where I can have my feet planted flat on the ground.

The one that would be comfortable for me to handle.
It could be feet flat as that could be called a safety issue, if you can not touch then that probably not the best bike for a beginner. However also a bike that handles well and is comfortable is also very important for a beginner. The first part of this question is right on for someone that has ridden and not new to the game.

2) What is the choke?

A device that helps start the bike.

A device that gives the motor more power.

A device that enriches the gas/air mixture.
I'm no technician so I assume it is only "a", to help start the bike.

3) During the pre-ride check you should

Check the oil level , fuel level , valve clearance

Check the oil level, fuel level, air pressure of the tires and the chain tension.

Check the air pressure of the tires, the oil level and make sure the fuel is “on”.
I picked "b" here as checking the oil, fuel, air pressure of tires and the chain is important, but I could see making sure the fuel is turned on as important. I remember getting ont he EX250 and forgetting to turnt he petcock only to sputter a few miles down the road with me scratching my head...could be real dangerous on a bike that goes far with just the gas in the line.

4) What would be an acceptable average for the tire pressure (front/rear)

33/35 psi.

35/33 psi.

40/43 psi.
I'm pretty sure my FZ1 says like 42/42 for high speed riding and slightly less for normal riding. So I had no idea which of these and I would say depends on your bike and your tire what you put in it, there is no SET rule here.

5) Regarding the stopping power of the front/rear break, which one would be the most realistic statement

Front 60%-Rear 40%.

Front 50%-Rear 50%.

Front 85%-Rear 15%.
From my understanding "c" is the correct one.

6) When applying the brakes in a motorcycle, we should

Apply first the rear brake and then the front brake.

Apply first the front brake and then the rear brake.

Apply front and rear at the same time.
I was told at the ERC class to apply both at the same time. However I mainly use the front and then the rear.

7) If you lock the front tire at speed the bike will

Stop abruptly and you will go over the bars.

Wash out to one side or the other.

Skid and come to a stop.
Yes, you could go over the bars "stoppie". Or you could also wash the front out depending on the road or if your leaned over. However you could just skid and come to a stop because of the road conditions, however this would be rare but I have been there and done that before.

8) In a sudden emergency, you will apply the brakes

Suddenly and decisively to avoid hitting the obstacle.

Delicately and swerving at the same time.

Progressively.
I said Progressively, but in reality I probably swerve while applying the brakes.

9) To steer the bike at high speed into a corner you

Push the handlebar in the direction contrary to the turn.

Lean into the corner.

Turn the handlebar into the direction of the turn.
I always do "a" and "b"...this is where I am not sure what "high speed" means and if we are talking public roads. I do not go looking to drag pegs on public roads so I have no idea here...the most legal "high speed" would be 75mph in CO and other western states ont he Interstate *shrug*

10) The counter steering input generates a force called

Hemispherical.

Centrifugal.

Gravitational.
Is this Centrifugal? I have no idea nor did I care what force is used...LOL

11) When taking a corner and leaning the bike at high speed, what do you do with your body?

You lean with the bike.

You lean into the turn.

You lean to the other side to balance the bike.
You could say I lean witht he bike and lean into the turn, is this not the same thing. I do believe they mean to lean off the bike, and yeah I do that sometimes. Sometimes I stay upright and the bike is leaned over...LOL Call me wierd, my friends do.

12) Which one increases the stability of the bike at speed

Centrifugal force.

Gyroscopic effect.

Acceleration.
I have no idea, I admit it...who cares what force controls the stability of the bike at high speeds, and again what are considered High speeds?

13) The proper way of taking a high speed turn is

Come into it as fast as possible, look into the turn and counter-steer.

Apply the brakes and keep braking into the turn as you look into the turn.

Slow down before the turn, look into the turn and counter-steer.
I put "c" to slow down before the turn and look into the turn.

14) When taking a slow speed turn (3 to 5 miles per hour)

You lean with the bike.

You stay straight and only lean the bike into the turn.

You lean the bike into the turn and yourself towards the outside of the turn.
Is this not "b"?

15) In a high speed turn which force is the most critical?

Centrifugal force.

Gravity.

Momentum.
Again who cares...

16) If during a high speed turn you lean your body into the turn, the bike will

Gain traction.

Become unbalanced.

Turn faster.
I put "c" here, I have leaned my body into a 140mph corner and not become unbalanced...and your not going to gain anymore tractiont hen what the road/tire has to offer just from leaning.

17) The best and safest technique to stabilize a bike during high speed cornering is

Do not touch the brakes at all.

Slightly drag the rear brake.

Drag the front brake.
Is this a racing question becaus eI have no idea, other then not to touch either brakes, I woudl think touching them or draging them would cause the bike to "maybe" become unstable if we are talking in the triple digits here.

18) Increasing your speed in the middle of a turn will

Increase the radius of the turn.

Make the bike slide out of the turn.

Decrease the radius of the turn.
I don't know as I do not ride to the limits on the street. It seems your radius would stay the same unless you force the tire to slide some then making you turn faster.

19) The most important difference between a 2 cylinder and a 4 cylinder motorcycle (of comparable size) is

Power output in the 4 cylinder motorcycle kicks inharder than in a 2 cylinder. bike.

Fuel economy in the 2 cylinder is greater than in the 4 cylinder.

The 2 cylinder motorcyle pollutes less than the 4 cylinder motorcycle.
I figured "b" was right, betetr fuel economy. I know nothing of 2-cyclinder bikes.

20) You entered a blind turn up in a canyon road. Right when you are at the apex (committed),
you see right in front of you a patch of loose gravel…

You do not touch the throttle nor the brakes and try to ride it through.

You try to swerve (right or left) to avoid it.

You try to slow down (braking) and swerve to avoid the patch.
I picked "a", because I figured that is what they wanted to hear. However as I do not ride to my limit I would either increase my turn or decrease it. If thje gravel was all the way across the road I would just try and slow as much as possible before enterring the gravel and then not touching the throttle till I was through it. I use my brakes in corners *shrug*

21) What does “trail braking” mean?

Braking in the middle of the turn.

Dragging the brakes to the apex of the turn.

Braking hard before the turn.
I picked "c"...as I have no idea.

22) You are riding up in the canyons. A fellow motorcyclist coming your way “taps the palm of his left hand on top of his helmet”. What is he trying to tell you?

Slow down dangerous turn ahead.

Slow down, police ahead.

Speed up, road is clear ahead.
I picked "b", it means slow down...although I never have seen it used...I have seen in CA the circuling of a finger in the air to tell you there are cops ahead. I also had a lady on a chopper going the other way pat the ground to tell me to slow down police ahead...although the police were 15 miles up the road.

23) When “down shifting” a short (and very quick) on/off twist of the throttle is applied (this action is called: blipping). Why?

Because it sounds really cool.

To keep the engine running.

To match the engine to the road speed.
I picked "c", but really never have done this and really don't know why you would on the road. I guess this is a sport bike only deal.

24) When riding in town, what is the most common motorcycle accident?

Being rear ended at a stop sign or red light.

Crashing into a “left turning” vehicle.

Crashing at an intersection.
Assuming we go by the "Hurt Report" it is vehicles turning left in front of you.

25) If a bike doing 60 miles per hour needs 138 ft to come to a complete stop, how many feet will a bike need doing 30 miles per hour?

69 ft.

28 ft.

75 ft.
Is it really half the distance ("a") or a little more ("c")? Again probably depends on the motorcycle.

26) The most common problem that car drivers have with motorcyclist is

They can’t judge the speed of the motorcyclist.

They don’t see the motorcyclist.

They expect them to yield.
"a" is for sure, High beams do not help. "b" is a given, or at least this is what cagers try and claim although we know they saw the biker they just don't want to admit...blame insurance companies for this in telling you to never admit to anything.

27) When riding on the freeway, which is safer?

Ride at the same speed as traffic.

Ride slighter slower than traffic.

Ride slighter faster than traffic.
I always say to do "c" in riding slightly faster then traffic...however I do not think there is proof as to what is safer. I'm sure this could be argued in many ways.

28) Is it legal in California to split lanes on the freeway?

No.

Yes, between lane 1 and 2.

Yes, between any lanes.
Technically it is not legal per say. There is just NO law saying it is Not illegal. Also I do not recall there being anything in the books that say where and when to do it. I only have visited CA and rode there and lane shared I have no idea what the law if any says about it.

29) When carrying a passenger, what aspect of your motorcycle performance will degrade the most?

Braking distance.

Acceleration.

Turning speed.
Well Braking will change, and acceleration, but I picked turning speed...however I have never heard a stat on this so I have no idea.

30) If when taking a high speed turn you start to “slide” sideways, you should:

Brake immediately.

Straighten the bike (reducing lean angle).

Roll off your throttle slightly.
I would actually say "b" and "c"...then again who am I to say!!

31) You stop at a street signal (with left arrow) waiting to make a left turn. The signal cycles twice but does not detect you and the arrow stays red. You are stuck waiting. What do you do?

Switch to the lane on the right and go straight.

Keep waiting until a car comes behind you and tr****** the sensor.

Make the left turn (with red arrow) when safe.
I said to make the left turn when safe as that is legal to do so as the light is considered not working. It could be real danagerous to just change lanes, and hard to do in a safe maner if your pulled all the way up.

32) If you are taking a turn at high speed, how many degrees can you lean your bike before loosing grip? (in optimal conditions)

35 degrees.

57 degrees.

45 degrees.
Does this not depend on what type of bike you are on? 45 degrees is my guess, again I do not ride to my bike slimit on the street. I'm sure a cruiser is differant then a sport bike then a Gold Wing then a moped...lol

33) What is the most important technique when riding a motorcycle?

Constant awareness.

Keeping safe distance from moving objects.

Checking the rear view mirrors often.
I picked "a", however I feel it all is and I do all.

34) In the middle of a decreasing-radius right-hand turn, you will need to:

Put more pressure on the left handlebar.

Put more pressure on the right handlebar.

Roll off the throttle.
I picked "b"

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
who the fuck cares what the answers were. the questions were shit.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts